20K Service - Dealer or Other Shop? - BMW R1200GS Forum : R1200 GS Forums
 4Likes
  • 2 Post By slowriding
  • 2 Post By Houdini

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 23-Dec-2016, 02:02 AM (334) Thread Starter

20K Service - Dealer or Other Shop?

I have done about 7000km since October and my 1200GS is now approaching its 20K service.

It is a 2012 model - therefore no warranty any more.

What should I do? Take it to the dealer ($$$) or get someone else to service the bike?

There is a bike shop about 20 min from us that I have used for general stuff a couple of times. I like the fact that they dont mind me watching and (sometimes) helping when they work on the bike.

Items on the 20K service list that needs to be done:

- Valve clearances
- Secondary Spark Plug Check
- Engine starting interlock check (whatever the hell this might be.....)
- Throttle valve cables check
- Fault Code Reading
- Charge AGM Battery (????)

I have done the oil / oil filter and air filter. The rest of the general checks is not really a problem.

This brings me to another issue - said bike shop cannot reset the service warning.

I am also thinking of getting one of those GS911 gadgets. Apparently the GS9111 can reset the service warning and give you a whole bunch of other diagnostic info.

Does anyone here have experience with the GS911?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 23-Dec-2016, 04:41 AM (445)
Naviator

Garage
Items needed for the 20,000km (12,000 miles) service are:

Oil change, engine, with filter
Annually or every 10,000 km

Oil change in rear bevel gears
every two years or every 20,000 km

Checking valve clearance (for maintenance)
every 10,000 km

Changing gearbox oil (for maintenance)
initially after one year, then every two years or every 40,000 km

Replace all spark plugs (for maintenance)
every 20,000 km

Replace air filter cartridge (for maintenance)
every 20,000 km

Visual inspection of hydraulic clutch system

Visually inspecting brake pipes, brake hoses and connections

Checking front brake pads and brake discs for wear
Changing brake fluid, front brakes
initially after one year, then every two years

Checking rear brake pads and brake disc for wear

Changing brake fluid, rear brakes
initially after one year, then every two years

Checking freedom of movement of Bowden cables and checking for kinks and chafing

Checking tyre tread depth and tyre pressure

Checking ease of movement of side stand

Checking ease of movement of centre stand

Checking security of threaded fasteners for centre stand

Checking lights and signalling equipment

Function test, engine start suppression

Correcting engine synchronisation (for maintenance)
every 10,000 km

Final inspection and check of roadworthiness

Performing vehicle test with BMW Motorrad diagnostic system

Setting service-due date and service countdown distance

Checking battery charge state

Confirming BMW Service in on-board documentation

Most of these items are just as simple as the description: like charge the battery, 99% of the time you connect the battery charger and it almost immediately indicates a full charge.
Checking the Engine Starting Interlock is as simple as attempting to start the engine in-gear with the clutch out, it should not start.

If you plan on owning the bike I would encourage you to get a GS911 there are many of us with lots of experience using them.

Fly Navy
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 23-Dec-2016, 06:58 AM (540)

I use an independent mechanic because he does better work than the dealer in my area. You could also do much of the work yourself with the help of the CD-ROM or a Haynes Manual. The stuff you don't want to do have your mechanic of choice complete the job.
Kemo Sabe and rsmith like this.

'13 BMW K1600GT
'08 Suzuki DR650

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 23-Dec-2016, 02:29 PM (853)

Location: Livin' in a Poor Man's Shangri, La. aka New Orleans
JetSpeed said:
Quote:
If you plan on owning the bike I would encourage you to get a GS911 there are many of us with lots of experience using them.
agree.

However, there is a caveat to this. It can be difficult to translate the technical language of the fault codes to layman's terms. The GS911 people have a forum where one can ask questions, but rarely does an answer arrive. AFAIK, there is no "list" of fault codes, their meaning or resolution to be found. I would love to be wrong on the above.
When the GS911 gives a fault code, a short description follows, but nothing else.
examples--I got these 3 doing my 18k svc

80401D Tank switch error

This has something to do with the lock on the keyless gas cap
I did find one query about this one with this response from "Wolfgang"

The electronic immobiliser EWS control unit detects a short circuit of the fuel filler cap switch.
The fault is detected if the fuel filler cap switch is continuously operated with the ignition switched off. The control unit input is switched off after 10 minutes

Check wires, wiring harness and plug connectors to the fuel filler cap switch.
Check plug connector wiring harness to the DME.
Check fuel filler cap switch.

Fault effect and breakdown warning The fuel filler cap can no longer be opened.

80402B Preconditions for locking not fulfilled
This has something to do with locking the handlebars, but that's all I can find.

sometimes the description helps
21F761 Oil-level sensor, level too low
Though, does that mean the oil level itself is low or how the sensor reads is too low--I suspect the former since I ran the diagnostics after draining the oil and before refilling. The engine was obviously NOT running.

these appeared during my 18k service check, I reset them, they have not reappeared.

I have not spoken to a dealer about the codes as they have not reappeared, but I don't know if the codes are proprietary to the GS911 or if those are BMW codes. Admittedly I am still a newbie with it, and don't use it very often, have not had the need except for routine service.

I posted my question about the three faults in early November on their forum, complete with the readout from the GS911. Over 110 "views" and no responses. Does no one know or is no one from hexcode monitoring their "support technical" forum?

That said, I recognize its worth. Just being able to reset the service reminder is a huge plus. This is a nice bit of equipment to have if your budget allows, but better documentation and/or a more active user forum would help a lot. Ignorance ain't bliss.

Last edited by Dr. Strangelove; 23-Dec-2016 at 02:34 PM (857).
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 23-Dec-2016, 09:39 PM (152)

Garage
If your bike has no strange issues then servicing the bike yourself is a great option that allows you to spend time with the bike and save money. The GS-911 has more functions than most of us need and it will pay for itself in a few services. A GS-911 and a workshop manual will be your best tools.
If you're not intimately familiar with the service procedures, work with someone else for a few times until you understand the processes.
Dr. Strangelove and =DUKE= like this.

Past: 1955 Norton ES-2, 1972 Norton 750 Commando Long Range Fastback, 1977 Honda 350XLE, 2001 R1150RT (written off), 2005 R1150RT, 2004 R1150GS, 2001 F650GS.
Current: 2013 R1200GS LC
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-Jan-2017, 07:46 AM (574) Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Houdini View Post
If your bike has no strange issues then servicing the bike yourself is a great option that allows you to spend time with the bike and save money. The GS-911 has more functions than most of us need and it will pay for itself in a few services. A GS-911 and a workshop manual will be your best tools.
If you're not intimately familiar with the service procedures, work with someone else for a few times until you understand the processes.
I like this approach.....
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-Jan-2017, 08:34 AM (607)
The ride of Life

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by =DUKE= View Post
I am also thinking of getting one of those GS911 gadgets. Apparently the GS9111 can reset the service warning and give you a whole bunch of other diagnostic info.

Does anyone here have experience with the GS911?
GS-911? Oh, yes - you want one. The GS-911 interfaces with the CAN bus on the motorcycle and communicates with the various controllers on the motorcycle. Resetting the service reminder is just many of the things this can do for you. You can check all of the interlocks (sidestand?) it will do 90% of what the BMW dealers MoDiTech system does. The latest version (required for the LC bikes) has a WiFi radio inside and can communicate with an app in your phone making it truly portable.

It's small and easy to pack, I was able to correct and get a stalled bike running again on the side of the road for a stranded fellow rider.

Two GS-911 kits you can buy, the less expensive one registers VIN numbers, you can have up to ten, after that no more motorcycles can be added without buying more licenses from HexCode (makers of the GS-911). They also make a "professional model" (it's the same thing) that allows unlimited VIN numbers to be added. It's quite a bit more money. They have also added a courtesy mode that allows you to scan and correct a no-strat situation without adding a VIN number. It's functionality is more limited in this mode.

See it here:

The Home of GS-911 ? HEX Code

Anyway, at least one person in your riding posse should have one.

- John
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-Jan-2017, 02:09 PM (839)

Garage
do it yourself, there are also dvd's by Jim Vonbarden im not sure of the spelling that is very detailed and nicely taped.

2016 1200GS ADVENTURE WITH ALL THE GOODIES
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW R1200GS Forum : R1200 GS Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode