For Sale - Page 2 - BMW R1200GS Forum : R1200 GS Forums
 8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 30-Dec-2016, 05:51 PM (994)

Quote:
Originally Posted by marc View Post
Nobody -- or at least very few -- go to a dealer to buy a used bike. Most know they can get a better deal elsewhere. Dealers that take used bikes in on trade often sell them to a wholesaler. The guy trading the bike in wants to get some money, the dealer wants to make some money, the wholesaler wants to make some money, etc. There isn't enough value in a bike with 66K miles for all of those entities to make enough to pay their bills.

And that leads to another place to sell your bike... contact the wholesalers. Google "motorcycle wholesaler". That said, I will pretty much guarantee that you won't like the amount that is offered. They want to make money, have a very good idea of what they can sell the bike for, and have the added expense of having to ship the bike where they think it can be sold.
Can't say I agree with this. We use to sell 100's of used bikes, most of which were trade-ins. Our dealership had BMW, Yamaha, Suzuki and Kawasaki...more money to be made in used and apparently enough people felt what they received for their trade was fair because they traded. We didn't deal with wholesalers, but local Harley dealer did and still does. There's plenty of value (and money to be made) in a 66,000 mile bike as long as it presents well, especially when you have a buyer who enjoys working on his machine.

Last edited by Danno; 30-Dec-2016 at 05:54 PM (996).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 30-Dec-2016, 08:27 PM (102)

No hassel sale

I worked at a dealer for a while and the quotes we gave were always substantially lower the MSRP in Blue Book or NADA. People would trade in because they didn't have to deal with selling the bike themselves or the perceived savings on a new bike.
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 31-Dec-2016, 11:51 AM (744)
GS (and DR)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danno View Post
Can't say I agree with this. We use to sell 100's of used bikes, most of which were trade-ins.
Maybe it's a regional thing. Most of the used bikes I see at local dealers are being sold on consignment. Trade in valuations are very low, probably just high enough that those who don't want to deal with the hassle of selling a bike (as noted by bmwbob51) might take the offer.

post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 31-Dec-2016, 03:39 PM (902)
The ride of Life

Garage
Craig's List has worked for me.

Face it, selling a used motorcycle is a PITA. I have always found through CL one sincere buyer who wants what you have, but with that comes many tire kickers who will offer you but a fraction of your asking price without even coming to look at the bike. I just don't respond to them.

If you go the CL route use the CL blind box system, don't put your email address or phone number there to prevent the 2 AM calls of drunks wanting to come look at your motorcycle RIGHT NOW!

Way back when I was a kid going to college I worked first a multi-line dealer, then an HD dealer. We sold tons of used bikes, Honda, Yamaha and Suzuki, but there were some rules, they couldn't be more than three years old, had less than 5000 miles and be in excellent condition. We had the Kelly blue book and would offer the customer a trade in value 65% of the KBB number. The selling price was the KBB used retail price plus 10%. People would start with a small displacement bike like a 350 or 400, in a year want to trade up, usually over a three year period three times, sometimes more.

With Harley Davidson there were never any trade ins, but desperate customers needing cash now would sell what they had for less than a favorable price to them. We'd resell them for 10% less than a brand new and same model bike! Back then Harley Davidson's just didn't deprecate. Popular models do today however.

I was surprised how often customers would go for this deal. They would get so caught up in "gottohavethis its" just about anything you offered would do. We could sell the trade ins about as fast as we could get them in.

So, yes - you can get more selling the bike yourself, but always price the bike higher than your selling price, because if it has wheels the buyer will try to negotiate the price down. A sincere buyer may try to get you to knock $250 off, the not so sincere ones will offer you half of what you are asking. The way to handle that is to say "Thank you for your offer, but I think I may be able to do better. I have your phone number and if it comes to this I'll give you a ring. Don't.

- John
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 31-Dec-2016, 05:53 PM (995)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bumblebee View Post
Face it, selling a used motorcycle is a PITA. I have always found through CL one sincere buyer who wants what you have, but with that comes many tire kickers who will offer you but a fraction of your asking price without even coming to look at the bike. I just don't respond to them.

If you go the CL route use the CL blind box system, don't put your email address or phone number there to prevent the 2 AM calls of drunks wanting to come look at your motorcycle RIGHT NOW!

Way back when I was a kid going to college I worked first a multi-line dealer, then an HD dealer. We sold tons of used bikes, Honda, Yamaha and Suzuki, but there were some rules, they couldn't be more than three years old, had less than 5000 miles and be in excellent condition. We had the Kelly blue book and would offer the customer a trade in value 65% of the KBB number. The selling price was the KBB used retail price plus 10%. People would start with a small displacement bike like a 350 or 400, in a year want to trade up, usually over a three year period three times, sometimes more.

With Harley Davidson there were never any trade ins, but desperate customers needing cash now would sell what they had for less than a favorable price to them. We'd resell them for 10% less than a brand new and same model bike! Back then Harley Davidson's just didn't deprecate. Popular models do today however.

I was surprised how often customers would go for this deal. They would get so caught up in "gottohavethis its" just about anything you offered would do. We could sell the trade ins about as fast as we could get them in.

So, yes - you can get more selling the bike yourself, but always price the bike higher than your selling price, because if it has wheels the buyer will try to negotiate the price down. A sincere buyer may try to get you to knock $250 off, the not so sincere ones will offer you half of what you are asking. The way to handle that is to say "Thank you for your offer, but I think I may be able to do better. I have your phone number and if it comes to this I'll give you a ring. Don't.

- John
The voice of experience! The other extreme is the "gotta have it" bunch. I sold a guy a bike with bad credit at 28% interest and he didn't even flinch!
mikec and Bumblebee like this.
post #16 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-Jan-2017, 04:53 PM (954)
The ride of Life

Garage
Back in the nasty 70's

28% interest rate was the going rate.

I always found it amazing how little people know about financing. All they want is the "low monthly payments" Sure, I could stretch out the loan to 3 years, (as far as I could stretch it) the monthly payment was less but the total amount they paid at the end was ridiculous. Oh, and the longer the term the higher the interest rate.

Example: Oscar Dimbulb wants to buy a a new CB-750 Honda, thing was just just about 2K out the door. Finance it for one year at 27% (the going rate for unsecured loans at that time), they pay back a touch over $2300, the payment is a touch over $192 monthly. Customer: "Whoa no! That's too much I need the lowest monthly possible!" Okay, hows this - 36 months, a monthly payment of $89.34, (now 34% interest) hows that sound? Customer, "much better. I'll save a lot going this route." My inside voice is saying: What a moron! Don't you know that's going to cost you nearly 1/2 the value of the motorcycle which is going the be worth only 50% of what you are paying today? I didn't utter a bit of that, BTW...

The loan would always get declined in those days for people like this...

If, for some reason the loan was approved and the customer got the bike they would come back in a year with a ridden hard and put away wet motorcycle to trade in and get infuriated when they discovered the loan was worth more than the bike. Sigh. People.

- John.
post #17 of 17 (permalink) Old 25-Jan-2017, 06:49 PM (034)

Two key things that have helped me

I'm not too greedy and there's a large navy base nearby.

Last two bikes I've sold go quickly once I lower the price on craigslist one time. Both sold for asking price when the first guy came to look at them. Both were navy sailors stationed nearby. When you see the market value on craigslist ads, it only takes a couple hundred under that "market line" to get guys calling. Study up on craigslist ads, and find that line and start right under it. It'll sell. Especially if you have hundreds of sailors moving into town each month!

GO NAVY!

Jim
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW R1200GS Forum : R1200 GS Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode