2010 1200GS not priming, FCM ok. - Page 4 - BMW R1200GS Forum : R1200 GS Forums
 15Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 45 (permalink) Old 16-Dec-2016, 06:09 PM (006)
The ride of Life

Garage
Elektronische Wegfahr Sperre = Electronic immobilizer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by marc View Post
The english translation is Engine Wont Start. Very easy to remember
And that's what it's supposed to do. Elektronische Wegfahr Sperre = Electronic immobilizer.

Could this be the dreaded chip antenna around the ignition key problem some bikes had about that time? I doubt it, but something was evidently wrong with it, because the bike now runs with the new module. Right?

Hmmm.
PoppyGreg likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 45 (permalink) Old 19-Dec-2016, 12:51 AM (285) Thread Starter
Greg

BMW dealer is hopeless

Once I get it started, aerostart or prime with the GS911, it will cut out a couple of times while it warms up, but once warm its fine.
Sounds so much like a dry solder joint, except I can run the pump anytime, with the GS911.
Something in the start sequence is not telling the BMSK to feed power to the fuel pump.
Dealer is useless, will not return calls, after having it for weeks, they concluded exactly what I had presented them in a letter, before they touched it.
Going to try and recover the bike from them tomorrow.
Will see who yells the loudest.

Last edited by tambox; 22-Dec-2016 at 10:23 PM (182).
post #33 of 45 (permalink) Old 19-Dec-2016, 02:15 AM (343) Thread Starter
Greg

Changed my attitude

I was psstdd off with the dealer tonight, after reading consumer laws, I see why they are trying to make me take it away.
I have returned it to the dealer I purchased it from, they are required to have supplied me a motorcycle of merchantable quality.
It is obviously an unusual fault, taking a guess, its an intermittent connection, a manufacturing fault.
The rules are, it has to be taken back to where I purchased it and THEY have to deal with BMW to get it fixed.
I have played these games before, we'll see where this ends up.
A BMW R1200 GS with an electronic fault that stops the bike after 5 years is not reasonable for the $quality$ of the bike.
Lucky I have a spare bike to ride.

post #34 of 45 (permalink) Old 19-Dec-2016, 03:39 PM (902)
The ride of Life

Garage
Totally off subject..

Quote:
Originally Posted by tambox View Post
Once I get it started, aerostart or prime with the GS911, it will cut out a couple of times while it worms up, but once worm its fine.
Sounds so much like a dry solder joint, except I can run the pump anytime, with the GS911.
Something in the start sequence is not telling the BMSK to feed power to the fuel pump.
Dealer is useless, will not return calls, after having it for weeks, they concluded exactly what I had presented them in a letter, before they touched it.
Going to try and recover the bike from them tomorrow.
Will see who yells the loudest.
Areostart? No, my fave for completely worn out and overused diesel engines is THRUST starting fluid. Uh oh, wont start? Let me give this engine THRUST... Never really worked...it's just the name is so funny.

The concept is the either in this stuff has a much lower flash point than diesel or gas, it'll tend to ignite just on compression alone. My guess is that there is no spark, or perhaps fuel, the aerostart pre-ignites and gets the engine sputtering and the ECU "thinks" the engine has started and switches the fuel pump on and all is good, until you need to start it again.

At one time in the past if I brought a bike in to my dealer with that sort of a problem the entire shop would be all over it until they figured out whet the issue was. Today they would just start swapping parts out until it ran again.

- John
Sed8r likes this.
post #35 of 45 (permalink) Old 19-Dec-2016, 05:01 PM (959) Thread Starter
Greg

Hi John,

The "aerostart" copy product that I use is called "Start ya bastard" by Nulon.
If you like product names.
gdayjr likes this.
post #36 of 45 (permalink) Old 20-Dec-2016, 09:52 AM (661)
The ride of Life

Garage
Great Nmae...

Quote:
Hi John,

The "aerostart" copy product that I use is called "Start ya bastard" by Nulon.
If you like product names.
That's a good one! Only in AU. It says "Frail people who are not strong enough to pull a start cord quickly enough" in the product literature, among other things.

- John.
post #37 of 45 (permalink) Old 21-Dec-2016, 04:49 PM (950)

Garage
This is inspiring me to

Start a new thread. "aussie - isms" or funny terms/names for things... To put em here would be further off topic that Hubble can see...
post #38 of 45 (permalink) Old 22-Dec-2016, 07:06 PM (045) Thread Starter
Greg

I have an answer, almost.

When I attended their shop and let them know I was not happy, they admitted they hadn't bothered to contact me/return calls/emails, as they don't know what it is, great customer service.

The dealer has done a lot of tests and cannot get their test equipment to find anything faulty.
Therefore they are not willing to state where the problem is, but they concluded it is probably in the BMSK.
They did not want to change it as its costs $3k+, then it may not be the problem.

They started off, the bike is 6 years old, we have changed these before and they do fail, you will have to pay for it.
They also changed the fuel pump, today, under a recall.
Why was the pump changed? "manufacturing fault".
The BMSK works fine once the bike has warmed up, this implies a solder/copper fault in/on the PCB, which is a manufacturing fault, they agreed
So, you will do the fuel pump for free after 6 years, but not the BMSK, even though it has a manufacturing fault?
How many of these have you changed? "5 or 6 a year"
In 1200GS? "No, don't think we ever have"
"we will discuss this problem with BMW"

That's it till next year, enjoy waiting and have a good Christmas, I won't.

PS, Might think about "aussie - isms", when my sense of humour has returned.

Last edited by tambox; 23-Dec-2016 at 02:54 PM (870).
post #39 of 45 (permalink) Old 23-Dec-2016, 06:08 AM (506)

Quote:
When I attended their shop and was not happy, they admitted they hadn't bothered to contact me/return calls/emails, as they don't know what it is, great customer service.

The dealer has done a lot of tests and cannot get their test equipment to find anything faulty.
Therefore they are not willing to state where the problem is, but they concluded it is probably in the BMSK.
They did not want to change it as its costs $3k+, then it may not be the problem.

They started off, the bike is 6 years old, we have changed these before and they do fail, you will have to pay for it.
They also changed the fuel pump, under a recall.
Why was the pump changed? "manufacturing fault".
The BMSK works fine once the bike has warmed up, this implies a solder/copper fault in/on the PCB, which is a manufacturing fault, they agreed
So, you will do the fuel pump for free, but not the BMSK, even though it has a manufacturing fault?
How many of these have you changed? "5 or 6 a year"
In 1200GS? "No, don't think we ever have"
"we will discuss this problem with BMW"

That's it till next year, enjoy waiting and have a good Christmas, I won't.

PS, Might think about "aussie - isms", when my sense of humour has returned.
I sympathize completely with you. I have a similar dealer with the $3000 fix mentality. When my ABS rear brake started acting up they came to the conclusion that I needed a complete new ABS booster box for $3000.00. Turned out to be an air bubble I found on my own. I love my bike and hate my dealer.

'05 1200 GS
post #40 of 45 (permalink) Old 11-Jan-2017, 02:55 AM (371) Thread Starter
Greg

Dust gatherer

My bike has now been put in the too hard basket (have jobs that will pay us better) and is sitting there collecting dust, even after they promised to discuss this with BMW, before Christmas.
Nothing has been touched or has happened.
Decided to start quizzing Bosch Germany for some help with fault diagnosis, to point the BMW dealer in the right direction.
Happy new year, for some.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW R1200GS Forum : R1200 GS Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode