Coolant leak - BMW R1200GS Forum : R1200 GS Forums
 4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 18-Oct-2016, 03:49 PM (867) Thread Starter

Coolant leak

Does anyone know why this hole is here and why coolant seems to be coming out of the hole.
I am taken it to dealer tomorrow.
Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 18-Oct-2016, 06:54 PM (996)

Garage
My guess that is a "weep" hole for the water pump/area. Seems to have a water pump or conection leak. My .02

RSmith

15 K1600 GTL
16 R1200 GS/Adv
17 HD Ultra CVO
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 18-Oct-2016, 09:46 PM (115)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by rsmith View Post
My guess that is a "weep" hole for the water pump/area. Seems to have a water pump or conection leak. My .02
I was going to say the same thing, most water pumps have some form of weep hole just after the pump seal to let you know when the seal is about to go.

Bob
Victoria, BC
Canada

2016 R1200 GS Adventure

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 19-Oct-2016, 11:56 AM (705)
GS (and DR)

Some leakage there is normal. At least BMW calls it normal. The story is that if the pressure gets two high the O ring will deform and let a little out through the weep hole. Something like that, anyway.

On my bike I sometimes see some splatter after working the engine hard, e.g. climbing twisty mountain passes that keep my in 2nd or 3rd gear or running low speed on dirt roads. When I get home I wipe the splatter off.

Check your coolant level. If it's not going down much there is nothing wrong (again, according to BMW). I now top off the coolant most services. The pic shows how much I lost in 6K miles. That's 2-3 oz -- not all that much.

JetSpeed likes this.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 19-Oct-2016, 04:55 PM (913) Thread Starter

I drop my 2015 r1300gs off at the dealer. They are going to change the water pump. I was told that Bmw knows there a issue.
They were not sure if the pump had any update changes to it.
They told me that they had run in the spring changing water pumps.
Good news they also told me that they haven't seen one come back once they change the pump out.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 20-Oct-2016, 08:40 AM (570)
Naviator

Garage
I agree with marc and my experience has been about the same in that on occasion there is visible fluid around the weep hole.

There is a difference between a small amount of coolant (a weep) which is normal and a blown seal that leaking, and generally speaking if you rarely have to add coolant you don't have a leak.

Here is a good piece of literature explaining the weep hole written by one of the largest water pump makers in the world (Aisin): http://aisinaftermarket.com/uploads/...4516276_en.pdf

I personally prefer that a dealer only does warranty repairs that are 100% necessary on my bike, it is my experience that the reliability of my bike is only as good as the last mechanic to have worked on it.
I have heard of many of these pumps weeping tiny amounts of fluid but have yet to hear of a seal blow out leaving anyone stranded.

I support Chelsea Clinton as U.S ambassador to Benghazi.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 20-Oct-2016, 10:04 AM (628)

Here's a pic of my failed water pump. Note the emulsion of water and oil from the weep hole. Thus according to the 2nd mechanic that replaced it stated that it should have been replaced by the Service department that I had originally complained too after a 3,000 mile trip to the South West.
Attached Images

post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 22-Oct-2016, 04:56 PM (914)

Garage
Weep hole.

I understand that your problem has been already fixed but while my engine is apart I thought I'd clarify what the weep hole is.
Attached Images

hundaco and JetSpeed like this.

Past: 1955 Norton ES-2, 1972 Norton 750 Commando Long Range Fastback, 1977 Honda 350XLE, 2001 R1150RT (written off), 2005 R1150RT, 2004 R1150GS, 2001 F650GS.
Current: 2013 R1200GS LC
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 24-Oct-2016, 05:01 PM (917) Thread Starter

The picture help a lot showing the weep hole. I got my bike back and took it for 300 mile run no fluid. I still have a hard time accepting it leak sometimes. My other bikes and snowmobiles and vehicles only leak when there was issue. BMW ?????
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 24-Oct-2016, 05:18 PM (929)
Naviator

Garage
A small amount of fluid that has weeped out and a leak are two different things, most vehicles do not have a weep hole that is in such a conspicuous location so you wouldn't notice if it were weeping slightly.

I support Chelsea Clinton as U.S ambassador to Benghazi.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW R1200GS Forum : R1200 GS Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode