Michelin Anakee Wild ticks all the boxes - BMW R1200GS Forum : R1200 GS Forums
 18Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 26-Feb-2016, 12:39 PM (777) Thread Starter

Michelin Anakee Wild ticks all the boxes

All the reviews I have read would indicate that this is THE adventure tyre to have! Hands down the best.
Anyone got a set on? Are they available in Aus yet?
Gufferreira likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 26-Feb-2016, 01:17 PM (803)
Fisherman on 2 wheels!

Garage
The few reviews I've read (as I mentioned on a different post) seem very scripted.

I would love to read opinions of forum members specially as to how they compare against the K60 Scout's.

Pricing is very similar here in the US. For example the K60 is $194 and the Wild is $195 (Rear-150/70 B17)
Wheeling and x7289155 like this.
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 27-Feb-2016, 11:24 AM (725)

TKC80. Everything else is subpar.
Pch123 and GSpilot like this.

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 27-Feb-2016, 02:16 PM (845)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rotarywing View Post
TKC80. Everything else is subpar.
I'm new to this whole tubeless knobby on a fat bike thing. My friends that use the TKC80 tell me it's a fine off-road tire but wears very quickly. An acquaintance put a set on his Hyperstrada and didn't get 3500 miles out of them. That's about what I got out of a D606 on my KLR. If this new Michelin is as good off-road and wears better, we might have a winner.

I'm looking forward to some real world feedback on the Wilds. Especially how noisy they are and if they're living up to the hype on grip on and off road.
yetagain and HighSierras like this.

Current scooters:
'14 NE KLR 650
'16 R1200GS Triple Black
'16 KTM Super Duke 1290R
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 28-Feb-2016, 07:32 AM (564)

Garage
Check out Chads video on the Wild at advdesigns.com. He's put some serious miles on them and loves them. They'll go on my GSA when I get out west this summer.
yetagain likes this.
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 28-Feb-2016, 08:27 AM (602)

Yes they wear fast but they are the best off road tire.

I wore out a set last week in just a few days in Portugal. Minimum Tarmac ridding but lots of rocks and hills. Actually I went through two sets of rears and one front.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrayBeard View Post
I'm new to this whole tubeless knobby on a fat bike thing. My friends that use the TKC80 tell me it's a fine off-road tire but wears very quickly. An acquaintance put a set on his Hyperstrada and didn't get 3500 miles out of them. That's about what I got out of a D606 on my KLR. If this new Michelin is as good off-road and wears better, we might have a winner.

I'm looking forward to some real world feedback on the Wilds. Especially how noisy they are and if they're living up to the hype on grip on and off road.
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 29-Feb-2016, 12:30 PM (771) Thread Starter

From Michelin

Here is a bit more of the company speel.

Product Description

Michelin Anakee 3 Wild Dual Sport Adventure Tire

To date, bar none, the most aggressive and longest lasting tire we have mounted to our R1200GS Liquid Cooled Adventure Bike. We have hand several customers on R1200GS LC and LC Adventure bikes put over 6k miles on these tires. Having ridden these tires in two of the Trophy Challenges and the 2015 LA Barstow to Vegas run, we can confidently say that these tires are 1. Aggressive and 2. they last much longer than any knobbie tire we have ever mounted.

The Michelin Anakee Wild Tires offer a more aggressive 50/50 design to get you over the river and through the woods. Updated compounds, combined with an innovative tread pattern inspired by Michelin's Dakar winning Desert Race tire, offer extraordinary longevity for extended adventures. Offset blocks and curved tread grooves provide true off-road performance, especially in soft and challenging conditions and, in addition to proven off-road performance, the front/rear casing design ensures impeccable on-road stability. With sizes specifically made for larger ADV bikes, the Anakee 3 Wild Tires will help you put that extra HP to the ground in a meaningful way.

Features:
- An off-road version of the popular Anakee III
- Ideal for riders who like to take their bikes on the trails
- Designed for 50% on and 50% off-road use
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 18-Mar-2016, 02:07 AM (296)

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by yetagain View Post
All the reviews I have read would indicate that this is THE adventure tyre to have! Hands down the best.
Anyone got a set on? Are they available in Aus yet?
First 300 km makes one fell in a slipery road. After 500 km is perfect!

Tyres are noisy. Mine has a humming all the time after 60 km/h on good asphalt. It is a ROAD tyre. Be prepared to hit the ground if you go off road.

Cheers!
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 28-Mar-2016, 07:42 AM (529)

Hi All,

Just mounted a set Michelin Anakee Wild on my 2014 1200GSA LC and first impression is so-so (35 miles highway/5 dirt). Paid $35-40 more per tire. Noise a bit less than the TKC80's with 4200 miles removed and so expect these to make less noise than TKCs - NOT, is a little less or same! Vibration was noticeably less on these when shod new so should arrive at same or little less noisy than TKCs once tires wear in. Wild don't seem to hold a line on highway quite as good, and turn in more abrupt and not as smooth of transition as on TKC; Wild also tend to follow grooves in road more. Grip on road is comparable but off-road is definitely less, my seat of pants estimate is 20-30% less than TKCs - lugs are closer together and it translates to less soft ground traction for the Wild. Overall, not sure 2000 more miles with Wild is worth the compromise to off-road, same noise and only a little less vibration. Will give an update when I have had more time on these Wild tires - but not feeling the wild part, TKC80's will be a tough tire to beat.

M
kramdunc and GSpilot like this.
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-Apr-2016, 01:47 PM (783)

I heard a lot of high mileage claims like 6-10k miles early on but these were from folks either in the media or got free tires to test.

Yesterday a guy on the BMW R1200 GS Adventure page on FB said "1,000 miles and they're half gone."

Last week on ADVrider a guy reports "1150 miles and about half done; 5.5 mm of 10 mm."

So I'm a bit skeptical of these higher mileage claims. Michelin says they were independently tested by a lab and say the longevity is 50% longer than a TKC-80 and since my '11 GSA would get 3200 miles on a TKC-80 in a best case scenario, I'd say 4800 miles is the max I'd ever get from these Anakee Wilds. That's really good but not 6k-10k.

Another odd thing is that even though they call it a 50/50 tire, it neither looks (or sounds) like other 50/50 tires such as the K60 or the new Tractionator GPS from Motoz. A buddy testing the tire last year told me they said it's a 70/30 tire. He said "great tire but didn't last as long as I'd hoped." My guess is some marketer decided calling it a 70/30 tire would scare the average rider and since most buy 50/50 tires they better stick with that classification.

I don't know, this tire looks as aggressive or even moreso than the TKC-80 which is a 60/40 tire. (off road/on).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW R1200GS Forum : R1200 GS Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode