Valve clearance check - Page 3 - BMW R1200GS Forum : R1200 GS Forums
 19Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 58 (permalink) Old 23-Sep-2016, 10:54 AM (662)
The ride of Life

Garage
My experance seems to indicate...

Quote:
Originally Posted by x7289155 View Post
yourself or by the dealer? do you put new gasketS?
did you ever need to adjust the vavles?

what's the year and mileage of your bike
Here is what I have found on my bikes:

R-100GS. '91 98,000 Miles Airhead, valve lash tightens up noticeably over 6000 miles.
R-1100. ' 96 110,000 Miles First gen oilhead, slight drift. Nothing serious.
R-1200ST '03 Hexhead 14,000 miles, pretty constant, always withing spec at 6000 miles.
R-1200RT '06 Hexhead 30,000 sort of drifty. Usually needs a touch-up ant 6000 miles.
R-1200GS '15 It's a waterboxer, I just got it so no data.

I generally do my own work, but not always.

When I pull the rocker boxes off I always have a spare rubber gasket available, but I don't necessarily use it, they are supposed to be reusable. So far this was worked for me.

- John.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 58 (permalink) Old 23-Sep-2016, 06:02 PM (960)

Quote:
maybe i should try to find a different seller for the gaskets and take it to the dealer.

thanks for sharing!
same dealer! I'm just specifying reuse gasket unless it's unusable and I'll want to see it if they say it's toast!
post #23 of 58 (permalink) Old 24-Sep-2016, 11:47 AM (699)
GS (and DR)

Quote:
my dealer didnt give me the option to decide on whether re-use or not re-use the gasket
A dealer never will. OK, most dealers never will. It's a time/cost /reputation thing.

As an owner you can look at a part and make a decision to re-use or not. If you make the wrong decision with respect to a valve cover gasket you'll wind up with a few drops of oil on the floor and some wasted time. If a dealer makes the same decision and the gasket leaks he's out the time to fix the problem, the cost of the labor to fix the problem, and a loss of reputation. As a result a dealer will always use new. It doesn't cost him anything extra (you're paying the bill for the new gaskets) and the dealer has less of a chance of losing time, money, and reputation.

A 6K valve clearance check was appropriate for 2009 and earlier bikes. BMW switched to overhead cams with bucket and shims in '10. The appropriate valve clearance inspection for the new bikes is every 12K. With the bucket and shim set up you won't be replacing shims very often.
x7289155 likes this.

post #24 of 58 (permalink) Old 24-Sep-2016, 01:48 PM (783)

Garage
Intervals

I know what the manuals say, but I've always had this thing - no matter which bike it was - that I do a "minor" service (check/change fluids etc) on the 5000km, and a "major" (same as minor only with filters, check clearances, pad thickness, nip everything up, etc) on the 10000km.
Obviously I don't bleed the brakes that often, that's an annual kind of thing.
I know I really don't need to, but it's that feeling of knowing everything has been done, versus that maybe I should have done that, but it should be ok niggling uncertainty. Know what I mean?
Some call it OCD, some might consider it pedantic, or just anal. I call it peace of mind.
Greg
post #25 of 58 (permalink) Old 26-Sep-2016, 08:44 AM (572) Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by PoppyGreg View Post
I know what the manuals say, but I've always had this thing - no matter which bike it was - that I do a "minor" service (check/change fluids etc) on the 5000km, and a "major" (same as minor only with filters, check clearances, pad thickness, nip everything up, etc) on the 10000km.
Obviously I don't bleed the brakes that often, that's an annual kind of thing.
I know I really don't need to, but it's that feeling of knowing everything has been done, versus that maybe I should have done that, but it should be ok niggling uncertainty. Know what I mean?
Some call it OCD, some might consider it pedantic, or just anal. I call it peace of mind.
Greg
I AGREE,
it's a maintenance OCD hehe.
i got 5600 on the bike now, so by the time she hits 12k ill figure out what to do, most likely ill have it checked.

2016 1200GS ADVENTURE WITH ALL THE GOODIES
post #26 of 58 (permalink) Old 26-Sep-2016, 09:29 AM (604)
Naviator

Garage
I have a 2013 GSW with 42,000 miles.
I check the valve clearance every 12,000 miles and have not yet had to adjust although the last check (@ 36k miles) showed that they are all on the tight side but still within spec, so I decided to measure each shim and record it so that I can order shims ahead of time when needed.
PoppyGreg likes this.

Fly Navy

Last edited by JetSpeed; 01-Oct-2016 at 08:26 AM (559).
post #27 of 58 (permalink) Old 26-Sep-2016, 03:42 PM (862)

Location: Livin' in a Poor Man's Shangri, La. aka New Orleans
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetSpeed View Post
I check the valve clearance every 12,000 miles and have not yet had to adjust although the last check (@ 36k miles) showed that they are all on the tight side but still withing spec, so I decided to measure each shim and record it so that I can order shims ahead of time when needed.
good idea, but how will you know which to order? Is there enough difference in thickness that it's obvious which one it should be? Why are they available in different thicknesses? Does everything else around the shim also wear?
post #28 of 58 (permalink) Old 27-Sep-2016, 07:40 AM (528) Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetSpeed View Post
I check the valve clearance every 12,000 miles and have not yet had to adjust although the last check (@ 36k miles) showed that they are all on the tight side but still withing spec, so I decided to measure each shim and record it so that I can order shims ahead of time when needed.
you did it yourself every 12k? did you reuse the gaskets? any leaking issues?

post #29 of 58 (permalink) Old 27-Sep-2016, 07:41 AM (528) Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Strangelove View Post
good idea, but how will you know which to order? Is there enough difference in thickness that it's obvious which one it should be? Why are they available in different thicknesses? Does everything else around the shim also wear?
i think we need photos! so far, all we have is actions NO PICTURES

i know this forum sucks at sharing photos/attaching anything... maybe we have links at least.

post #30 of 58 (permalink) Old 27-Sep-2016, 07:44 AM (530)
Naviator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Strangelove View Post
Valve shims do not wear, they compensate for the items that do wear (valve face and seat, cam and followers) and normal variances in production, they make it easy for a manufacturer to precisely set valve clearances during assembly and provide a solid means to adjust those clearances throughout the motorcycles service life.

Back in May I measured the exhaust valves and all were at 0.34 mm, which is as tight as you want them to be, specs are (0.34...0.41 mm) when I pulled and measured each shim three were at 2.00 mm and one was 1.98 mm I recorded this along with their position in the head.

The intake valve clearance was measured at 0.13 mm on three valves and 0.14 mm on the one, specs are (0.10...0.17 mm) the shims were measured at 2.18 mm on three valves and 2.24 mm on the other, these intake valves are right in the middle and will probably not need to be adjusted for a long while.

Valve shims are available from BMW in increments of 0.02 mm ranging from 1.72 mm to 2.40 mm at a cost of about $7 apiece, the dealership I use had very few of them in-stock.
When it comes time to swap out exhaust shims I know what size the oem shims are and will order three 2.02 mm shims and re-use one of the 2.00 mm in place of the current 1.98 mm to make the necessary adjustments since valve clearance is reduced with normal wear.

I checked the cam-timing at 12,000 miles and was a bit surprised that it was off, either not correctly set at the factory or there is a significant amount of initial wear-in. I have since checked it every 12k miles and it has been spot on, the engine runs noticeably smoother with this setting correct.

Fly Navy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW R1200GS Forum : R1200 GS Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode