Switchgear - BMW R1200GS Forum : R1200 GS Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-Jan-2017, 02:28 AM (352) Thread Starter

Switchgear

I don't think I am alone in having problems with BMW's handlebar switchgear. In my case the cruise control has failed to work correctly for the THIRD time, which requires the entire left switchgear assembly to be replaced.

Why does BMW refuse to redesign this problematic item? Each time it is replaced with the exactly the same part, which will inevitably fail again. The cost to BMW for warranty claims must be quite considerable plus it gives them a bad name regarding reliability.

It would be interesting to know if anyone else has had more than three left switchgear assemblies replaced.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-Jan-2017, 08:32 AM (605)
Naviator

Garage
On my 2013 GS I had the very same switch-gear failure you describe and the dealer replaced it under warranty with an updated unit during the summer of 2013 and it worked fine, about two years later I had the bike in for a recall repair on the transmission seal and the dealer replaced the switch-gear on both sides as part of a customer experience improvement campaign and I have not had any issue's with them either.
But it is my understanding that the parts had been redesigned at least twice since the new model was introduced in 2013 and that the switches were originally manufactured by Nokia.
There is not always a part # change when parts are updated unless they change manufacturers of that part.

Fly Navy
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-Jan-2017, 09:25 AM (642)

Same issues with my CC and the right side start/stop button is beginning to fail again. While it is an annoyance as long as they keep replacing them I'm good with that. I suspect we just have to burn through the inventory of unreliable ones before we get the good stuff.

'13 BMW K1600GT
'08 Suzuki DR650

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-Jan-2017, 08:43 AM (613)
The ride of Life

Garage
On my 2015, so far so good. I wonder how water proof they are?
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-Jan-2017, 11:21 AM (723)
Naviator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bumblebee View Post
On my 2015, so far so good. I wonder how water proof they are?
I've ridden in torrential downpours many times and not had problems with the new switchgear although my initial failure was after riding in the rain.

Fly Navy
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-Jan-2017, 11:28 AM (728)

Location: Livin' in a Poor Man's Shangri, La. aka New Orleans
ditto with JetSpeed re rain riding.
On my 16 the Trip/Info button gets a bit stiff and sticks sort of, but an occasional smidge of wd40 handles it. If I could get it out I'd file the edges where the switch is nearest the housing and I think that would solve the issue.
In the first 7k ish miles I thought the cruise control was acting up, though now think it was user error.

When I would try to resume my prev setting it would set at current speed. I think it seemed that way because the resume response takes a bit of time and it seems like it is setting current rather than resuming prev speed.
It is something I am watching though
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-Jan-2017, 11:33 AM (731)
Naviator

Garage
Two things I don't like about the cruise control:
  1. It is too easy to disengage by over-twisting the throttle past idle, especially as the throttle gets more worn in.
  2. The speed sets 1.2mph faster than where I engage it.

Fly Navy
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-Jan-2017, 02:52 PM (870)

I had a K16 with a switch failure but they replaced both w/o issue, circa 2015. I was told at the time they did redesign the switches with more robust circuitry; never had another problem. NO issues with cruise control on that bike or the GSA. Good luck.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-Mar-2017, 07:46 AM (573)

I lost all instruments on left side handlebar yesterday on new 2016. Service closed today but this sounds like switch gear issue? So they've known about this, just like the pump I had to have replaced when all coolant poured out weep hole first 500 miles? Very annoyed!
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-Mar-2017, 02:30 PM (854) Thread Starter

Sadly when BMW have a problem with a part, instead of redesigning it they merely fit the same old rubbish part. Time after time!

I have had three left switchgear assemblies replaced in less than 30,000 miles. Each time the cruise control switch had failed. The quality of BMW's switchgear is comparable to the plastic toys found in Christmas crackers.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW R1200GS Forum : R1200 GS Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode