Anakee III Tire Life and Wear Patterns - BMW R1200GS Forum : R1200 GS Forums
 4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 29 (permalink) Old 11-Oct-2016, 05:46 AM (449) Thread Starter

Garage
Anakee III Tire Life and Wear Patterns

Had a 2011GS which came with Anakee's and I replaced them with Anakee II's and one Anakee III. The Anakee pushed 8000 miles before I replaced it. It was an OEM that came with the bike. Anakee II's went down to about 7K. Don't know how the Anakee III did because I sold the bike. Got a 2016GS LC that came with Anakee III's. I'm at 4.4K and will be changing to PR4's because I'm strictly a road rider.

Now for my question. Don't care about whatever research Michelin put into these tires, the tread pattern is kinda sorta unusual. What kind of mileage do you get with the III? I am particular interested in street riders. How do you know when these tires are giving up the ghost? Right now I can barely see a couple wear bars near the bottom of the grooves. On the front I'm having a hard time finding any wear bars. Normally my fronts go before the rear and wear at the 2 and 10 o'clock positions. Rear goes in the center first.

Thanks for any insight you can provide.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 (permalink) Old 11-Oct-2016, 07:17 AM (512)
The ride of Life

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldButNotDead View Post
Had a 2011GS which came with Anakee's and I replaced them with Anakee II's and one Anakee III. The Anakee pushed 8000 miles before I replaced it. It was an OEM that came with the bike. Anakee II's went down to about 7K. Don't know how the Anakee III did because I sold the bike. Got a 2016GS LC that came with Anakee III's. I'm at 4.4K and will be changing to PR4's because I'm strictly a road rider.

Now for my question. Don't care about whatever research Michelin put into these tires, the tread pattern is kinda sorta unusual. What kind of mileage do you get with the III? I am particular interested in street riders. How do you know when these tires are giving up the ghost? Right now I can barely see a couple wear bars near the bottom of the grooves. On the front I'm having a hard time finding any wear bars. Normally my fronts go before the rear and wear at the 2 and 10 o'clock positions. Rear goes in the center first.

Thanks for any insight you can provide.
My experience with the Anakee is that it's a long lasting tire, seems to me more at home on pavement than off. I had Anakee tires on one of my previous rides, a Triumph Tiger 800, at 6000 miles they were in need of replacement, not bald or anything, but the tire profile had flattened out causing some handling issues. If I had to wager I'd say that I could have pushed them to at least 8000 miles, but since the bike was in the shop for service I had new Anakee III's installed.

Since then, I sold the Tiger to a friend, the tires had 1800 miles when he got it, so we'll see how long on the Tiger. The 2015 GS also came with Anakee III tires, right now at 4000+ miles, the tires still look and perform like new.

So yes, thumbs up on Anakee II and III tires.

- John.
post #3 of 29 (permalink) Old 11-Oct-2016, 07:55 AM (538)
Naviator

Garage
The wear bars on the Anakee 3's are there but hard to see and mostly useless, you can pretty much run the tire down so that the tread is nearly gone in the dead center of the tread, you will be able to easily tell when they need replaced as they wear.

When using PR4 (I use a Trail front and GT on the rear when I run them) they are very wear sensitive to tire pressures, you want to set them so that the RDC (not your handheld gauge) reads at least 38psi front and 42 rear (I go plus 2-3psi front and rear) for the longest tire life and they will last a very long time.
Adventure4Vets likes this.

Fly Navy

post #4 of 29 (permalink) Old 11-Oct-2016, 09:27 AM (602)

Interesting you are wearing out the front before the rear, typical would be 2 rears replaced for each front tire. Of course there could be a couple of things causing this, your riding backwards, you do a lot of stoppies or you need more pressure in the front tire. Just my 2 pence.

'13 BMW K1600GT
'08 Suzuki DR650
post #5 of 29 (permalink) Old 11-Oct-2016, 05:18 PM (929) Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowriding View Post
Interesting you are wearing out the front before the rear, typical would be 2 rears replaced for each front tire. Of course there could be a couple of things causing this, your riding backwards, you do a lot of stoppies or you need more pressure in the front tire. Just my 2 pence.
Actually, faster front wear is pretty normal for twisty riders and for lots of sport tourers. FJR's definitely burn up fronts faster at a rate of 1 and a half to two fronts to one rear. Brake late and blast out is the major contributing factor. Three Triumph Triples worked the same. My 2011GS was more like half to almost one front to the rear. Tire pressure really wasn't a factor although a lot of sport bike riders tend to ride lower pressures than ST riders. With the Anakee III I'm not sure what it is doing. Probably won't unless a put some more miles on until I get to see some wear bars or worse case chord.
post #6 of 29 (permalink) Old 11-Oct-2016, 07:32 PM (022)
Not that senior.

Send a message via MSN to gdayjr Send a message via Yahoo to gdayjr Send a message via Skype™ to gdayjr
Two rears to one front is normal for me

I have now run 4 sets of Pilot road 4 Trail tyres on this 2010 GS.
I always get twice the life from the fronts, and believe me they get ridden hard on the twistier bits, with the foot pegs and even the gear lever grinding the road.

I have just done a 3000 km road trip over 5 days and i can't believe the amount of wear that i have done over that distance.
Running 38 psi front and 42 rear, filled with Nitrogen, they have worn the center of the tread a lot more than i would have expected.
The bike had a loaded top box and both panniers full, so it was running reasonably heavy.
I would normally run only 38 psi in the rear even with the bike loaded up.

I would normally get around 13000 km from the rears,but i doubt if this one will go past 9000 km as it is now.

For me, on the Michelin Pilot Road 4 trail, it will be be 36 and 38 from now on

Graham Day. Sydney Australia
2005 R1200GS 93,000km (Stolen)
2004 R1200GS. 88, 000 km
2007 R1200GS. 34000 km.
current bike. 2010 R1200GS. 62000 km
post #7 of 29 (permalink) Old 12-Oct-2016, 03:25 AM (350)

Location: Livin' in a Poor Man's Shangri, La. aka New Orleans
A3...2016 r1200gs

7500 +- for the rear
12000+ for the front

The rears have been down to the wear bars in some, not all spots; the front still had some wear left before the bars, but very close.

My first rear I could feel slipping a VERY SMALL bit when coming to a stop, just before stopped. My second rear was very squared off, from over 1k miles on slab at the end of life and that affected handling of the entire bike

every Michelin tire I've ever owned slipped on tar snakes starting about halfway into their lives---PR4s, 3, 2, A3

A3=noisy

Just replaced the rear with a scorpion trail ii

Last edited by Dr. Strangelove; 12-Oct-2016 at 03:27 AM (352).
post #8 of 29 (permalink) Old 12-Oct-2016, 08:02 AM (543)

Garage
this thread is duplicate, here and advrider forum!.

2016 1200GS ADVENTURE WITH ALL THE GOODIES
post #9 of 29 (permalink) Old 12-Oct-2016, 09:08 AM (589) Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by x7289155 View Post
this thread is duplicate, here and advrider forum!.
You kinda sorta correct. The topic is the same but the responses are not.
post #10 of 29 (permalink) Old 13-Oct-2016, 10:09 AM (631)

OldButND, I disagree that wearing out a front is common in sport and ST bikes. I have blistered enough front tires and shredded the rear both on and off the track to know a smidge about that. A properly set up bike whether a track bike or street will wear out a rear first as that is where the torque is when you are powering out of the corners. Some things that could cause front wear would be, tire pressure, steering geometry, improper suspension setup or excess weight on the front but common it ain't. Since you ride only on the street put on the PR 4's and forget about the A III's.
JetSpeed likes this.

'13 BMW K1600GT
'08 Suzuki DR650
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW R1200GS Forum : R1200 GS Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode