Noise from front of bike - BMW R1200GS Forum : R1200 GS Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-Dec-2014, 06:53 PM (037) Thread Starter

Noise from front of bike

Just purchased a 2013 R1200GS with 900 miles from Harrison EuroSports in Sandy, Utah, great people
I've rode about 500 miles in the last few days, as most of you know the bike is incredible. Been riding off road fifty years, I never would have guessed a 500 pound bike could work so good on Idaho's back county dirt roads, what a blast!
Question, starting at 20mph there is a howling, haunting noise coming from the front of the bike, it comes up the forks through the tank opening, I stuffed foam in the opening just to see if it stop the noise and it does stop a lot of the sound but can't leave the foam in and it looks red necky. Is this noise caused by the brake rotors and calipers, I have had performance car brakes that setup this kind of noise with drilled rotors. It could be the Anakee front tire? or is it air pressure building between the tire and front fender causing the fender to vibrate. I guessing there is a answer, but right know while the weather is staying above 32*F I am to busy riding to figure out the droning noise
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 13-Dec-2014, 04:24 AM (433)

Garage
The latest Mich Anakee tires have been described as loud....some may have even described them as howling....check around on the forum and you will find a lot written about this....some say the fix is a good set of ear plugs...my last 3 sets of tires have been Metz Tournaces and have had no issues.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 21-Feb-2015, 06:22 PM (015) Thread Starter

noise its in my head !!!

Update on ghost noise
OK its weird
Just returned from the Lake Havasu, AZ area. Been riding the GS and a Husaberg for two months great riding and perfect weather.
When I ride the GS with full coverage Shoe helmet visor down I get a lot of noise, I guess its like putting your head in a bell! With a Shoe dirt bike helmet very little noise from road, tires or what ever, and with no helmet( I don't normally ride without a helmet) I get NO noise from the bike! So I'm guessing the helmet just catches small noises and magnifies it.
With ear plugs which I wear on the dirt bike and the GS all you hear is a perfect motoring sound that's cool music to a rider.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-May-2015, 07:26 AM (518)

Hi,

I'm experiencing the same issue on my '15 R1200GSA ... really annoying howling noise coming up through tank opening. Can hear it from 20-70mph.

Noise seems to be captured and amplified by my helmet. As described, its less apparent if I take the helmet off (which I don't do normally). I also have Anakee IIIs. Even with ear plugs the noise still resonates within my helmet.

Did you ever figure out the source of this, is there a fix?

I'm going to try a new TKC70 tire on the front just to see if this is an Anakee issue. I don't expect that will help since the current noise doesn't change with lean angle. Also planning to take a test ride with a different helmet, i.e. Schuberth C3Pro.

Thanks,
John
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 23-Nov-2015, 05:41 AM (487)
slaw p

I just purchased 2013 1200 gs I love the new lc one think I don't like it is the nois coming from front like draging chains in arai helmet
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW R1200GS Forum : R1200 GS Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode