GS just quit while stoped. any ideas? - BMW R1200GS Forum : R1200 GS Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-Jul-2012, 09:26 AM (601)

Default GS just quit while stoped. any ideas?

hi,
I am a new GS owner. Got my 2012 R1200GS Rally five days ago after thinking about it in the back of my head for a while. So far I love this bike. It is a bit of a change from my Buell to say the least. And much much the improvement. Something happened the other day and I don't know what to think of it.

While riding yesterday after about 36 miles I pulled into a parking space and was maneuvering the bike around to get it where I wanted it. It was in first and I had the clutch held in and then it just stopped. As if I had turned the key back on the ignition but I didn't. I had no load on the engine, the kill switch was still in the run position. The display was down the headlight was off. I moved the key to the off position then back to on and everything came up fine. No warning displays, normal check cycle. The temperature display did not show overheating. It started up fine. It didn't run out of fuel or stall or sputter or anything that made me think of engine issues it makes me think it may be an electrical issue.

To top it off I left there and went about 7 miles to my girlfriends house and again I was maneuvering it around to get it under the shade of the roof at the front of the garage, it has been hot here lately, over 100F. I had it in first, clutch leaver held in at the time it quit.

has anyone ever experienced this kind of behavior? I hope it doesn't happen at speed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-Jul-2012, 03:58 PM (873)
HairyDad/6 kids

Is your bike a brand new GS. If so then right back to the shop I would go.. I would consider a ground or short issue when ever you are moving your bars back and forth. Once you straighten your bars and reset the key you are good to go,is that right.
Old 02-Jul-2012, 04:28 PM (894)

It is a brand new bike. I'll call the shop first thing tomorrow. Unfortunately they are four and a half hours away from me. But they seem to be a good bunch of guys and have treated me well so far. I just hope I can get it to recreate. It didn't happen today. and I was kinda trying to get it to. If there is a resolution I will be sure to post it.
Old 03-Jul-2012, 04:43 AM (405)

As papa says it sounds like it could be a short as you are twisting the handlebars to park. Straight back to the dealer, will they come out to you?

N
Old 03-Jul-2012, 05:46 AM (448)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comerdude View Post
will they come out to you?
I don't know. but I agree with both of you Im not going to mess with it the dealer will. I mean it is only seven days old.
Old 27-Jul-2012, 11:15 AM (677)

Have you, while getting the bike into position to park, put down the side stand? Doing so will kill the engine...........try it.
Old 27-Jul-2012, 12:46 PM (740)

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntly2 View Post
Have you, while getting the bike into position to park, put down the side stand? Doing so will kill the engine...........try it.
AAAARRRRRRRGGGGGHHHH!!!!!!!!

Ill check... :-( what an idiot.
Old 31-Jul-2012, 03:30 PM (854)

ok, it seams that i am likely an idiot. The only thing that makes me think differently is that I could swear that the display wen't dark when this happened but I suppose I could be remembering that wrong.

I have been all over this thing as have others. tried to recreate the issue many times and checked connections wires etc.. it hasn't happened again so I guess that this is a likely answer.

I don't particularly like this answer mainly because it points out I am an idiot but let's face it, i've been there before.
Old 31-Jul-2012, 03:59 PM (874)

You're being waaayyy too tough on yourself. We've all been there with one thing or another. Take a long ride and enjoy the bike, the scenery, and the smells!

Bill Edwards
Boerne, TX
Old 14-Jan-2013, 12:14 AM (260)
Middle Aged

Send a message via Skype™ to Ken
Smile Bike Stopped While Parking

The same thing happenned to me. I own a 2009 model. 6 weeks old and I'm parking it and it stopped. Twice. My bike wouldn't start. Your bike apparently did re-start. The fault turned out to be a simple cable tie on the wirring loom done up too tight in the factory. My dealer ordered a whole new loom for the whole bike and fitted it. Solved the issue. So maybe because your bike is new, same issue, a tight cable tie. If your dealer doesn't come to the party, pull the tank off and check all the cable ties from the computer all the way throught the bike, especially all the wires that lead to the hadle bar switches. I assume by now, 7 months later that the issue was solved. Enjoy your bike.

Ken

Quote:
Originally Posted by wb5plj View Post
hi,
I am a new GS owner. Got my 2012 R1200GS Rally five days ago after thinking about it in the back of my head for a while. So far I love this bike. It is a bit of a change from my Buell to say the least. And much much the improvement. Something happened the other day and I don't know what to think of it.

While riding yesterday after about 36 miles I pulled into a parking space and was maneuvering the bike around to get it where I wanted it. It was in first and I had the clutch held in and then it just stopped. As if I had turned the key back on the ignition but I didn't. I had no load on the engine, the kill switch was still in the run position. The display was down the headlight was off. I moved the key to the off position then back to on and everything came up fine. No warning displays, normal check cycle. The temperature display did not show overheating. It started up fine. It didn't run out of fuel or stall or sputter or anything that made me think of engine issues it makes me think it may be an electrical issue.

To top it off I left there and went about 7 miles to my girlfriends house and again I was maneuvering it around to get it under the shade of the roof at the front of the garage, it has been hot here lately, over 100F. I had it in first, clutch leaver held in at the time it quit.

has anyone ever experienced this kind of behavior? I hope it doesn't happen at speed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement