Freeway Pileup (3 cars) - BMW R1200GS Forum : R1200 GS Forums
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-Dec-2016, 05:15 PM (969) Thread Starter

Location: Washington, Idaho, Utah, Maryland, Nevada, Mississippi, Germany, Alaska, Texas, Italy...
Garage
Freeway Pileup (3 cars)

Guy merged onto heavy freeway traffic (moving about 50mph) at 75+mph, then he had to slam on his brakes because the cars in front of him were going, as I said, about 50. The truck between us obscured his brake lights (had a canopy on) and was pulling a trailer with lumber loaded on the left side. He slammed on his brakes (and hit the car) and I had mine squeezed as hard as I could and was trying to steer around - but cars/trucks stop faster than R1200GSA LC's... I was going maybe 15 or 20 when the front tire made contact with the back of the flatbed, and with the bottomed out suspension (I'm sure) and the sudden stop, the bike stoppied and threw me over the bars into the trailer while I watched it cartwheel once in the middle of the freeway.

I wasn't hurt. The bike dented the back of the trailer where there is a bar welded to the frame (just the bar was bent - fixable with a crowbar) - the car that caused it all had his rear bumper smooshed, and my bike took some heavy damage.

Bent stanchions, broke off the mirrors, destroyed my windscreen and X-creen, broke the front fairing and the instrument mounting stuff, the windscreen, headlight, tail light, top case, SW-Motech stuff and my new Ricochet engine guards and bar ends got little bitty scratches. Frame was good to go. Happened a couple of weeks ago. Crazy damned drivers. I'm new to my GS (277 miles) coming off of a Hayabusa and about 60K miles of street bikes and at least that on dirt bikes. Having to merge in heavy traffic makes a good following distance impossible, and this bike doesn't brake like a street bike! You live and you learn. Waiting on police report and insurance companies to figure it all out.

First accident of any kind, motorcycle or vehicle. Bummed that now that the weather isn't hellish (San Antonio) I'm not riding.
Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-Dec-2016, 05:16 PM (969) Thread Starter

Location: Washington, Idaho, Utah, Maryland, Nevada, Mississippi, Germany, Alaska, Texas, Italy...
Garage
More pics of the accident damage
Attached Images

post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-Dec-2016, 05:18 PM (970) Thread Starter

Garage
Limped the bike home (was about 2 miles from home! ) with some medical tape from the police officer that came to make sure I didn't need an ambulance/tow. Didn't see the bent stanchions until I got to the house.
Attached Images

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-Dec-2016, 05:55 AM (496)
Naviator

Garage
Glad that you're OK.
You may be amazed at the total $ bill to repair that GS unless you've had this sort of thing happen before.

Fly Navy
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-Dec-2016, 07:31 AM (563) Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetSpeed View Post
Glad that you're OK.
You may be amazed at the total $ bill to repair that GS unless you've had this sort of thing happen before.
Like I said - first crash of any sort, car or Motorcycle. I'm sure it'll be expensive, but worst case scenario, just the deductible will have to be met. I'm sure after I see the bill I won't ever complain about insurance prices again!

Speaking of that - what kind of rates are people getting for insuring their bikes? I'm paying a little more than I did with two bikes (DR650 and Hayabusa) but I think it's because this bike costs more than both of those together and probably twice the repair costs, lol.
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-Dec-2016, 08:34 AM (607)

Garage
Insurance costs me around $350 per year here in Pennsylvania...full coverage with increased limits wherever possible.
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-Dec-2016, 02:38 PM (860)

It might be trite at this point to say bikes can be fixed or replaced ... this could have ended up very differently ... hope you are all good.

Insurance costs for motorcycles in Australia vary quite a lot and depend on post code and how old you are. As an example my son, 21 years old, went to insure a Suzuki Vstrom 650 and the cheapest quote was $1,900 for comprehensive insurance! The same bike insured under my name, I am 57, cost $290. My Current 2014 GS costs $340 for full comprehensive insurance (new for old).

1985 BMW R65 LS 120,000 Kilometres
2009 Suzuki Vstrom 650 45,000 Kilometres
2011 Suzuki Vstrom 650 25,000 Kilometres
2012 R1200GSA 30,000 Kilometres

2014 R1200GS LC 50,000+ Kilometres (Current)
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-Dec-2016, 05:39 PM (985)

Location: Livin' in a Poor Man's Shangri, La. aka New Orleans
definite bummer sed8r, but glad you're ok
IN Louisiana, New Orleans, for the GS 2016, Geico is mid $700 for good coverage with uninsured motorist cvg. Progressive wanted close to $2k for the same coverage.
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-Dec-2016, 05:51 PM (994) Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Strangelove View Post
definite bummer sed8r, but glad you're ok
IN Louisiana, New Orleans, for the GS 2016, Geico is mid $700 for good coverage with uninsured motorist cvg. Progressive wanted close to $2k for the same coverage.
I just checked - for here in San Antonio - Geico only wants 550/yr with good coverage and uninsured motorist (I usually carry the $1000 deductible, since I'm not a speeder/stunter/no tickets in the last decade etc). Thanks for the heads up - I think I'm going to switch and save $130!
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-Dec-2016, 06:30 AM (521)
Naviator

Garage
Just for the 2013 GS thru USAA/Progressive I pay $317 per year coverage is:
BI/PD $250,00/500,000/100,000
UM/BI $25,000/65,000
Medical $5,000
Com/Col $250
Accessory Cov $3,000

Been with USAA for years and also have my other cycles, autos and home

Fly Navy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW R1200GS Forum : R1200 GS Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode