The Truth about the 1200 GS !!! Only the truth - Page 3 - BMW R1200GS Forum : R1200 GS Forums
 14Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 26 (permalink) Old 16-Aug-2016, 10:29 AM (645)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetSpeed View Post
BMW left this little do-dad off the new liquid cooled bikes, I used it on my 05 but now with a 2013 GSW I find myself carrying my helmet into places or hanging it on a mirror and trying to keep an eye on it, a little unnerving with a $650 Shoei, I usually have too much crap in the top case to fit it.
Plus carrying the helmet inside ups the coolness factor.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 26 (permalink) Old 26-Aug-2016, 11:22 AM (682)

Try this helmet lock on for size:

The Easy Helmet Lock for the BMW K1300S, K1200S, K1300R, K1200R, & R Sport

I had one on my K1300S and it was easily the best I've ever seen. My 2016 GSA is wearing one now......

Pricey, but I feel it's worth it.
post #23 of 26 (permalink) Old 26-Aug-2016, 05:28 PM (936)
Kam

That's a cool lock! How was the rekeying? I'm assuming that means making my key also open this lock...

Kam

post #24 of 26 (permalink) Old 30-Aug-2016, 05:18 AM (429)

G'day

My 2008 GSA has 324,121 kms on the clock.

It has had a new clutch, valve stem seals and rear wheel hub seal and bearing.

It gets 5.1lphk urban/highway.

Power is great, torque is tractor like and it handles well considering size and is comfortable as both a commuter and for longer trips. Std fairing setup is fantastic.

The less good;

Boxer motor is a bit rough, particularly compared to others.
It is bloody tall and bloody heavy. At 5'10" and 50 yrs old I am at my limit of size i think. You know you are riding the beast of a motorcycle.

If you are after an adventure tourer primarily for paved and unpaved roads (as opposed to off road trails) it is really good. If off road is your thing I think you would need to be young and fit. I shudder to think of getting it bogged in some remote spot.

Homer J lookalike!
post #25 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-Jan-2017, 07:43 AM (571)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rotarywing View Post
If you are serious about starting a business do your own homework. You can't base a business decisions on second hand cost opinions. You can easily compare maintenance schedules if you check around.

Four bikes is a very small operation so it would not make sense for you to have your own mechanic.
I certainly second these remarks. If you lack the sophistication to know what you're getting into beyond a need for internet input on the most elementary level of a basic business plan...you probably shouldn't be considering a business venture. If and when you may become serious and aware of what it entails you may want to spend some time working with a reputable dealer to learn what you really need to know...right now appears you don't know what there is to know. Partnership with a dealer would be easy if you both understand how you'd benefit. Dealer can sell four bikes to you if he helps you understand what you might be getting into...basis startup work for developing a business plan.

Last edited by Danno; 12-Jan-2017 at 07:48 AM (575).
post #26 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-Jan-2017, 08:35 AM (607)
The ride of Life

Garage
For me service issues are almost nill.

Got my first BMW in 1988, a K-100 still have it, runs strong. Nothing has ever gone wrong with it. A complete dealer service on that bike is about $600.
The next was a R-100GS Airhead. Never any issues. Full dealer service on that was about $450.00
Next an F-650GS Dakar. Full dealer service on that about $800.
Next an R-1150GS. Never any problems. Full dealer service about $500.00
Next a R-1200ST Complete dealer service about $600
Next R-1200RT Never any problems. Complete dealer service about $700.00
Now R-1200GSLC. Now at 6000 miles. Service cost about $700.

What drives the price up is simply time spent by the mechanic.

So, the BMW motorcycles that I have had have been completely reliable.

From riding buds, one was a certified BMW mechanic - regarding the GS, "a good bike but not unbreakable, it seems as though some of the owners go out of their was to abuse them." Another one was in the business of renting bikes, "The biggest issue I have is people falling off of them or running into things. Yes, if you go by the book BMW service is expensive." He had a mechanic that worked for him part time and did the maintenance. BTW, I was his mechanic during a period of under employment.

The biggest issue was flat tires. The second was small riders trying to handle large motorcycles, like the GS. Most renters were very careful with the motorcycles, other than normal wear and tear most were returned as rented. Once in a while we'd get some yahoo that would do some stupid things and the bike came back damaged, sometimes in not so obvious ways.

This guy had BMW's (RT and GS) Hondas (Goldwings, CB-750's and Rebel 250's) The Rebels would get run out of oil. The rider of the rebel would try to keep up with the Goldwings running flat out for hours, the 250 motor would burn (more like regurgitate) oil at sustained redline RPM's and eat it's two quarts up in about 400 miles. He dropped them from his offerings when both of the 250's did the grande thing.

All of his GS's were 1100's at that time, we quickly discovered that an unacceptable small number of riders actually fit them, we installed low seats and lowered the suspension. We added R-1100R's to the stable as well.

Also after about a year he added to the rental agreement that the bikes would not be taken off the pavement.

When he sold the business he had over 40 bikes in the rental fleet. He would do a commercial lease on them for three years, after that they were returned and replaced with new motorcycles, so the fleet was always fresh.

- John
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW R1200GS Forum : R1200 GS Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode