R1200GS Forum banner

Replacement for my GS

9K views 10 replies 9 participants last post by  gezerbike 
#1 ·
Back in the nineties I bought four Honda VFRs. At the time I couldn't find another motorcycle that suited my needs any better. Many motorcycling magazines said 'it was probably the best motorcycle in the world'. I found it difficult to argue.

Time has moved on and the VFR's riding position is too extreme for my ageing bones so my last two bikes have been R1200GS'. Soon it will be the time to update (very nervous about owning a modern motorcycle out of warranty). So, what do I get? The GS appears to be the only motorcycle that ticks all the boxes but why have I come to this conclusion?

Let's consider the opposition (in no particular order) and what don't like about them -

BMW S1000XR - vibration, chain drive, feels low geared.
Ducrapi Multistresser 1200 - bought one in 2010, the most unreliable motorcycle I have every owned, never again.
KTM 1290 Super Adventure S or T - headlight on S ugly as sin, chain drive, heat from engine, thirsty.
Triumph Tiger Explorer 1200 - very big and heavy.
Triumph Tiger Sport 1050 - chain drive, bland to look at, only available in black or silver.
Honda Africa Twin - 'only' 94 BNP, chain drive, 21 inch front wheel, no cruise control.
Kawasaki Versys 1000 - chain drive, poor suspension, no cruise control
Aprilia Caponord 1200 - no dealers for miles.
Suzuki V Strom 1000 - low power, chain drive.

OK, so what don't I like about my BMW R1200GS LC TE - err, err I'm thinking, still thinking........

I welcome suggestions any other alternatives to the GS.

See less See more
#4 ·
you've done enough research. Why the resistance? The lure of the strange?

Your reason to even consider another is because your current (reliable, I assume) bike is starting to perhaps get long in the tooth? Where does that reason fit in your analysis? If you are pre LC, test ride one. Bring your wallet.

Seems to me you have two choices:
Stick with what you have and take your chances on reliability--which is sort of legendary in this bike
or
Get a new GS and ride

:smile2:

John

#6 ·
I expect you are all wondering why I am considering any other motorcycle when my GS 'ticks all the boxes'. I think the clue was when I wrote that I was 'very nervous about owning a modern motorcycle out of warranty'.

In two and a quarter years and twenty four thousand miles my GS has had two left handlebar switch units (cruise control switch broken both times), a rear wheel (paint falling off) and a rear shock absorber (fault with the damping).

With the cost of BMW spares so exorbitant I don't think I could afford to run a GS out of warranty.

#8 ·
Kawasaki?

I think I should 'look outside the box' when I need to update my GS.

Will definitely test ride a 2017 Kawasaki Z1000SX when it's available. Despite having chain drive, it appears to tick most of the boxes. In addition, it will have Japanese reliability and cost several grand less.

#9 ·
I think I should 'look outside the box' when I need to update my GS.

Will definitely test ride a 2017 Kawasaki Z1000SX when it's available. Despite having chain drive, it appears to tick most of the boxes. In addition, it will have Japanese reliability and cost several grand less.
transitioning from german to japanese is tough.

i would stick to GS.

plus you are coming to a GS forum, GS lovers, GS owners and asking us WHAT TO REPLACE YOUR GS with? c'mon. :D

go to kawasaki site or advrider forums and ask that question, i'm sure you will get a better unbiased feedback.

I have tried japanese adventure and nothing no other bike perform the same in regard to handling, ergonomics, brakes, performance.

#10 ·
For me BMW seems to be about the best.

What you need is BMW appreciation 6 months. Go and buy a Kawasaki KLR-650, but keep your GS. There is "nothing" wrong with the KLR. May happy owners around the world. They'll all tell you they are the best. Now go on a nice weekend camping trip, maybe 500 miles. When you get home rest up a little and get on the GS.

Epiphany? :surprise:

- John.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.