R1200GS-W Fuel Filler Mods - BMW R1200GS Forum : R1200 GS Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 21-Aug-2013, 06:11 PM (966)
I don't want a pickle...

Default R1200GS-W Fuel Filler Mods

Similar to the earlier generation R1200GS, the 2013 GS-W has a long filler neck that reaches several inches down into the tank. This long filler neck impedes the rider's ability to quickly fill the tank all the way to the top. Unlike in the earlier generation, the new one is not a soft rubber piece that can be removed with needlenose pliers. I am sure that this long filler neck serves some valid purpose, perhaps even safety-related. For that reason, I do not advocate these modifications and present them for entertainment only. If you do these mods, I accept no responsibility for the consequences. :brow

The upside of making these mods are that it is easier to fill the gas tank all the way up, which may extend your range somewhat.

So...

Remove the 6 bolts from around the fuel filler. I also found it easiest to remove the tank center panel. You can't see them in this picture, but there are a couple of hoses attached under the filler assembly. When you pull up on the filler assembly, those hoses need to move, and I think the tank panel blocks them a little, making it more difficult with the center panel in place.

It will take a little careful wiggling, but eventually the assembly will pull out. It will not require a lot of force, so exercise caution.

Grasp the lower filler neck, twist a bit and pull down to separate.

Note that when you reassemble, the rubber gasket must be positioned so that a hole in the tab on the gasket fits over a red protrusion, and also that the gasket has a tab that fits into a slot on the filler surround. I believe that the hole in the red protrusion is to allow fuel vapor to travel to the canister, but have not verified. My thanks to TBob for pointing out the error in my original post!

If you want to make the second mod and drill an air relief hole in the part of the filler neck that is not removed, do it before reassembling.

I recommend using something like a spring-loaded center punch to dimple the plastic in order to provide your drill bit a good start without skating all over when you apply force. About a half inch down, or roughly the same height as the notch tab has been suggested.

Easy enough to drill a small hole after dimpling. I used a 3/16" bit. Having a shop towel spread out over the tank helps to prevent any debris from falling into the tank. Be sure to clear out the inside of the neck of any lingering drilling debris.

Then, just bolt it all back to the tank and re-affix the center panel. Remember, those bolts that hold the gas cap and filler neck assembly do not need a lot of torque; be gentle with them.

Last edited by Emoto; 01-Sep-2013 at 02:07 PM (796).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 21-Aug-2013, 07:23 PM (016)

Good picks, and step by step instructions. Very "entertaining". Thanks.
Old 01-Sep-2013, 02:06 PM (796)
I don't want a pickle...

Please note that I have updated the original post to reflect a correction in how to align the gasket.
Old 01-Sep-2013, 04:34 PM (898)

I'm not sure it will fit the new GSW, but SSL(Sling Shot Racing) makes a replacement gas cap that unscrews for $50. I installed one my 2011 because I found it difficult to top off the tank. Easy to install and works well. Comes in silver or black.
Old 07-Sep-2013, 10:14 PM (135)

Thanks for the tip. I just got my 13 GS-W today and am still on the dealership fillup. I'm not looking forward to the difficulty in filling the thing up. What must they have been thinking? Frankly, I don't see why the neck isn't simply shortened so the filler gurgles closer to the top. Who knows... Maybe there is a BMW engineer type who could give us some history. It was probably an idea though up by lawyers because somebody blew themselves up because he was smoking while filling thier tank and the vapors were too close to the top and BOOM.

Heck, everybody knows you can put a cigarette out in gasoline.
Old 08-Sep-2013, 11:29 AM (687)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mustang guy View Post
Maybe there is a BMW engineer type who could give us some history.
Don't need a BMW engineer for that. Gasoline expands when it heats up. You pump cold gasoline from an underground tank into your gas tank. Let it sit in the sun, the gasoline expands. If there isn't enough air in the tank it will vent the overflow into the charcoal canister. Now, that thing is only really designed to take gasoline vapor, not liquid gasoline. And over time it will damage the contents there and dispose them into the fuel supply (where captured vapors are supposed to be vented to).

So, if you shorten the filler neck, there are two things you can/should do, also:

1) Remove the charcoal canister and let the overflow simply drain to the ground - that's what bikes without the canister do. The canister is only required in California as far as I know, but for sake of simplicity, BMW builds a "50 state model", therefore all US bikes (and nowhere else in the world) have the canister.

2) Only ever top up and go riding. Never let it sit in the sun after a fill up.

I guess, I will remove the canister at some point in time as the space can normally be used for my useful things ...
Old 09-Sep-2013, 05:05 AM (420)
I don't want a pickle...

Quote:
Originally Posted by cug View Post
Don't need a BMW engineer for that. Gasoline expands when it heats up. You pump cold gasoline from an underground tank into your gas tank. Let it sit in the sun, the gasoline expands. If there isn't enough air in the tank it will vent the overflow into the charcoal canister. Now, that thing is only really designed to take gasoline vapor, not liquid gasoline. And over time it will damage the contents there and dispose them into the fuel supply (where captured vapors are supposed to be vented to).

So, if you shorten the filler neck, there are two things you can/should do, also:

1) Remove the charcoal canister and let the overflow simply drain to the ground - that's what bikes without the canister do. The canister is only required in California as far as I know, but for sake of simplicity, BMW builds a "50 state model", therefore all US bikes (and nowhere else in the world) have the canister.

2) Only ever top up and go riding. Never let it sit in the sun after a fill up.

I guess, I will remove the canister at some point in time as the space can normally be used for my useful things ...
I need to find the canister on mine. Have you spotted it yet?
Old 09-Sep-2013, 08:30 AM (562)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emoto View Post
I need to find the canister on mine. Have you spotted it yet?
As soon as I have my bike, I'll start looking.

I'd check in the area around the front fork legs. The 2010 had it hidden inside the tank fairing in the front. You could take it out and Wunderlich (?) had a little bottle for spare oil for that place.
Old 11-Sep-2013, 11:43 AM (696)

Do you have a link to the bottle you mentioned that fits where the canister was?
Old 11-Sep-2013, 12:00 PM (708)

You can start here, not sure whether the product is still around.

The ultimate backup oil bottle – 1200GS Adventure | Ride Around
Sponsored Links
Advertisement