For Sale - BMW R1200GS Forum : R1200 GS Forums
 7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 28-Dec-2016, 12:55 PM (788) Thread Starter

For Sale

I am trying to find the best place to sell my 2012 GSA triple black.
I am in northern California and most dealers will not take it because it has 67,000 miles on it.
It is in excellent condition and never used off road.
I have over $4000 in accessories that no one seems to take into account

Last edited by ahillesq; 28-Dec-2016 at 01:01 PM (793).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 28-Dec-2016, 01:53 PM (828)
GS (and DR)

Accessories are tie breakers. In that I mean when a buyer is looking at several bikes they'll often prefer the bike with more accessories when the purchase prices are more or less equal. Otherwise the lower cost wins. Partly this is due to the buyers desire to configure the bike their way, not your way.

Remove the accessories from the bike and sell them separately. It is more work but you will recoup more of your costs. Sometimes the buyer of the bike will be interested in purchasing a few of the items. Also, a stock bike sells easier that a fully farkled bike. At least that has been my experience.

As to where to sell: Craigslist for local sales. This and other motorcycle forums for non-local sales. Or ebay. I've a few friends who buy/sell bikes on ebay with some regularity.

If the price is on the low side the bike will sell in a reasonable amount of time. If you want top dollar you are going to have to wait until the person who is looking for exactly what you are selling to find your add. That can take many months.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 28-Dec-2016, 02:12 PM (842)
Fisherman on 2 wheels!

Garage
Facebook

There are a couple of places on facebook were you can also post it for free.

One is called https://www.facebook.com/groups/1534956103413315/

The other is the MOA group.

Good luck!

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 28-Dec-2016, 03:31 PM (896)

Location: Livin' in a Poor Man's Shangra, La. aka New Orleans
and, does cycletrader.com accept private ads? That could be a place also. Take good pictures of the bike
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 28-Dec-2016, 05:46 PM (990)

Location: Washington, Idaho, Utah, Maryland, Nevada, Mississippi, Germany, Alaska, Texas, Italy...
Garage
Marc is 100% correct. I had close to $5K in accessories for my last ride (touring Hayabusa) and the guy that bought my bike didn't want any of it - he was going to toss the OEM fairings and get some ugly custom blinged out stuff for it. Broke my heart (my bike was showroom condition when I sold it). Glad I took everything off - it didn't sell when I was asking what I thought it was worth with the Farkles. I've been ebaying/craigslisting the bits and have made more than I would have selling it to some schmuck that was just going to sell them anyway and make the bike how he wanted it.

Good luck with your sale.

"No good work whatever can be perfect, and the demand for perfection is always a sign of the misunderstanding of the ends of art.""No good work whatever can be perfect, and the demand for perfection is always a sign of the misunderstanding of the ends of art."
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 28-Dec-2016, 08:12 PM (092)

Sell extras

I had a Aprilia Futura with a $1000 in extras and tried selling it for $4000 and no luck. Pulled the accessories and sold them for $1000 and the bike for $3000.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 29-Dec-2016, 09:54 PM (163)

+1 on removing parts and selling them. I had luck with advrider.com on some of my old parts/gear.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 30-Dec-2016, 05:51 AM (494)

Garage
Great advice....sell accessories separately......why do dealers in your area refuse to take higher mileage BMW's??..or is it that they will allow a trade but want to steal it....a friend of mine has traded several bikes and always strips them back to stock when he trades in.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 30-Dec-2016, 12:59 PM (791)
GS (and DR)

Nobody -- or at least very few -- go to a dealer to buy a used bike. Most know they can get a better deal elsewhere. Dealers that take used bikes in on trade often sell them to a wholesaler. The guy trading the bike in wants to get some money, the dealer wants to make some money, the wholesaler wants to make some money, etc. There isn't enough value in a bike with 66K miles for all of those entities to make enough to pay their bills.

And that leads to another place to sell your bike... contact the wholesalers. Google "motorcycle wholesaler". That said, I will pretty much guarantee that you won't like the amount that is offered. They want to make money, have a very good idea of what they can sell the bike for, and have the added expense of having to ship the bike where they think it can be sold.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 30-Dec-2016, 03:26 PM (893)

Garage
I always trade my bikes and I have never been badly hurt on the trade in value....its usually okay-not good -not bad -just okay.....most recently(spring 2016) I got within $1000 of what I would have asked for privately as my TOP number ...perhaps even better than that...who knows what kind of "nickle & diming" a prospective private buyer would have put me through...and it is a no fuss no muss down the road deal...its gone and I'm on the new bike....I know , I know $1000 buys a lot of accessories....the horror stories I hear from some of my riding buddies about selling privately...put a dollar figure on on the hassle it is selling privately...$500-$1000 dollars worth of aggravation...I know.I know, there are lots of folks who have done well selling privately...my 2 cents.
WayneW likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW R1200GS Forum : R1200 GS Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode