The Truth about the 1200 GS !!! Only the truth - BMW R1200GS Forum : R1200 GS Forums
 14Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-Feb-2016, 09:14 PM (135) Thread Starter

The Truth about the 1200 GS !!! Only the truth

You know that everyone I ask about this motorcycle speaks great about it but they are selling theirs. No one wants to really tell me the truth about the bike, the maintenance, the performance, the cost of "by the book" maintenance with the BMW dealers, etc.

I want to know because I am thinking about opening an Adventure Rental business with 4 of this bikes to start with.

Please only the truth !! Please elaborate.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-Feb-2016, 03:58 AM (415)

Garage
Ok

I own a 2010GS.
The standard rider's seat tortures your arse. Difficult for me to go more than an hour without a stop. This can be remedied easily - gel, air, aftermarket seats etc.
I struggle sometimes with the LCD instruments (but that's as much my eyes as the bike). Difficult to read with the sun behind you.
Standard screen reflects headlight glare back at you after dark. Again, easily fixed. I used rubber strips behind the screen with double-sided tape.
Honestly, I can't think of anything else that's been enough of a problem to mention, and these issues were easily remedied. Only really niggles.
I haven't had to do any out of the ordinary maintenance or repairs yet, but I try to be proactive, and that's always kept me in good stead.
Lastly, this is truthfully the best bike I've owned in 40 years of motorcycling. In many ways, but mainly in that it's the best match for my style and type of riding.
Hope this helps,
Greg
Boringoldfart likes this.
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-Feb-2016, 05:46 AM (490)

I have 2014GS no problems at all. I was very skeptical about the BMW reliability, so far it has proven me wrong. This is my second BMW in 24 years of riding. I do all the basic maintenance my self. Major service I take it in to BMW.

post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-Feb-2016, 08:13 AM (593) Thread Starter

Thanks for the insights!! Please talk about the cost of maintenance, schedules, compare it to other bikes if you can. Level of difficulty performing maintenance, etc. Thanks again!!
post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-Feb-2016, 02:31 PM (855)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobfelicci View Post
Thanks for the insights!! Please talk about the cost of maintenance, schedules, compare it to other bikes if you can. Level of difficulty performing maintenance, etc. Thanks again!!
I have 5600 miles on the OD. First service (600 miles) was done by BMW $214.08 including tax. I just bought oil and filter for $58 that will be my 6000K service. I will do the service, and take it to dealer to reset service reminder, cost is $25.00 plus tax. I don't have GS911 other wise I would reset the service reminder myself. 12000 miles service I will do it my self as well I have to add cost of air filter, 18000 mile service will be same as 6000 mile just oil change. 24K service I will take it in for only to check the valve and reset service reminder everything else I will do it. As compare to Harley's I use to own maintenance cost is cheaper on BMW so far.
x7289155 and roadchick like this.
post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-Feb-2016, 09:16 PM (136)
GS (and DR)

Do you do your own maintenance? If your answer is yes maintenance isn't all that expensive. If you are going to pay the dealer then be prepared to...

1) pay $100/hour or more with typical maintenance functions coming in at 2-4 hours.
2) pay full price for parts and supplies.
3) pay for things that you might not need. It's not that the dealer is ripping you off, it's that a dealer will almost always replace parts that could possible be re-used. Example: I will re-use valve cover gaskets many times. I inspect them pretty well and I do have a spare set in my garage if needed. A dealer will slap on a new set because it's faster AND there's less of a chance that there will be a leak that would cost the dealer time to repair and harm his reputation. Those gaskets aren't cheap (about $100 for a pair, I think).

Doing your own maintenance isn't hard. It is easier if you buy some of the special tools. A GS-911 will let you reset the service reminder.

Edit: my maintenance costs for my '13 have been $1,127.05 over 25,000 miles. That includes the cost of parts (like those gaskets I mentioned) that are still sitting in my spares container. It also include the $236.92 I paid the dealer for the 600 mile inspection. I typically let the dealer do that one. It does not include the price of any special tools purchased nor does it include the $951.07 I've spent on tires. That amount includes a front tire that has not yet been mounted.

Last edited by marc; 09-Feb-2016 at 09:21 PM (140). Reason: costs
post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-Feb-2016, 11:27 PM (227)

Garage
[[/B]
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobfelicci View Post
Like Marc, I try to do as much as I can myself. I really don't count the $ that closely, as I figure it's an investment in reliability, and sometimes just makes life easier. Like a bike hoist, GS911 and decent tools.
You've got to be realistic though, and I know when my ambitions exceed my capabilities, so there are times when it's better to get a reputable professional do the job.
Service costs in Australia are astronomical, but if you pay peanuts you get monkeys.
In a nutshell, you have a class piece of machinery, so you will need to spend money. So don't expect Rolls Royce standards on a Kia budget.
fish13 likes this.
post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-Feb-2016, 02:59 PM (874)

If you are serious about starting a business do your own homework. You can't base a business decisions on second hand cost opinions. You can easily compare maintenance schedules if you check around.

Four bikes is a very small operation so it would not make sense for you to have your own mechanic.
post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-Feb-2016, 09:46 PM (157)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Switchglide View Post
I have 2014GS no problems at all. I was very skeptical about the BMW reliability, so far it has proven me wrong. This is my second BMW in 24 years of riding. I do all the basic maintenance my self. Major service I take it in to BMW.
hey there,

the manual says that the valves need to be checked every 6000, you plan to do it at 24k only?

i'm thinking to do oil and gear oil every 6000 miles, and valve check at the dealer at 12000miles

even though its really easy to check the valves but its a scary process.
the valve cover can be taken out with 3 bolts only and from there i think u can insert a feeler gauge and check it.

2016 1200GS ADVENTURE WITH ALL THE GOODIES

Last edited by x7289155; 10-Feb-2016 at 09:49 PM (159).
post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-Feb-2016, 06:54 AM (537)

Quote:
Originally Posted by x7289155 View Post
hey there,

the manual says that the valves need to be checked every 6000, you plan to do it at 24k only?

i'm thinking to do oil and gear oil every 6000 miles, and valve check at the dealer at 12000miles

even though its really easy to check the valves but its a scary process.
the valve cover can be taken out with 3 bolts only and from there i think u can insert a feeler gauge and check it.

BMW wants you to check the valves 12K, but I never do. I normally don't have them check until 18K or 24K pending how the bike is running. Even then it is still good. I don't see the point to pay more money. I change my engine oil twice a year. Spring for the riding season then just before Thanksgiving. Also change brake fluid and gear oil once a year. Clean my air filter every time I change the oil. Bike is 2 years old still have the OEM air filter. I do follow the book but I use commonsense more. Changing the oil twice a year and brake fluid once a year, is over kill with today's technology. I do it because my 10 year old son loves to help me. He looks forward to work on the bike or the cars.
PoppyGreg likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW R1200GS Forum : R1200 GS Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode