Coolant change on LC gs - BMW R1200GS Forum : R1200 GS Forums
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By jpel

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 28-Oct-2016, 07:20 PM (014) Thread Starter

Coolant change on LC gs

I reviewed the procedure on line for changing the coolant on the liquid cooled GS. The post I reviewed had the system being flushed several times with distilled water. I felt that was a bit of overkill. I've never known anyone to do multiple oil changes. There is always some "old" oil left in the engine, it just gets diluted by the fresh oil. Anyway, after pulling the right side panel to gain access to the radiator cap, I got down and removed each drain plug on the underside of each cylinder. Kind of surprised at just how little fluid is in the system. Drain plugs back in, I pull the lower radiator hose only to find that everything is already drained. The only thing I couldn't empty was the reservoir. There is a molded "baffle" that prevents any tube from going in to siphon out the contents. Can't get to the bottom hose for removal due to lack of space. So I fill up the radiators and top off the reservoir to dilute the reservoir contents. Run the engine up to temp while the radiator cap is still off to open the thermostat and all done. If anyone knows of a way to empty the overflow reservoir please share.

Jim
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 29-Oct-2016, 06:57 AM (498)
Naviator

Garage
The cooling system holds just 1.5L of coolant.
To drain the reservoir I removed the seats and panels and removed the single screw attaching it and tipped it upside down.
You may find that completely evacuating the system of air is a problem, I ended up having to use a vacuum purge tool to get all of the trapped air out of the system.
I also discarded the protruding filler adapter on the underneath side of the right head and replaced it with a drain plug the same as on the left side, this adapter is used to fill/purge the system at the factory during assembly and never used again.

Fly Navy
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-Nov-2016, 07:15 PM (011) Thread Starter

Coolant Change

A couple of days after the coolant change, I saw the bolt holding the reservoir you are referring to. I've put quite a few miles on it since the coolant change with no signs of
overheating.
JetSpeed likes this.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-Nov-2016, 06:54 AM (495)

What is actual service recommendation for antifreeze change? Every few years? Assume a 50/50 mix (distilled)?
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-Nov-2016, 07:14 AM (509)
Naviator

Garage
BMW doesn't list coolant changes in the maintenance schedule for some odd reason but the coolant used in the LC engines is G48 and is typically considered to have a service life of 3 years.
In the U.S I have found that Pentosin Pentofrost NF is sold at O-Reilly's and Autozone and is G48 equivalent, it comes non per-diluted so you would want to mic 50/50% with distilled water.

Fly Navy
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-Nov-2016, 09:21 AM (639)

Garage
I believe this also works and is reportedly what BMW is using, just repackaged/relabeled.

RAVENOL J4D2022 Coolant Antifreeze

It is available on line at various outlets.

2016 R1200GSW
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-Nov-2016, 03:42 PM (904)
Naviator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShireReeve View Post
I believe this also works and is reportedly what BMW is using, just repackaged/relabeled.

RAVENOL J4D2022 Coolant Antifreeze

It is available on line at various outlets.

This RAVENOL coolant is G11, suitable for VW and Mercedes Benz.
BMW uses G48 compliant coolant which is manufactured for them by BASF.

Fly Navy
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 13-Nov-2016, 09:11 AM (632)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetSpeed View Post
This RAVENOL coolant is G11, suitable for VW and Mercedes Benz.
BMW uses G48 compliant coolant which is manufactured for them by BASF.
Could be, I don't know. I have no personal knowledge about what BMW uses or doesn't use. All the European based coolants appeared to be made by BASF and relabeled by others.

I know that in other BMW motorcycle owner forums the Ravenol was reported to be the right stuff. What you're posting is new to me.

There are several brands of G48 coolant available. Including US made Zerex.

Here's an interesting quote from the Zerex product sheet:

"Zerex G 48 is compatible with better brands of coolant
commonly available."

What I found in the coolants charts is G48 is dyed a bluish green color, while G11 is a deep blue color, which is the color of my coolant.

I also saw that BMW appears to use both G11 and G48, and in some on-line sources it says that G48 and G11 can be mixed together with the G11 having a higher silicate content. From the verbiage of what I've read, it appears that G11 is an older spec while the newer G48 is more environmentally friendly, made with organic compounds.

Interesting discussion.

2016 R1200GSW
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 19-Nov-2016, 08:59 AM (624)
Naviator

Garage
The Zerex comment was most likely derived from something lost in translation but none the less I would probably not use Zerex in my BMW.
IMHO the best coolant on the market that is suitable for the GS is Honda Type 2 but with that said I would wager a bet that virtually any coolant would work just fine added to a fully flushed system, many people use the regular old Prestone green stuff in everything without any problems.

Fly Navy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW R1200GS Forum : R1200 GS Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode