BMW R1200GS Forum : R1200 GS Forums - View Single Post - The Truth about the 1200 GS !!! Only the truth
View Single Post
post #6 of (permalink) Old 09-Feb-2016, 09:16 PM (136)
marc
GS (and DR)

Do you do your own maintenance? If your answer is yes maintenance isn't all that expensive. If you are going to pay the dealer then be prepared to...

1) pay $100/hour or more with typical maintenance functions coming in at 2-4 hours.
2) pay full price for parts and supplies.
3) pay for things that you might not need. It's not that the dealer is ripping you off, it's that a dealer will almost always replace parts that could possible be re-used. Example: I will re-use valve cover gaskets many times. I inspect them pretty well and I do have a spare set in my garage if needed. A dealer will slap on a new set because it's faster AND there's less of a chance that there will be a leak that would cost the dealer time to repair and harm his reputation. Those gaskets aren't cheap (about $100 for a pair, I think).

Doing your own maintenance isn't hard. It is easier if you buy some of the special tools. A GS-911 will let you reset the service reminder.

Edit: my maintenance costs for my '13 have been $1,127.05 over 25,000 miles. That includes the cost of parts (like those gaskets I mentioned) that are still sitting in my spares container. It also include the $236.92 I paid the dealer for the 600 mile inspection. I typically let the dealer do that one. It does not include the price of any special tools purchased nor does it include the $951.07 I've spent on tires. That amount includes a front tire that has not yet been mounted.

Last edited by marc; 09-Feb-2016 at 09:21 PM (140). Reason: costs

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome