Correct 12,000 miles maintenance on 2009 - BMW R1200GS Forum : R1200 GS Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 16-Mar-2011, 09:08 AM (589)

Arrow Correct 12,000 miles maintenance on 2009

Hi there,

I am getting conflicting info on the exact 12K Maintenance on my 2009 r1200 gs. Some dealerships say to change fuel filter, others no; some charge $250 some up to $525.

I come from the Harley world where dealership were nicked stealerships; is this the case or is the year change 2009/2010 creating the misunderstanding..
thanks,

Loscureza,
Los Angeles
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 16-Mar-2011, 09:49 AM (617)
Cam Killer

Welcome to the forum.

There is no replaceable fuel filter on the GS. The difference in price may depend upon exactly what is being done. There is an annual service and there is a 12K service. When combined more stuff is done and the price is higher.

http://www.snafu.org/pics/r1200gs/service.pdf is my unofficial check list of things to do during a service. My bike is an '05 so I have more brake bleed tasks than you will have with an '09. It may help you figure out exactly what each dealer is going to do.
Old 18-Aug-2011, 07:28 AM (520)

Quote:
Originally Posted by marc View Post
Welcome to the forum.

There is no replaceable fuel filter on the GS. The difference in price may depend upon exactly what is being done. There is an annual service and there is a 12K service. When combined more stuff is done and the price is higher.

http://www.snafu.org/pics/r1200gs/service.pdf is my unofficial check list of things to do during a service. My bike is an '05 so I have more brake bleed tasks than you will have with an '09. It may help you figure out exactly what each dealer is going to do.
I don't know if BMW has changed to no filter, but all of the late models that I have had (from 1999 on, K1200RS, R1200RT, even K75's) have had a replaceable filter in the fuel tank next to the fuel pump.

Last edited by RickC; 18-Aug-2011 at 07:31 AM (521).
Old 18-Aug-2011, 11:11 AM (674)
Cam Killer

The R 1200 RT has (at least it had) a fuel filter. No so the GS (unless it has been added in the last year or two). There is instead a strainer at the pump input to keep large particles of whatever out of the pump.

The other bikes you mentioned had a canister that fit in the fuel line inside of the tank.
Old 18-Aug-2011, 12:37 PM (734)

Quote:
Originally Posted by marc View Post
The R 1200 RT has (at least it had) a fuel filter. No so the GS (unless it has been added in the last year or two). There is instead a strainer at the pump input to keep large particles of whatever out of the pump.

The other bikes you mentioned had a canister that fit in the fuel line inside of the tank.
There is a sock on the pump intake and the plate assembly which is part of the boost pump assembly has what is supposed to a lifetime filter built into it, therefore you are correct that they are not putting inline filters in the outlet side of the pump any longer. I wonder what drove this change, cost or everyone has clean fuel no matter where they live in the world.
Old 08-Dec-2012, 07:34 PM (065)

Default Nice unofficial list

Hey Marc;
I like your unofficial list of things to do on your bike at 6K and 12K......it is a good guide to follow.
Also talking about gas filters....for those with 2011 R 1200 GS Adventure..I do all the maintenance on my bike and unless the filter is inside the tank the Adventure doesn't have one; also I checked on the repair manual and I didn't find any mention of a gas filter
Sponsored Links
Advertisement