Valve clearance check - BMW R1200GS Forum : R1200 GS Forums
 19Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 60 (permalink) Old 21-Sep-2016, 09:17 AM (595) Thread Starter

Garage
Valve clearance check

Hello All,

I'd like everyone's experience and opinion on HOW OFTEN they actually do the valve clearance check.

Manual says YEARLY, and it seems like it's too many times and very costly, cause even if you don't adjust anything you still have to replace the valve cover gaskets etc...

i do my own maintenance, but I'm planning to do that specific one at the dealer even though it's really not that complicated and i have feeler gauges and all that. I'm thinking to do it once every 2 YEARS. not yearly or every 18k miles to $24000 (assuming i drove 12k miles a year)

How often have you done it on your bike? what is the year and mileage of your bike, have you done it yourself, or at the dealer?

thanks

2016 1200GS ADVENTURE WITH ALL THE GOODIES
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 60 (permalink) Old 21-Sep-2016, 11:27 AM (685)
GS (and DR)

On a wethead I check every 12K miles which for me is is about once a year. No changes, yet.
post #3 of 60 (permalink) Old 21-Sep-2016, 11:39 AM (693) Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by marc View Post
On a wethead I check every 12K miles which for me is is about once a year. No changes, yet.
what mileage do you have? did you do it yourself or dealer? and what did they charge?

thank you!

post #4 of 60 (permalink) Old 21-Sep-2016, 05:26 PM (934)

It isn't necessary to replace the gaskets every inspection. Wipe them down and reinstall...they're pretty tough will last numerous times. Manual suggest every 12,000 miles...go by miles not time for valve checks. After second check (24,000 miles) without much movement I'd go to that 18,000 interval as you mentioned.
post #5 of 60 (permalink) Old 21-Sep-2016, 07:46 PM (031)

Location: Livin' in a Poor Man's Shangri, La. aka New Orleans
I did all of my 12k miles service except for the valve check. I was getting a tire at Big Sky BMW, Missoula recently, right at 12k miles and asked them about it. They said that they've only seen one bike need valve service at that mileage and this particular nbike had some serious issues, much more than valves out of adj.

Because our bikes have shims, I questioned them about that also: is there just one size? do you have to buy a set, IOW what's the deal on it?
They told me they don't even carry shims in stock, that if a bike needed them replaced they would have to order them. They felt it wasn't worth the hassle of keeping them in inventory because it just wasn't that common of a "wear" item. And they said that they come in different sizes, so a measurement must be done to determine what shim would be needed, if replacment was necessary.

Does that sound right? It was clearly what they said. I didn't misunderstand.

So, now it is 3k miles later and I'll probably pull the covers and check them, keeping fingers crossed, but if anyone has any insight to support Big Sky's impression, I'd be interested.

Thanks

John
post #6 of 60 (permalink) Old 22-Sep-2016, 07:34 AM (524) Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danno View Post
It isn't necessary to replace the gaskets every inspection. Wipe them down and reinstall...they're pretty tough will last numerous times. Manual suggest every 12,000 miles...go by miles not time for valve checks. After second check (24,000 miles) without much movement I'd go to that 18,000 interval as you mentioned.
thats a good plan i guess,

do it at 12k, 24k, then start doing it once per 2 years or once every 18k. (depends on the miles per yeaR)

regarding the gaskets, it should be replaced. it's not about tough, it's about rubber being torqued in and changing shape.

luckily however, on GS the cylinder head is outside and if you do have a gasket failure you will see the leak and then replace it!

post #7 of 60 (permalink) Old 22-Sep-2016, 07:40 AM (527) Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Strangelove View Post
I did all of my 12k miles service except for the valve check. I was getting a tire at Big Sky BMW, Missoula recently, right at 12k miles and asked them about it. They said that they've only seen one bike need valve service at that mileage and this particular nbike had some serious issues, much more than valves out of adj.

Thanks

John
I only know one person who has 2 GS, both liquid cooled and he never done the valve service.

but yea it's all about PEACE OF MIND hehe.. so i dont know.
i'm at 5500 miles now, so my next service is just engine oil change in 500 miles and i'm going to do that myself.
by the time i get to 12k, ill see!
but i asked bmw, they told me it's about $200 to $350 (with adjustments if needed) so it's not tooooo bad...
the whole 12k service is $700. but i will do the engine oil, gear oil, air filter myself and take it in for valve inspection only.
and they charge $140 for gaskets. they gave me the estimate. it's about $75 per valve cover gasket. WAY TOO MUCH.

post #8 of 60 (permalink) Old 22-Sep-2016, 07:54 AM (538)

I've had the valves checked twice along with safety check for peace of mind. I do all the other maintenance. The first one cost $350 because they didn't reuse gasket and second time $150 reusing gasket. Unless the gasket gets hard, I say reuse it!
post #9 of 60 (permalink) Old 22-Sep-2016, 11:22 AM (682)
GS (and DR)

[QUOTE=x7289155;151546]what mileage do you have? did you do it yourself or dealer? and what did they charge/QUOTE]

About 30K (I'll be doing another service, soon). I do the normal service items myself. Except for the initial 600 mile service.

My 12K service.
My 24K service.
Other GSW stuff: 2013 R1200 GS (Water Cooled)
post #10 of 60 (permalink) Old 22-Sep-2016, 03:44 PM (863)

Location: Livin' in a Poor Man's Shangri, La. aka New Orleans
FYI, 6k service, on newer models, includes flushing the brake fluid and reading of codes. A GS 911 pays for itself on that one service.

yes, peace of mind is sometimes more elusive than an enjoyable meal with Brad and Angelina.

The gaskets are hard to begin with, unless they changed the material; they are plastic. They last tens of thousands of miles of miles.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW R1200GS Forum : R1200 GS Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode