Front end rebuild question - BMW R1200GS Forum : R1200 GS Forums
 4Likes
  • 1 Post By JetSpeed
  • 1 Post By Sed8r
  • 1 Post By JetSpeed
  • 1 Post By Sed8r

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 17-Dec-2016, 06:06 PM (004) Thread Starter

Location: Washington, Idaho, Utah, Maryland, Nevada, Mississippi, Germany, Alaska, Texas, Italy...
Garage
Front end rebuild question

Rebuilding front forks - got the new stanchions today and installed them. There seems to be a problem - they don't depress into the slide tube (lower part of the forks) all the way. I've taken them apart and reassembled exactly as shown in the service manual (off the bike, so there is no binding with the axle or fork bridge - each of them, separately do not go down - they seem to bottom out on something. I know there are spacers and a bushing in each of the slider tubes - certainly those shouldn't be a problem, should they? I'm at a loss. Yes, I've removed the bleeder screw so it wasn't air pressure keeping them from compressing, and yes, I've re-built front suspensions before on other bikes. Technically - those should be more difficult (and were - though hardly "difficult"), as there are no springs or valves in the forks of the '16 R1200GS LC Adventure.

Any ideas? I'm scratching my head.

“There are only three sports: bullfighting, motor racing, and mountaineering; all the rest are merely games.” -- Ernest Hemingway
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 17-Dec-2016, 11:00 PM (208)

Manual

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sed8r View Post
Rebuilding front forks - got the new stanchions today and installed them. There seems to be a problem - they don't depress into the slide tube (lower part of the forks) all the way. I've taken them apart and reassembled exactly as shown in the service manual (off the bike, so there is no binding with the axle or fork bridge - each of them, separately do not go down - they seem to bottom out on something. I know there are spacers and a bushing in each of the slider tubes - certainly those shouldn't be a problem, should they? I'm at a loss. Yes, I've removed the bleeder screw so it wasn't air pressure keeping them from compressing, and yes, I've re-built front suspensions before on other bikes. Technically - those should be more difficult (and were - though hardly "difficult"), as there are no springs or valves in the forks of the '16 R1200GS LC Adventure.

Any ideas? I'm scratching my head.
BMW R1200 '13 to '16 Liquid-cooled Twins (Haynes Service & Repair Manual)
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 18-Dec-2016, 06:14 AM (510) Thread Starter

Location: Washington, Idaho, Utah, Maryland, Nevada, Mississippi, Germany, Alaska, Texas, Italy...
Garage
Thanks, but I have the BMW repair and service data disc manual already.

“There are only three sports: bullfighting, motor racing, and mountaineering; all the rest are merely games.” -- Ernest Hemingway

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 18-Dec-2016, 08:16 AM (594)
Naviator

Garage
When you say "rebuild" how far down did you take the forks? Are you just replacing the forks (stanchions)?
Do you have the correct part # forks (31428566596)?
Sed8r likes this.

Fly Navy
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 18-Dec-2016, 12:57 PM (789) Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetSpeed View Post
When you say "rebuild" how far down did you take the forks? Are you just replacing the forks (stanchions)?
Do you have the correct part # forks (31428566596)?
Hey JetSpeed - I was actually hoping you'd chime in, you seem pretty knowledgeable. Yeah, I ordered them from BMWeStore

Part Status Description Quantity Price
31428566596 Stanchion 2 $438.25

The part #was updated by BMW later this year. I got that from several BMW places I contacted (ASCYCLES.COM, BIKEBANDIT etc) and nobody else had them in stock. The new # is what the dealers can get a hold of, and the only one BMW is manufacturing, supposedly. Still, I can't figure why they don't compress at all...
JetSpeed likes this.

post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 18-Dec-2016, 03:22 PM (890)
Naviator

Garage
Sounds like you have the correct parts, I have a few questions:

What is the reason for replacing the stanchions, I am assuming damaged (bent)?

When you pulled the old stanchions out did they come out with much resistance?

Did you leave the guides and seals, bushings and spacers all in the the slider tubes?

How far in do the stanchions slide before they stop?

My suspicion is that the bushing (guide element) that is located about 3/5's down the slider is causing the hang-up.
Sed8r likes this.

Fly Navy
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 18-Dec-2016, 06:15 PM (010) Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetSpeed View Post
Sounds like you have the correct parts, I have a few questions:

What is the reason for replacing the stanchions, I am assuming damaged (bent)?

When you pulled the old stanchions out did they come out with much resistance?

Did you leave the guides and seals, bushings and spacers all in the the slider tubes?

How far in do the stanchions slide before they stop?

My suspicion is that the bushing (guide element) that is located about 3/5's down the slider is causing the hang-up.
They were bent, yep. Only the upper portion though, and when they were taken off the bike - I removed the nut at the steering mount and had removed the bleed screw - they easily slid down the lower slide tubes (until the bend) and stopped. Many inches lower than the current new straight tubes slide. It's confusing as heck. The old tubes pulled straight out too - no problems - and I checked the bottom of them and the lower slide tubes with my starrett machinist straight edge and they are perfectly straight as far as my eyes and feeler gauges can tell. The new stanchions only go in far enough to mount the lower slide tubes back at the correct level in the lower triple tree (or whatever you call where the telelever thing attaches). Yeah - I wondered about that bushing, and that's about the right distance, the only thing I can't make sense of is why the install instructions don't say anything about taking any of the internal stuff out of the lower slide tube. I'll have to take them off and dump the oil and pull out the stuff and see if it took some damage somehow that's stopping the new tubes, yet let the old tubes compress...

If I can figure it out (or hear back from BMWestore) I'll post up what I find out. Thanks, JetSpeed - I'll give it a look tomorrow!

post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 19-Dec-2016, 07:41 AM (570)
Naviator

Garage
I think that you have the right idea.
If the inside bushing is the issue you may be able to swap it with the upper bushing (same part) but you will need the special tool (Bushing impact sleeve installer) that will run you near $150 for both pieces.
I think that you're going to need to remove all the guts from the forks to get this sorted, something is either damaged or out of position.
Keep us posted.

Fly Navy
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 19-Dec-2016, 11:32 AM (731) Thread Starter

Garage
Seems to hang up at the level of the bushing. I'm just going to re order new internals and replace it all. I'll post up how it goes when they get here and go in.
JetSpeed likes this.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW R1200GS Forum : R1200 GS Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode