Seat Help - BMW R1200GS Forum : R1200 GS Forums
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-Jan-2017, 11:15 AM (718) Thread Starter
Lets Ride!!

Garage
Seat Help

Hey All, I'm new here, and assume this has probably been beat to death, but I can't find anything on it, so here it goes again.

I'm looking to get a new seat for my 1200 GSA.
I'm thinking either Sargent or Saddleman. I've looked at the new Touratechs as well, as much as they turn me on, I'm wondering if the cooling technology will be too cold in the colder weather I often ride in.

Any thoughts, preferences or ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Ride Safe!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-Jan-2017, 09:58 PM (165)
Naviator

Garage
One thing that I can attest to regarding seats is that I spent hundreds ordering a leather custom seat and when I got it the seat was (human rights violation) uncomfortable, I rode with it a few hundred miles before it became bearable, after a few thousand the seat became very nice and now it has become the most comfortable ever.
Moral of my story is that even great seats often times need to be broken in like a good pair of boots so long as the shape is right for your ass to begin with, if the seat doesn't fit it will always suck and what's good for one may not be good for you.

Fly Navy
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-Jan-2017, 04:23 AM (432) Thread Starter
Lets Ride!!

Garage
Truth to that, I've learned the same thing with other bikes.

I was hoping the Factory seat would be a little better, but with nearly 20k miles on it. I'm finding my butt pretty raw quicker and quicker with the current seat. More worried about the pillion, as I'm taking the wife to ride through Alaska with me in a year or so.

John

'15 1200 GSA
'15 700 GS
'08 Honda 1800 VTX

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-Jan-2017, 05:26 AM (476)

I was in the same position as you a year ago. I tried the stock seat for a while and that didn't work then tried a used touratech and although it was better than stock it was still not very comfortable after an hour or so. I then ordered a Sargent and have been very happy with it since. The biggest difference I can see is that the rear of the Sargent is wider and flatter than the other two which is perfect in my case.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-Jan-2017, 11:34 AM (732) Thread Starter
Lets Ride!!

Garage
That's good to hear.. I've been kind of leaning on that one! Which one did you get?

Thanks!

John

'15 1200 GSA
'15 700 GS
'08 Honda 1800 VTX

Last edited by Pazzo15; 10-Jan-2017 at 11:50 AM (743).
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-Jan-2017, 03:41 AM (403)

Location: Livin' in a Poor Man's Shangri, La. aka New Orleans
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pazzo15 View Post
That's good to hear.. I've been kind of leaning on that one! Which one did you get?

Thanks!
ditto on Sargent for me, but fully agree w jetSpeed on this one. I got the low version of Sargent, just the rider (not pillion). I bought the lowest priced one. It is VERY firm, but I am not looking at replacing it.
there are lots of seat threads around though what JetSpeed says pretty much covers it all: you pays your money, you takes your chances. The advantage of the Sargent is you can send it back, and you keep your OEM seat.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-Jan-2017, 04:34 AM (440)

Garage
I replaced the stock seat on my K1600 with a Russel LT, and it was fine after a while but it took time. When I bought the GS the dude who sold it recommended that when I swap the seat (when, not if.....) go with a Sergeant seat. He swapped out his with one and has been quite happy with it. So far I am still with the stock seat (have not done any really long trips yet) so for now it is fine. If only there was a cheap way to test ride all replacement seats....

Good luck on the decision.

Bob
Victoria, BC
Canada

2016 R1200 GS Adventure
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-Jan-2017, 11:06 AM (712)

I bought the World Sport Adventure Touring. The other thing I like about it is the storage compartment underneath.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-Jan-2017, 02:22 PM (848)

Garage
I have saddlemen trac seat with lumbar. its amazing.
the lumbar support helps a lot too.

2016 1200GS ADVENTURE WITH ALL THE GOODIES
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-Jan-2017, 01:08 PM (797)
Not that senior.

Send a message via MSN to gdayjr Send a message via Yahoo to gdayjr Send a message via Skype™ to gdayjr
Air Hawk. Simple as that

I have a sheepskin cover on the seat, but i also have an Air Hawk on top of that as well.

Inflatable to suit your weight etc, and i find the extra few cm of height the combination adds to the seating position very comfortable.

I am 193 cm, or 6 ft 4" to you lot in the United States of the World. Weigh about 115 kg....you work it out.

https://airhawk.net/
rsmith likes this.

Graham Day. Sydney Australia
2005 R1200GS 93,000km (Stolen)
2004 R1200GS. 88, 000 km
2007 R1200GS. 34000 km.
current bike. 2010 R1200GS. 62000 km
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW R1200GS Forum : R1200 GS Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode