Toolkit and some spares. - BMW R1200GS Forum : R1200 GS Forums
 4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-Dec-2016, 11:04 PM (211) Thread Starter

Toolkit and some spares.

During the past week or two I have been assembling a toolkit based on the toolkit suggestion here on this site.

So far I think my toolkit is about 80% complete. When fiddling with the bike I also try to use only the tools in the toolkit.

What spare parts would you guys suggest carrying for the 1200?

I am thinking in the line of some stainless steel nuts and bolts and other small parts that you might need by the side of the road.

Any suggestions are welcome!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-Dec-2016, 06:31 AM (522)

Garage
For all my bike took kits, I always add some duct tape (100mph racing tape), mechanics wire, and several sizes of zip ties. I just roll the duct tape around a 3/8" bolt several times. None of these items add much weight or take much space, but can be indispensable for trail/road side temporary repairs.

RSmith

15 K1600 GTL
16 R1200 GS/Adv
17 HD Ultra CVO
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-Dec-2016, 08:44 AM (614)

Look for the model specific toolkits sold on ADVDesigns.com:

Ultimate Compact Tool Kit for BMW R1200GS

I bought the kit for my '16 1200GS and it's a very high quality kit that packs up very intelligently and small. Sure, there are tools in it that I already have but for $300, the convenience of just leaving it packed for my rides is worth it. And, if you're not sure what tools your specific bike needs, it's nice to have that thought out for you as the kit is model and year specific.

I also like it that these guys are a small, family owned business based in the USA.
rsmith likes this.

Current scooters:
'14 NE KLR 650
'16 R1200GS Triple Black
'16 KTM Super Duke 1290R

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-Dec-2016, 09:26 AM (643)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrayBeard View Post
Look for the model specific toolkits sold on ADVDesigns.com:

Ultimate Compact Tool Kit for BMW R1200GS

I bought the kit for my '16 1200GS and it's a very high quality kit that packs up very intelligently and small. Sure, there are tools in it that I already have but for $300, the convenience of just leaving it packed for my rides is worth it. And, if you're not sure what tools your specific bike needs, it's nice to have that thought out for you as the kit is model and year specific.

I also like it that these guys are a small, family owned business based in the USA.
I actually have this took kit too. I felt that the kit was a bit over priced. I had to take out a few useless parts such as the T60 that comes with the kit. You can get the bits from amazon for $10-11 each too.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00TU3UCBK...I3403OC2AO0LQV
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0043C55AG...TX01LYFF&psc=1

The Promach spark plug tools/front wheel removal tool is more compact than the AdvDesign version.
Promach Dual Tool - Promach

i would recommend adding a small tube of quiksteel in your field kit.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-Dec-2016, 12:52 PM (786)
GS (and DR)

Spare parts... electrical tape, electrical wire, safety wire, cable ties, duct or gaffers tape.

I have used all of the above helping people get back on the back on the road. I added safety wire after a group of riders almost ran out of cable ties while sewing a R100RS fairing back together after a crash for the 500 mile ride home.

See https://smbc.snafu.org/trips/2010/dvspring/day-2/ for pics of that repair.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-Dec-2016, 01:47 PM (824)

The ultimate tool...a credit card
Dr. Strangelove, rsmith and Sed8r like this.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-Dec-2016, 07:09 AM (548)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clay View Post
The ultimate tool...a credit card
Never leave home without it. I have also been looking at various tool kits, the one from ADVDesigns is nice and seems to have everything there in a nice wrapped package but I am am also looking at making my own custom kit. I carry a full tire repair kit including compressor but am slowly assembling the tool kit. Good winter project.

Bob
Victoria, BC
Canada

2016 R1200 GS Adventure
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-Dec-2016, 07:50 AM (576)
The ride of Life

Garage
Cruz Tools

I carry the Cruz Tools Road Tech B1 for BMW motorcycles. I also added the T-50 Torx wrench just in case I need to remove the rear tire. I have one of these on the RT, also going to get one for the GS. It works perfectly every time. Just the fact I have is almost guarantees I'll never need it. So far, I've this is true!. Another thing I keep on the bike is a Stop 'n Go tire plug kit. (tubeless tires only, thank you) Just because I have it means I'll never need it.

Is it the best? Probably not. The tools are of reasonable quality, way better than Harbor Freight, not as good as Snap-on Is it full of various size Torx wrenches that fit various things on the bike? Yes.

See it here:
Metric Tool Kits - CruzTOOLS

Scroll down to see the B1 kit. It's available from Amazon, $113.95.

- John
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-Dec-2016, 08:54 AM (620)

I am prone to creating a hodgepodge of a tool bag and finally decided to buy a proper kit, got the Motohansa. It will cross over nicely from my GSA to the 1600GT. I also carry an assortment of washers and fasteners that I have collected when I swap out OEM for aftermarket parts. Also tire plugs and I use the BestRest Cycle pump as it has a life time warranty. I've had mine for 8 years and it is still going strong. Since I travel far off the reservation I carry a qt of oil and some JB Weld in addition to what the others have recommended.

'13 BMW K1600GT
'08 Suzuki DR650
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-Dec-2016, 12:05 AM (253) Thread Starter

Thanks to the replies I have added the following to my list:

Duct Tape
Additional Zip Ties ( I used to ride a KLR years ago so I always have zip ties)
Electrical Wire (Havent thought of this)
Safety Wire

and for mending stuff:

Pattax Clear Epoxy (Two part clear fluid epoxy)
Pratley Steel Putty (Two part putty)
Paper Clips

My idea with the paper clips is the following:

Get rid of the plastic cover then roughen the paper clip with a dremel.

When doing a repair with the putty or epoxy, you can use the paper clips as steel-reinforcing to further strengthen the repair.

I have done this once with a vacuum cleaner and the part I repaired never broke again.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW R1200GS Forum : R1200 GS Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode