Keyless Ignition Failure! - BMW R1200GS Forum : R1200 GS Forums
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-Sep-2015, 06:35 PM (983) Thread Starter

Keyless Ignition Failure!

My keyfob quit working, thought it was the battery in the fob, changed it....nothing. I get the red light in the upper right corner of the display symbolizing that it is searching for the fob. Even my plastic emergency key does not work! I spent 6 hours trying to figure out what was wrong, from checking wiring, fuses, etc to no avail. Actually had to call roadside, they pick it up tomorrow. '15 1200GS with less than 300 miles on it!!! Frustrating!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-Sep-2015, 01:06 PM (754)

Garage
Ouch! Keep us updated on what the problem was/is.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-Sep-2015, 04:48 PM (908)

i had problems with my new 2015 they had to change out the computer in the bike..took almost three weeks..wonder if there is problems with the 2015's?

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-Sep-2015, 03:58 AM (373)

Fob

A friend had identical problem with a rented Multistrada. We had been told that wifi and power lines could interfere. After 30 minutes trying to fix at a gas station we wheeled it down the road a bit where it started. Pretty silly system if that is the fix. When did we get so lazy that we couldn't use a key?!
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 13-Sep-2015, 03:51 PM (868)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladyknieval View Post
My keyfob quit working, thought it was the battery in the fob, changed it....nothing. I get the red light in the upper right corner of the display symbolizing that it is searching for the fob. Even my plastic emergency key does not work! I spent 6 hours trying to figure out what was wrong, from checking wiring, fuses, etc to no avail. Actually had to call roadside, they pick it up tomorrow. '15 1200GS with less than 300 miles on it!!! Frustrating!!!
I had a keyless failure at about 1000 miles when the handlebar locking mechanism failed. Basically, the computer "thought" the bars were still locked and would not initiate a system check to allow start. You could hear the handlebar locking mechanism grinding when I'd press the ignition button.

Also took about 3 weeks to fix (awaiting part).

Please keep up posted.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 27-Sep-2015, 04:02 PM (876)

gas cap fail

rode 325 mi on friday filled tank once and on second fill-up gas cap would not close. Was 6 mi from dealer so stopped by. the locking latch arm did not extend. Tech pulled it out with his finger. and then it closed. Could not make it fail but it seemed to close harder then usual so when I got home I put dielectric grease on the moving part. It seemed to close smoothly. This is a R1200GS 2015 7,000mi.
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 22-Oct-2015, 05:11 PM (924)

key failure 2015

I have also had intermittent failures with my contactless key. This week while riding the warning light came on that the key could not be found. Does not appear to be a battery issue. The temporary solution is to hold the key fob under the rear fender on the small round bump.
My dealer has apparently had other issues like this and doesn't have the answer
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 23-Oct-2015, 08:42 AM (571)
tor

7K on my 2015 GSA, and no problems yet. It squirts coolant every now and then though. I'll keep an eye on it.

2015 Gelände-Straße Abenteuer Wassergekühlt Urban Angriffsfahrzeug
"Adventure Is Just Bad Planning" - Roald Amundsen
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 29-Aug-2016, 10:35 PM (149)

I've recently experienced almost identical issue. Bike won't start, won't recognize the key/fob, thinks it's handlebar lock is still engaged, and just sits there making a grinding whirring sound if I push the start button.
Bike simply won't run and the diagnosis was that the complete ignition head assembly needs to be replaced. This is a part keyed to the bike's unique ID and as such the part must come from Germany. The bike has been waiting 3 weeks already for the part and may still be another week or so before the part arrives.

As if that wasn't bad enough - this all happened 2 weeks into a 5 week riding holiday in the US where we had shipped our bikes to from Australia. Early exit and lots of rude words said at the time. Bike is back in Oz now just sitting waiting, waiting, waiting ........
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 29-Aug-2016, 11:30 PM (188)
Not that senior.

Send a message via MSN to gdayjr Send a message via Yahoo to gdayjr Send a message via Skype™ to gdayjr
where does it end?

I have been patiently waiting for all the minor niggles to be ironed out on these bikes, but there seems to be no end to them.

I am due to buy a 2016 registered bike this Saturday, but i am seriously thinking of cancelling the whole thing, before i lay out any money on the deal.
Dealer won't be happy , but hey, that's his problem, it was a demo model anyway, registered 14/1/16, so i think it is a 2015 build.

Where will it all end?

Graham Day. Sydney Australia
2005 R1200GS 93,000km (Stolen)
2004 R1200GS. 88, 000 km
2007 R1200GS. 34000 km.
current bike. 2010 R1200GS. 62000 km

Last edited by gdayjr; 30-Aug-2016 at 12:26 PM (726).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW R1200GS Forum : R1200 GS Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode