2016 R1200GS Noisy Engine - BMW R1200GS Forum : R1200 GS Forums
 24Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 33 (permalink) Old 23-Apr-2016, 07:27 PM (019) Thread Starter

Question 2016 R1200GS Noisy Engine

Hi, first time poster. I just bought a 2016 R1200GS and have done about 850km. The top of the the engine seems incredibly noisy above 3000rpm. Cruising along at 80-100km/h it seems to make a metallic almost rasping clatter. When i accelerate it actually sounds better ie it seems worse when the engine is not under load. Any thoughts would be most welcome. [Engine Oil is fine]
I also ride a Ducati Monster which is practically silent in comparison!
Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 33 (permalink) Old 24-Apr-2016, 05:16 AM (427)

Garage
2016 R1200GS Noisy Engine

I really can't be of much assistance as I don't know what you're hearing exactly. The water boxer does have it's own whirs & clanks and, if you're not used to it, I'm sure they could be disconcerting. My '09 GSA had a completely different set of noises except for the common first gear "clunk." As mentioned, you checked the oil level and that's what I'd have done. I believe I'd check with the dealer and tell him what you're hearing. I'll bet the chances are pretty good he'll say, "They all do that."

Keep us posted on the outcome.

Mike
post #3 of 33 (permalink) Old 26-Apr-2016, 04:58 PM (915)

I had a 2010 R1200GS and compared to my 2015 R1200GSA is noisy, much quieter with ear plugs in.
PoppyGreg likes this.

Steve
2015 R1200GSA
2015 Indian Chieftain
2016 G650GS

post #4 of 33 (permalink) Old 30-Apr-2016, 04:51 PM (911)

I've had my 2016 GSA for a few months now. I have the same noise on mine, honestly a bit refreshing to know I'm not the only one who hears it. Asked the dealer about it and the answer was it's normal..."caused by the clutch and gears sitting on the front of the motor". Had I noticed it during the test ride, I probably wouldn't have bought the bike...for 24k it shouldn't sound like someone left a bag of bolts in it. It's a great bike otherwise and I keep telling myself I'll get used to the noise, until then I'll avoid taking the Multi Enduro on a test ride .
Rob9696 likes this.
post #5 of 33 (permalink) Old 30-Apr-2016, 06:27 PM (977)

Garage
Thoughts

Been pondering this question ever since I've discovered this site. I wonder if it's a combination of factors magnifying normal engine noises
-engine configuration. The boxer is a unique design and if you're not used to it, it's completely different from other engines. With the heads out in the breeze instead of undertank of fairings, everything's unmuffled.
- design styling. Big wide tank and guards can direct and seemingly magnify noises previously unnoticed.
- drivetrain. The above plus the whirrings of hypoid/straight cut gears have a sound all their own.
- cold motors can sound a bit different.
I reckon generally there aren't major issues behind every noise, but if it makes you go looking or pay more attention to the bike and its care/maintenance, then it can't be a bad thing.
mikec, kennif, Rob9696 and 2 others like this.

Last edited by PoppyGreg; 30-Apr-2016 at 06:28 PM (978). Reason: Layout
post #6 of 33 (permalink) Old 02-May-2016, 02:04 PM (794)

Noisy

Waterboxer are noisier than a John Deer tractor
bikesnob, Rob9696 and Southpaw like this.
post #7 of 33 (permalink) Old 09-May-2016, 12:23 AM (224)

I test rode a new GS this weekend (my third test in the last two years) and the engine noise was horrible. I thought I could get past it but before I finally put on ear plugs, it was almost a deal breaker. My ride home was such a pleasure on my 2010 GSTC, with its throaty exhaust and virtually silent motor (at freeway speeds) and in town the steady thrumming is music to my ears. I liked everything else about the new bike and I have a 2017 on order, but it's still clawing in the back of my mind whether or not I can live with the clatter. I'm really disappointed with BMW that they let their new motor sound so bad. I'm hoping maybe next year they'll address this with some sound deadening material or something. A $23K machine should have the sound of precision as all previous BMW's have had since day one. IMO it's the worst sounding motor in the industry. Granted, at full throttle the exhaust overshadows it, but cruising through town with no load on the motor, it's downright embarrassing. Shame on you BMW, get it fixed.
Rob9696 and Papahari like this.
post #8 of 33 (permalink) Old 09-May-2016, 06:24 AM (475)

Garage

Hopefully, the OP has solved the issue of his "noisy engine." Now, this is just my experience with BMW's "water-boxer" engine. As I mentioned in a earlier post, the new engine does have its own set of noises. One of the most numerous complaints I've read about and heard, is the sound a hot engine makes when idling. If warm enough, this noise is a compression release mechanism that is disconcerting to some. It's just the price you pay for having the extra horsepower at your beck & call.

Case in point: Here's a photo I took in Death Valley one hot morning:

I spied these two coyotes while riding on Badwater Road toward Shoshone and coasted to a stop with the engine off. After taking a few photos, I got back on the bike, fired 'er up and, yup, the compression release mechanism was doing its thing. The normally skittish animals didn't move. The engine just isn't that noisy. It's just a different sound.

I've crossed the US twice on my '14 and, in just under five weeks, I'll leave for Alaska. This machine is, without question, the finest BMW I've owned and I like having the extra power of the water-cooled engine. Noise? What noise.

Mike
PoppyGreg and WayneW like this.
post #9 of 33 (permalink) Old 09-May-2016, 08:21 AM (556)

Music!

I have tinnitus bad so I play music through my Sena to block the buzzing in my ears and no more engine noise.
PoppyGreg likes this.
post #10 of 33 (permalink) Old 09-May-2016, 09:50 AM (618)

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwbob51 View Post
I have tinnitus bad so I play music through my Sena to block the buzzing in my ears and no more engine noise.
Bob, if you've been hanging around that P-51, no wonder you have tinnitus but I can think of no finer way to acquire that issue. When traveling your part of the country, I probably would have heard your tinnitus had mine not been so bad.

Mike
bmwbob51 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW R1200GS Forum : R1200 GS Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode