Tony is a soon to come GS owner - BMW R1200GS Forum : R1200 GS Forums
 2Likes
  • 2 Post By Ayep

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-Jan-2017, 04:09 AM (422) Thread Starter

Cool Tony is a soon to come GS owner

Hi all,

Just found what I believe is a good deal for a 2014 LC. Currently doing the final checks and steps before acquisition, but really looking forward to getting it and exploring the forum, exchanging ideas on the bike etc.

I've been toying with the idea of getting a GS for months now, with long hesitations between models, but it now seems well in line for it to be the LC version.

Hope to chat soon!

best,

Tony
x7289155 and inditx like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-Jan-2017, 06:05 AM (503)

Garage
Welcome to the group Tony! Looking forward to your participation.

RSmith

15 K1600 GTL
16 R1200 GS/Adv
17 HD Ultra CVO
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-Jan-2017, 07:15 AM (552)
Bike&Ski

Tony - I bought a 2014 last spring and found that there many variations of options and packages that affect the value and I found that several of the private sellers I spoke with were unaware of what options they had bought. If you have a clear understanding of what the bike comes with then great but if you would like some suggestions then PM me and we can discuss.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-Jan-2017, 07:26 AM (560)

I'm ticking over 40K on mine shortly. No issues other than TPS and rubber final drive boot failing.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-Jan-2017, 05:02 AM (460) Thread Starter

Thanks ! The bike I'm currently looking at doesn't have ESA, nor does it have cruise control, but fully equipped for the rest, even has the alarm. Ah, the rims are the alloy ones. The accessories also seem to have a massive effect on price (there again not surprisingly - it all adds up). The ESA clearly is a sought after option, and the prices reflect this. Although maybe still not as good (presumably ESA is fully active and works during riding conditions, and not only beforehand when you setup your riding conditions), I figure the normal suspension will be pretty decent, just needs to be manually adjusted beforehand.

I'm pushing my luck (moneywise) getting an LC - so it's either that, or a 2012 fully kitted model. In all fairness, I haven't tried the 2012 model, but the LC is a beast!
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 13-Jan-2017, 02:29 PM (853)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ayep View Post
Hi all,

Just found what I believe is a good deal for a 2014 LC. Currently doing the final checks and steps before acquisition, but really looking forward to getting it and exploring the forum, exchanging ideas on the bike etc.

I've been toying with the idea of getting a GS for months now, with long hesitations between models, but it now seems well in line for it to be the LC version.

Hope to chat soon!

best,

Tony
congratulations!

2016 1200GS ADVENTURE WITH ALL THE GOODIES
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 13-Jan-2017, 03:37 PM (901)
The ride of Life

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ayep View Post
Thanks ! The bike I'm currently looking at doesn't have ESA, nor does it have cruise control, but fully equipped for the rest, even has the alarm. Ah, the rims are the alloy ones. The accessories also seem to have a massive effect on price (there again not surprisingly - it all adds up). The ESA clearly is a sought after option, and the prices reflect this. Although maybe still not as good (presumably ESA is fully active and works during riding conditions, and not only beforehand when you setup your riding conditions), I figure the normal suspension will be pretty decent, just needs to be manually adjusted beforehand.

I'm pushing my luck (moneywise) getting an LC - so it's either that, or a 2012 fully kitted model. In all fairness, I haven't tried the 2012 model, but the LC is a beast!
So, let me see, that would be a non adventure, (cast wheels) so the fuel tank is smaller, from the sound of it, it's missing the "Touring Package" this includes: Dynamic ESA, On board Computer Pro, The GPS mount, Cruise Control and saddle bag mounts. Is the bike you are looking at have any of these? There is also a "Technology Package" that includes: Tire Pressure Monitoring, Heated Grips, Hand Gaurds, Rides Modes Pro and the LED Headlight? The bike have any of these? "Ala cart" items include: Key-less Ride, Auto-stability control, Shift Assist Pro, and a few other goodies.

Later years have more stuff available. In reality not having these goodies is not in the least going to ruin your ride.

That what I (think I) know. In reality the packages BMW offers from year are sort of nebulous, and the fact (to me) the bike donsent have "rides mode pro" isn't going to make any and difference. It's about the ride, the people, the scenery, the road, the whimsy of the moment. In fact these items not being installed are fewer things to go wrong.

- John
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 14-Jan-2017, 08:38 AM (609) Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bumblebee View Post
So, let me see, that would be a non adventure, (cast wheels) so the fuel tank is smaller, from the sound of it, it's missing the "Touring Package" this includes: Dynamic ESA, On board Computer Pro, The GPS mount, Cruise Control and saddle bag mounts. Is the bike you are looking at have any of these? There is also a "Technology Package" that includes: Tire Pressure Monitoring, Heated Grips, Hand Gaurds, Rides Modes Pro and the LED Headlight? The bike have any of these? "Ala cart" items include: Key-less Ride, Auto-stability control, Shift Assist Pro, and a few other goodies.

Later years have more stuff available. In reality not having these goodies is not in the least going to ruin your ride.

That what I (think I) know. In reality the packages BMW offers from year are sort of nebulous, and the fact (to me) the bike donsent have "rides mode pro" isn't going to make any and difference. It's about the ride, the people, the scenery, the road, the whimsy of the moment. In fact these items not being installed are fewer things to go wrong.

- John
Indeed, cast wheels, dynamic + confort + technology packs, and were later added the alarm and pro-shifter. It has the GPS mount, but not the wheel controller that goes with it (I guess I can order that and add it on later). It has topcase, the left travelcase (need to invest in the right one), and aftermarket cylinder head crash guards (the bars - not the covers) Apart from that from what I can tell, it's missing :
- Dynamic ESA (that's potentially the "biggy" - although I have mixed feelings about it, it seems to add a fair bit of value to the bike. Not sure how a pair of Ohlins slapped on would compare!)
- Keyless ride (the one I'm looking at was produced in March 2014, keyless ride wasn't around yet)
- Preparation for navigation system (controller missing)
- Cruise control

In the RSD, "Pro Shift Assistant (0222) is greyed out, I'm not sure why? The shifter was added later on and configured via BMW, it seems to work a treat!

What options can be added after production? Some seem obvious, like the spoke wheels I'm sure would be easy to switch over to, but what about cruise control, navigation controller thingy, and of course ESA? (Pretty sure keyless ignition is out)

Thanks for the advice. This would be my first GS, and coming from a 20 year old 500cc Honda, I'm sure it's going to be a slap in the face regardless of missing options! My only hesitation would be going for a 2012, either considerably cheaper with no options, or slightly cheaper with the whole package. But the bike I'm looking at seems like a good deal, only 14000km, no signs of abuse, still under warranty (until sept 2017), and only 1-2k more expensive than the 2012 models being sold. It's currently being serviced and the owner will contact me as soon as that is done, which is great as it leaves me time to look into everything (like that RSD tool - amazing).

Thanks again for your advice !

Tony
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 14-Jan-2017, 10:33 AM (689)

Garage
Tony...go to www.bmwvin.com and enter the serial number...this will show what the build options were from the factory and date of production...very handy site.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 17-Jan-2017, 04:07 AM (422) Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by grahamspc View Post
Tony...go to www.bmwvin.com and enter the serial number...this will show what the build options were from the factory and date of production...very handy site.
Hi,

Thanks for that, but I took a look at the official RSD which gave me all of the info above
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW R1200GS Forum : R1200 GS Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode