R1200GS LC LED Headlight - BMW R1200GS Forum : R1200 GS Forums
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 15-Dec-2016, 08:13 AM (592) Thread Starter

Question R1200GS LC LED Headlight

Hi there
The visor or reflector inside my 2013 LC R1200GS is loose since the bike was dropped from a standing position. I asked about how much is the new headlight it turned out to be 1800$
Is there anyway that I can dismantle the headlight, fix that visor and put it back together? Or that headlight cannot be opened?
Cheers boyz
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 15-Dec-2016, 09:15 AM (635)
Naviator

Garage
The LED headlight assembly is sealed and not considered serviceable, I have not heard of anyone repairing one but that does not mean that it isn't possible, if it were mine I would try and pry or use heat to separate the front and back shells to gain access to the reflector being careful not to cause any more damage or mutilate the housings so that I could not bond them back together.

Also keep in mind that if you have full coverage insurance the headlight would be covered or at least the amount to have it replaced (parts and labor) minus any deductible.

I support Chelsea Clinton as U.S ambassador to Benghazi.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 15-Dec-2016, 10:30 AM (688)
The ride of Life

Garage
If I were you..

I would remove it and try to disassemble it and make repairs. $1800 is an awful lot of ca$h for a headlight. If you mess it up then, well, it was already messed up anyway. Right?

Although I was not the one doing the work, I understand it's screwed together and can be repaired. YMMV. This is only hearsay. I have not done this to mine.

- John.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 15-Dec-2016, 11:31 AM (729)
Naviator

Garage
I have had my LED headlamp off the bike in order to facilitate applying a lens protective film and I can assure you that the assembly is a sealed unit and will not come apart by simply removing screws (I didn't just make part up), there are 4 screws on the front that hold the plastic bezel on and that is it. It will take some real patients and care and a lot of time to disassemble the unit and even more care to get it back together properly.

I support Chelsea Clinton as U.S ambassador to Benghazi.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 15-Dec-2016, 12:50 PM (784)
The ride of Life

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetSpeed View Post
I have had my LED headlamp off the bike in order to facilitate applying a lens protective film and I can assure you that the assembly is a sealed unit and will not come apart by simply removing screws (I didn't just make part up), there are 4 screws on the front that hold the plastic bezel on and that is it. It will take some real patients and care and a lot of time to disassemble the unit and even more care to get it back together properly.
I wonder how he got it apart then. Let me check....
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 15-Dec-2016, 05:48 PM (991)

Location: Washington, Idaho, Utah, Maryland, Nevada, Mississippi, Germany, Alaska, Texas, Italy...
Garage
I can weigh in on this. My headlight too was loose after my bike cartwheeled - I got a new unit on Black Friday at a awesome discounted price of $1300... *barf*

Anyway, if you unplug the heat sink or whatever the heavy metal part underneath the headlight unit - and take off the cover on the back of the unit, you may be able to reach in and manipulate the internals where you could epoxy the headlight to something inside, or use a popsicle stick to epoxy to the lens and the shell, then button it back up. Who knows where it will be pointing though... I think aiming the light will be the toughest part of the job. Insurance paid for a new one, so I went that route, but I wouldn't have been opposed to trying something. Couldn't make it any worse!

For kicks, I tried to pry the lens away from the back shell. No go. It must be bonded with something really strong. I literally had the garbage man take it away yesterday morning, so my info is as recent as Tuesday Night.

Good luck -it's a lot of cash to cough up! My light was cracked and would have suffered water damage etc anyway, so I didn't really need to keep a non-serviceable unit.

"No good work whatever can be perfect, and the demand for perfection is always a sign of the misunderstanding of the ends of art.""No good work whatever can be perfect, and the demand for perfection is always a sign of the misunderstanding of the ends of art."
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 15-Dec-2016, 07:15 PM (052)

Garage
That is really an expensive piece for something on a bike you know you're gonna take a fall on

RSmith

15 K1600 GTL
16 R1200 GS/Adv
17 HD Ultra CVO
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 16-Dec-2016, 08:18 AM (596)

Location: Washington, Idaho, Utah, Maryland, Nevada, Mississippi, Germany, Alaska, Texas, Italy...
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by rsmith View Post
That is really an expensive piece for something on a bike you know you're gonna take a fall on
That's a good point. The OP said his just fell over and it broke the headlight. That's crazy. BMW needs to beef it up if that's the case. My bike went ass over teakettle, so I can't say it was an insignificant hit that broke the light. I am a little flabbergasted at the expense. Someone needs to come up with a $500 aftermarket version that plugs and plays and they'll steal the market!
charliehorse likes this.

"No good work whatever can be perfect, and the demand for perfection is always a sign of the misunderstanding of the ends of art.""No good work whatever can be perfect, and the demand for perfection is always a sign of the misunderstanding of the ends of art."
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 19-Dec-2016, 05:22 PM (973)
The ride of Life

Garage
100% right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetSpeed View Post
So I got in contact with the owner of the one horse MC garage, asked him how the LED headlight repair was going. He replied with "It just unscrews" my reply "Did you do this? Did it come apart?" Sheepishly he THOUGHT it came apart spying 4 screws, but brother, it does not "just unscrew and come apart", but I'll bet that there is a way. I'll just try to find it.

- John.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 19-Dec-2016, 08:23 PM (099)

Garage
I removed my headlight when I installed the headlight guard; I had a good look at it and despite the 4 screws it looked quite sealed so I will be interested to see if he was successful. $1800.00, I wish. Here in Canada I was quoted $2400.00 CDN for a replacement headlight hence the now installed guard.

Bob
Victoria, BC
Canada

2016 R1200 GS Adventure
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW R1200GS Forum : R1200 GS Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode