Headlight Shield Law?? - BMW R1200GS Forum : R1200 GS Forums
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 29-Oct-2016, 09:39 AM (611) Thread Starter

Garage
Headlight Shield Law??

I bought and installed a BMW headlight shield for the bike, one of those polycarbonate protectors; I downloaded the instructions (did not come with them as I was told it was meant to be installed in the shop, whatever....) and the instructions said the protector was not be used on the road, only off road it was illegal it use it for road use? Is this true in Canada or the USA? I read somewhere it was not allowed in Europe but what about here? I was surprised that the replacement cost for the LED bulbs assembly is about $2400 Cdn , this is why I bought the protector. Regardless riding around it is quite easy for another vehicle to toss a stone by accident, I had planned to keep it on the bike.

Any insight on this "law" would be great.

Thanks.

Bob
Victoria, BC
Canada

2016 R1200 GS Adventure
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 30-Oct-2016, 07:18 AM (512)
Naviator

Garage
I can speak in regards to the U.S laws and that (technically) anything that is placed over a headlight must be DOT approved, an item like the BMW headlight cover not only alters but also reduces the amount of light passed through and it and would not be able to to get a DOT certificate therefor would be illegal, with that out of the way it is highly doubtful that a law enforcement officer would give two hoots about it unless just being chicken-shit, now I'm sure that there will be people that have been cited for their headlamp protectors that we will hear from.

Fly Navy
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 30-Oct-2016, 01:09 PM (756)
The ride of Life

Garage
With an $1800 headlight...

I have a headlight protector on my GS. That LED headlight is only sold as a unit, and at $1800 I'm going to protect it.

Technically I don't think it's legal in the USA, but I think it would be highly unlikely you would get cited for it here in California, unless there was something really wrong with it, like blocking all the light after dark or something like that?

We don't even have vehicle inspections in this state. Pretty much anything goes.

- John
Southpaw likes this.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 30-Oct-2016, 04:27 PM (894)
Fisherman on 2 wheels!

Garage
Agreed

Bob,

I have the same OEM protector installed and agree with the two previous comments. Not likely to draw attention and a necessity when you consider how much it is to replace that damn head light.
Outbacker likes this.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 30-Oct-2016, 04:45 PM (906) Thread Starter

Garage
I agree with you all, if I do get questioned then ok, I will pay a fine or whatever and carry on. Next day it goes back on, still cheaper then a replacement bulb assy.

Thanks.

Bob
Victoria, BC
Canada

2016 R1200 GS Adventure
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 30-Oct-2016, 10:38 PM (151)

This is the same in Australia, but we also have a law that makes the Pin Lock Anti-fog Visor device "illegal" for night use.
As has been mentioned here, the chances that any police officer would pick you up on it is so low unless they got you for something else and just wanted to add offenses because they didn't like the look of you or you were to smart mouth them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outbacker View Post
I agree with you all, if I do get questioned then ok, I will pay a fine or whatever and carry on. Next day it goes back on, still cheaper then a replacement bulb assy.

Thanks.
PoppyGreg likes this.

Mark H
Sydney, Australia
2015 R1200GS Black Storm
2012 R1200R White
2010 R1200R Black
2007 F800ST
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 15-Jan-2017, 01:43 PM (821)
Riding a R1200gs

Garage
Illegal here in Quebec (probably also for the rest of the Canada) but I never heard of someone fined for that reason.

I will just change my headlight protector as soon it becomes yellow or too scratched, mostly to get as much light as possible from my headlight and to keep the law enforcement away.

We where stopped once (after a really dirty ride) and requested to clean our headlight, flashers and license plate, no fine, just a request. Not a word was said about the headlight protectors (of course... we did not ask either...).

Proud owner of a 2009 R1200GS....

Last edited by 20-100; 15-Jan-2017 at 01:46 PM (824).
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 16-Jan-2017, 04:49 PM (951)
The ride of Life

Garage
I also installed a headlight protector. Yes, it's $1800 clams and I am going to protect it. Mine doesn't seem to reduce the light output any noticeable amount. I can't see how it would be an issue. What we do have here is older chitzy-ditzy cars with frosted up headlight lenses from UV exposure. I know in the UK a car with frosted up lenses won't pass an MOT, but here in California and most other states don't have any form of mechanical inspection, except for emissions, and that's only in certain areas.

Here it's pretty much anything goes. Bad breaks? Bald tires? Burned out lights? Broken windshield? Almost nothing is enforced.

- John

The Ride of Life.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 19-Jan-2017, 10:39 PM (193)

Garage
One would hope that legal considerations by police etc would be a with a commonsense approach.

Past: 1955 Norton ES-2, 1972 Norton 750 Commando Long Range Fastback, 1977 Honda 350XLE, 2001 R1150RT (written off), 2005 R1150RT, 2004 R1150GS, 2001 F650GS.
Current: 2013 R1200GS LC
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 15-Feb-2017, 05:03 AM (460)

XPEL Headlight Protection Kit

Try one of these protection kits - unbelievably low price $.49 - been using them on my bikes for past 10 years

Newer R1200GS specific . . . does not alter light - I believe legal - and yes will not stop extremely large rocks - somewhat limited protection!!

Headlight Protection Kits - XPEL
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW R1200GS Forum : R1200 GS Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode