Pairing Cardo PackTalk or SmartPack to BMW Factory Bluetooth Audio Equipment - BMW R1200GS Forum : R1200 GS Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-Jan-2017, 07:21 PM (056) Thread Starter

Pairing Cardo PackTalk or SmartPack to BMW Factory Bluetooth Audio Equipment

Hello, everyone! I wanted to share some helpful information concerning linking a Cardo scala rider PackTalk or SmartPack up to the BMW factory audio package. As most of you may know, BMW has configured their audio software to only work properly with BMW audio equipment. This method has proven to be a useful workaround for BMW riders who do not want to use only BMW intercom products.

Enjoy!

Pairing Cardo scala rider PackTalk or SmartPack to BMW BT Audio Systems:

· Leave bike ignition in OFF position (no power to bike system)

· Pair any desired Bluetooth device (Phone/GPS/Etc.) to Bluetooth Channel 1 (In Standby, press and hold “Mobile” button on headset until red/blue flashing, then scan for headset on the desired device)

· Once Bluetooth Channel 1 successfully pairs to device, power up the BMW system by turning the ignition key

· Put the headset in pairing mode for Bluetooth Channel 2 (In Standby, press and hold “Audio” button until red/blue flashing). This is the small triangle button on the face of the headset.

· Within the Bluetooth Menu on the BMW, select “Helmet 1”, and have it search for a headset.

· PACKTALK/SMARTPACK will show up on the bike’s menu shortly, select it.

· The bike will pair with the headset and automatically begin streaming music shortly thereafter (sometimes instantly, sometimes after a short wait).

Headset is now successfully paired.

Startup sequence (everything off):

· Turn on PACKALK/SMARTPACK headset first, then power up the bike.

· Bike will search for and find headset after a period of time, at which point the music will automatically begin streaming to headset.

Note: If connection is not made and/or music does not automatically start after a period of 30 seconds, toggle the bike’s audio system to play through the bike’s speakers, then back to the headset- this will initiate playback in headset.

Note: Only “Helmet 1” will pair to a non-BMW headset, “Helmet 2” will not.

Note: The headset must be close to the bike when pairing, testing playback. The Bluetooth signal coming from the bike is VERY short range and will break up if the headset get further than where the rider’s head would be.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-Jan-2017, 07:34 PM (065)

Are you aware of an issue with the BMW Navigator V where you will be in the middle of telephone call and both parties start to hear an echo of their own voice only? It's done this for me with the Q1, G9x, and Smartpack.

I also tried several other phones and the same issue. It's paired exactly how BMW (Garmin) say to pair it.

I believe the issue is 100% on the BMW (Garmin) side but they have been absolutely useless and I have been sending them the bluetooth debug logs from the Navigator V for months.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-Jan-2017, 10:32 AM (689)
Naviator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by fredaroony View Post
Are you aware of an issue with the BMW Navigator V where you will be in the middle of telephone call and both parties start to hear an echo of their own voice only? It's done this for me with the Q1, G9x, and Smartpack.

I also tried several other phones and the same issue. It's paired exactly how BMW (Garmin) say to pair it.

I believe the issue is 100% on the BMW (Garmin) side but they have been absolutely useless and I have been sending them the bluetooth debug logs from the Navigator V for months.
I also have that problem and have an Interphone F5XT and F5MC, Samsung Galaxy S5 and S7 phone when paired to the BMW Nav-V so I do agree that the problem lies in the Nav-V device, most likely could be addressed with better written firmware on Garmin's part.

I support Chelsea Clinton as U.S ambassador to Benghazi.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-Jan-2017, 05:33 PM (981) Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredaroony View Post

I'm not aware of that particular issue, but I'm sure it's come up at some point. There are a lot of things we're limited in doing when proprietary software gets in the way. I'll check into it, though.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 13-Jan-2017, 11:14 PM (218)

Quote:
Originally Posted by scala rider View Post
I'm not aware of that particular issue, but I'm sure it's come up at some point. There are a lot of things we're limited in doing when proprietary software gets in the way. I'll check into it, though.
Thanks and much appreciated.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 16-Jan-2017, 01:43 AM (321)

Quote:
Originally Posted by scala rider View Post
Hello, everyone! I wanted to share some helpful information concerning linking a Cardo scala rider PackTalk or SmartPack up to the BMW factory audio package. As most of you may know, BMW has configured their audio software to only work properly with BMW audio equipment. This method has proven to be a useful workaround for BMW riders who do not want to use only BMW intercom products.

Enjoy!

Pairing Cardo scala rider PackTalk or SmartPack to BMW BT Audio Systems:

· Leave bike ignition in OFF position (no power to bike system)

· Pair any desired Bluetooth device (Phone/GPS/Etc.) to Bluetooth Channel 1 (In Standby, press and hold “Mobile” button on headset until red/blue flashing, then scan for headset on the desired device)

· Once Bluetooth Channel 1 successfully pairs to device, power up the BMW system by turning the ignition key

· Put the headset in pairing mode for Bluetooth Channel 2 (In Standby, press and hold “Audio” button until red/blue flashing). This is the small triangle button on the face of the headset.

· Within the Bluetooth Menu on the BMW, select “Helmet 1”, and have it search for a headset.

· PACKTALK/SMARTPACK will show up on the bike’s menu shortly, select it.

· The bike will pair with the headset and automatically begin streaming music shortly thereafter (sometimes instantly, sometimes after a short wait).

Headset is now successfully paired.

Startup sequence (everything off):

· Turn on PACKALK/SMARTPACK headset first, then power up the bike.

· Bike will search for and find headset after a period of time, at which point the music will automatically begin streaming to headset.

Note: If connection is not made and/or music does not automatically start after a period of 30 seconds, toggle the bike’s audio system to play through the bike’s speakers, then back to the headset- this will initiate playback in headset.

Note: Only “Helmet 1” will pair to a non-BMW headset, “Helmet 2” will not.

Note: The headset must be close to the bike when pairing, testing playback. The Bluetooth signal coming from the bike is VERY short range and will break up if the headset get further than where the rider’s head would be.
Are you able to use the wonderwheel, or other BMW controls? Also how's the pairing with the IPhone?
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-Feb-2017, 07:17 PM (053) Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamB View Post
Are you able to use the wonderwheel, or other BMW controls? Also how's the pairing with the IPhone?
Yes, some of the controls on the bike will still work. Otherwise, the modules have full voice command capability. iPhones pair very well and the modules will remember the BT connection. Thanks for the inquiry!

-scala rider
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW R1200GS Forum : R1200 GS Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode