Valve clearance check - Page 2 - BMW R1200GS Forum : R1200 GS Forums
 19Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 60 (permalink) Old 23-Sep-2016, 04:01 AM (375)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Strangelove View Post
includes flushing the brake fluid
I don't want to steal the thread but can you elaborate on how the GS911 aides in bleeding the brakes?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 60 (permalink) Old 23-Sep-2016, 07:31 AM (521) Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwbob51 View Post
I've had the valves checked twice along with safety check for peace of mind. I do all the other maintenance. The first one cost $350 because they didn't reuse gasket and second time $150 reusing gasket. Unless the gasket gets hard, I say reuse it!
my dealer didnt give me the option to decide on whether re-use or not re-use the gasket

what's your year and mileage?

2016 1200GS ADVENTURE WITH ALL THE GOODIES
post #13 of 60 (permalink) Old 23-Sep-2016, 07:31 AM (522) Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by WayneW View Post
I don't want to steal the thread but can you elaborate on how the GS911 aides in bleeding the brakes?
he meant check for pending or stored CODES using the GS911.

you just scan the bike computer. it's another check list on the 6k. or every service

Last edited by x7289155; 23-Sep-2016 at 07:36 AM (525).

post #14 of 60 (permalink) Old 23-Sep-2016, 07:36 AM (525) Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
FYI, 6k service, on newer models, includes flushing the brake fluid and reading of codes. A GS 911 pays for itself on that one service.

yes, peace of mind is sometimes more elusive than an enjoyable meal with Brad and Angelina.

The gaskets are hard to begin with, unless they changed the material; they are plastic. They last tens of thousands of miles of miles.
oh now I see what you mean with flushing the breaks and Gs911.

You only meant reading the codes with GS911.

I can flush the break fluids, but break fluid i think should be by year 1 or year 2. dot 4 last pretty long and is less susceptible to water absorption compared to dot3. but it's an easy task and i already have a brake bleeder pump and all.

I think i will inspect it and that's about it for the 6k. when time comes for the 12k i will do everything + the valve check (at the dealer)

I checked my codes on 911 yesterday, i needed to reprogram my tpms using it and i did it while we are at it. no codes here.

thanks!

post #15 of 60 (permalink) Old 23-Sep-2016, 07:37 AM (526)

Quote:
Originally Posted by x7289155 View Post
my dealer didnt give me the option to decide on whether re-use or not re-use the gasket

what's your year and mileage?

Current milage is 35K miles. First check was $350 and charged for gasket. Second at 24K miles $150 and reused gasket!
post #16 of 60 (permalink) Old 23-Sep-2016, 07:39 AM (527) Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwbob51 View Post
Current milage is 35K miles. First check was $350 and charged for gasket. Second at 24K miles $150 and reused gasket!
maybe i should try to find a different seller for the gaskets and take it to the dealer.

thanks for sharing!

post #17 of 60 (permalink) Old 23-Sep-2016, 08:54 AM (579)

Location: Livin' in a Poor Man's Shangri, La. aka New Orleans
re the gaskets...
going on my experience with an 1150 and a 1200, both roadsters. the gaskets are made of a hard plastic material, nothing soft. They last. The torque values for the bikes mentioned were like 8 and 10 nM. In fact, on one of the bikes, I think it was the 1150, I replaced them after 10s of thousands of miles for no reason other than "just because they were that old," and had some buyer's regret. It seemed to me that the old ones fit better than the new ones because, I thought, they had settled in and took the shape of the small imperfections of the cover and base. I ultimately saved the old ones, and they still hang on the garage wall. Neither the new ones nor old ones leaked. Both old and new looked the same condition, the new ones did not look "new" nor did the old ones look "old."
I am "assuming" that the material for the GS is the same, and the torque values are similar---someone please correct if that is an incorrect assumption. I have not yet removed on my 16 GS so can't comment on personal experience with it.

Re the brake flush
The brake flush is on the list for the 6k service. In the past it was just "inspect," but on the newer bikes the FIRST 6k service states clearly "replace." Subsequent it is time and inspect.

re the GS911
The GS911 does not aid in the brake flush, but part of every service is to read the fault codes, which the GS911 does. It's pricey, but addresses the "peace of mind" dept nicely. Example, after a recent trip, I started having the experience of the bike not starting on the first throw of the starter. Also, I noticed at slow speeds she behaved sluggishly (like a pig with distemper) when navigating tight spaces, made the actual handling tricky and I almost went over on a simple neighborhood turn because of it.

I thought maybe it was some bad gas, from somewhere in a derelict gas station in NE NM, only had 86, and I only put in a gallon or so. When home I put in some seafoam and it corrected the issue so far I think--ie handling and power like new now. BUT...I wanted to see if anything untoward was going on, so I slipped in the GS911 and ran the fault codes, and all was fine.
--->>> Peace of mind.

Aside: for years I knew of the GS911 and because it's pricey ($350 ish) I resisted. When I got the GS, I bit the bullet and got one when I took delivery-it's price paled in comparison to the bike's and the WAF (wife acceptance factor) was easier at initial outlay than later. I am really glad I have it though, admittedly, it does far more than I understand. Just to be able to read the fault codes is worth the price. It eliminated the trip (75 miles x2) to the dealer for the 6k and 12k service as it was the only "service" I otherwise could not perform. And my time is cheaper than the dealer's, and I enjoy getting to know the bike.

I REALLY wish the GS911 could turn on the Dynamic Brake Light. It cannot, it seems.
If some euro guys have a hack for that, please post!
post #18 of 60 (permalink) Old 23-Sep-2016, 09:45 AM (614) Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
re the gaskets...
going on my experience with an 1150 and a 1200, both roadsters. the gaskets are made of a hard plastic ma, and I enjoy getting to know the bike.

I REALLY wish the GS911 could turn on the Dynamic Brake Light. It cannot, it seems.
If some euro guys have a hack for that, please post!
dynamic brake light as in, it flashes when you stop?
my friend has that, but it does it on an extra light he added. maybe it's just a small chip with it.

btw, shouldn't the bike itself, set the engine light or error light on your dash if you have an issue?

that is, if there is an issue, you don't need GS911 to know there is an issue cause the light in your dash will light up if there is, GS911 will tell you what the issue is. so you only need to scan it if you see a light on your dash,

same as the car, you dont need to plug an OBDII scanner unless check engine light is on!.

post #19 of 60 (permalink) Old 23-Sep-2016, 09:51 AM (618)
The ride of Life

Garage
Every 6000 miles.

Oh, valve lash, that's a hot topic. I do mine every 6000 miles regardless of time. I find the lash tends to drift around a bit on the R bikes (GS and RT) but never on the F650.

- John
post #20 of 60 (permalink) Old 23-Sep-2016, 09:58 AM (624) Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bumblebee View Post
Oh, valve lash, that's a hot topic. I do mine every 6000 miles regardless of time. I find the lash tends to drift around a bit on the R bikes (GS and RT) but never on the F650.

- John
yourself or by the dealer? do you put new gasketS?
did you ever need to adjust the vavles?

what's the year and mileage of your bike

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW R1200GS Forum : R1200 GS Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode