Getting bike up on centger stand assist - BMW R1200GS Forum : R1200 GS Forums
 4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-Jan-2017, 08:29 AM (603) Thread Starter

Getting bike up on centger stand assist

It ain't easy. Was at Harbor Freight a few days ago and saw one of those pop up rear wheel stands on sale. Problem is that our bikes have hole where chain drive bikes would have axle shafts. Suppose one were to make/fab/buy a "pipe" that would fit through the rear wheel housing for the stand to grip? Any ideas or has anyone tried this out?

'05 1200 GS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-Jan-2017, 12:31 PM (772)

Location: Livin' in a Poor Man's Shangri, La. aka New Orleans
there are some youtube videos that show the process, but you are right: It ain't easy. There is a technique (Lift and pull rearward) to it rather than just muscling, but I have sometimes given up and asked for help.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-Jan-2017, 05:49 AM (492)

put 2 X 4" board perpendicular to back tire approx. 2 feet back from tire.....place 3/4" "ramp" board about 1 1/2 ft long behind rear tire..roll bike onto ramp and when it reaches the top of the ramp/2X4...kick the centerstand down and remove the ramp....because of the height of the 2X4 and the additional 3/4" ramp it works so well you might want to patent it!
Southpaw likes this.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-Jan-2017, 07:06 AM (546)

Quote:
Originally Posted by justwant2ride View Post
put 2 X 4" board perpendicular to back tire approx. 2 feet back from tire.....place 3/4" "ramp" board about 1 1/2 ft long behind rear tire..roll bike onto ramp and when it reaches the top of the ramp/2X4...kick the centerstand down and remove the ramp....because of the height of the 2X4 and the additional 3/4" ramp it works so well you might want to patent it!
Where do you strap this contraption when traveling to next parking (center stand deployment) location, on side of bike or in a back pack?
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-Jan-2017, 10:18 AM (679)
The ride of Life

Garage
It's isn't easy, but it's not impossible.

Things that make it easier...try setting your ESA to 2 people with luggage. That's maximum preload, right? I have discovered this is a help. As others before have stated rolling the back wheel up on "something" is also a great help.

As for putting a pipe through the center of the "axle" so you can use the paddock stand , I wonder if this might damage something in there. Thoughts?

- John
Dr. Strangelove likes this.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-Jan-2017, 08:11 PM (091)
GS (and DR)

I dunno.... unless I'm loaded down with lots of camping gear I don't have any problem with the center stand. That said, I still use the side stand 95% (or more) of the time.

When putting the bike on the center stand I put my right foot on the center stand tang and lower the stand to the floor. After making sure both feet are on the ground I lean in and lift my left foot. That puts all of my weight (less than 190 lbs with gear) directly over the center stand. It doesn't take much more than a slight lift on the passenger handhold with my right hand to get the bike up. My left hand is holding the handlebars.

Fuel filling note: I can put the same amount of gas in the tank when the bike is on the side stand as I can when it is on the center stand.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-Jan-2017, 05:54 AM (496)

Garage
+1 Marc...exactly my method...don't us any back muscles or arm muscles....just use my weight and my right hand and left hand are just guides.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-Jan-2017, 07:12 AM (550) Thread Starter

Going back to my original post. I am able to put the bike up on the center stand. My question was about using the through hub hole and a dowel to use a pop up stand.

'05 1200 GS
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-Jan-2017, 08:07 AM (588)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southpaw View Post
Going back to my original post. I am able to put the bike up on the center stand. My question was about using the through hub hole and a dowel to use a pop up stand.
Point noted. Not an engineer, but does seem there'd be unplanned pressure/stress on upper portion of assembly/bearing/gear. As you noted, typical application to axle ends (on chain driven) has apparently proven itself safe from "unusual" wear.

My thought would be, if you're able to use center stand, as you state, I'd stick with that. However, there are stands, as you wish, made for your bike (see pix). Looking at "BMW Racing" pictures (Google images) only pics/bikes I see with such stands are chain driven.

This is a Pitbull brand stand listed for $240.00 at Pit Bull Wheel Stands for the BMW K1200S/K1200R/06+ K1200GT
Attached Images

Southpaw likes this.

Last edited by Danno; 04-Jan-2017 at 08:14 AM (593).
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-Jan-2017, 01:01 PM (792)

I have a T-Rex stand which is almost identical to the Pitbull stand pictured above. I use it all the time on my R Nine T, since it doesn't have a center stand. I can confirm that it works just as well with my R 1200 GS, though it does seem a little tighter fit through the hole on the GS. They are commonly used as "paddock" stands, and I've never heard of anybody having any troubles stemming from using them.
Southpaw likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW R1200GS Forum : R1200 GS Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode