3Likes
  • 2 Post By Kam
  • 1 Post By Kam

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-Jan-2017, 04:07 PM (921) Thread Starter
Kam

Talking 36k

Hi all!

Well, my 2015 GS after 1 year 6 months just passed 36,000 miles! It's sitting getting dry in my garage, its pouring rain in Santa Cruz California and just returned from work (40 miles). So I guess my extended warranty kicks in!

So here are my thoughts on the 36k miles

I've changed tires 3 times. I'm currently on running the Heidenau K60 Scouts. just passed 12,000 miles on them, and I feel I could go another 4 easy.
I've followed all the service intervals etc.
My right control thingy that has the Start button was showing signs of sticking, so they replaced.

I changed my saddle to Saddleman Saddle...pillion too. I've happy with it. Done many 370 mile trips with no butt pain!
I replaced my turn signal lamps with LED version. No issues
I've added Clearwater Erica's up front, and their Billie LED setup for the rear. No issues
I've added touratechs hardware to mount their Zega (?) side cases. No issues
I've added Givi top case and givi top mounting hardware. This is ALWAYS on my bike. No issues
I've added the Altrider rear brake foot pedal enlarger plate. No issues. I wish I had done this day #1
I've added the Altrider skip plate. No issues
I've added the Altrider lower engine gaurds. No issues
I've added the X-Head_LC cylinder guards from machineartmoto. No issues. Everyone should get these! X-Head_LC | machineart moto | a DESIGN EDGE for your BMW

Schuberth C3 Pro helmet. No issues
Schuberth SCR/SCS/SRC or whatever they call it helmet bluetofus system. No issues. There is about an 8 hour listening limit before that battery needs charging. I'm not sure if I would buy this helmet setup again...

Lets talk Aerostich! I own 2 suits from them, both the Darien jacket and pants. Just different sizes. I also had briefly their C3 suit, but it leaked like a mother, and their repair leaked, so I returned as there was bad juju with the suit! I will be purchasing a R3 [again]. Okay, all their external pockets can and will leak water. PERIOD. I have had to scotch gaurd all my external suit pockets. Lost a phone just a few weeks ago due to the "the suit may be water proof, but the pockets are just resistent" issue. Why would you sell a water proof garment but not pass the same water proofness to the external pockets too?! What good are the pockets in the rain? I normally carry my wallet, keys, and phone in the front as they can be accessed easily. I just cannot understand why?! I've had to apply scotch guard to the crotch of my first darien, and after the leaking R3, when I got my new darien pants, I immediately scotch guarded the crotch area seems. After todays ride in the rain, this current pants and jacket DO NOT LEAK (other than the pockets if I did not scotch guard them (again, I ask why?!)). My old pants left zipper came off; and so did both sides on my new pants. I was able to fix myself with a fix kit from them. All in all, the company is good, they've stood by their products, and sent return shipping labels etc to resolve the issue, their support people are great etc! They need to revisit their quality control side. Stupid mistakes etc.

I've done some good dirt rides with the Scouts. No issues, but I don't have another set to compare...the bike handles great, at least with my skill level!

The bike LOVES the rain. I don't care what anyone says, when it pouring down rain, the bike just growls and has no issues, this is when the extra weight is nice!

I ride it normally in Dynamic mode
In rain, Rain mode
When in dirt, Pro mode as I have "dirt" tires

I'm used to the weight, but are still times where I go whoaaaaaaaa!...and nearly lose it!
I've dropped my bike a total of 4 times; 3 in the same day! all nearly stopped, slow turns etc. The engine guards saved the day!
I've only had about 3 close calls; but I was able to extract myself from the situation; all on the highway. this is where the Clearwater lamps work wonders! I AM SEEN!

I got stuck in sand. rear tire got dug REAL DEEP! These were not dirt tires! Had to get 2 additional people help pull it out!

This is my main vehicle, rain or shine, I ride this bike. At a minimum to work and back, about 85+ miles per day.

I normally do not "race", been there, done that. I prefer 80 tops; but generally cruise with the traffic.

I LOVE THE CRUISE CONTROL

All in all, I LOVE this bike. I'll drive her until things break...then purchase a new one and repeat!

I'll give my 72k mile report in 18 months!

~Kam
Yarra and Sed8r like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-Jan-2017, 05:05 PM (961)

Garage
Thank you, gave me some great ideas for the future of my GS. Looking forward to next report.

Cheers,

Bob
Victoria, BC
Canada

2016 R1200 GS Adventure
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-Jan-2017, 09:54 AM (662)

Sounds like things are going well and you're enjoying the GS..what 3 tires have you gone through so far ? How noisey are the K60 scouts on pavement ? I almost ordered a set but chickened out last minute and went with Torance next..wore out the Anakees that were on the bike when I picked it up last December and I had no issues with them..would love a more aggressive tire for off road,but like you I do a lot of Tarmac ..

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-Jan-2017, 10:03 AM (669) Thread Starter
Kam

The first set of tires were the stock anikees 80/20

The second set were the trail somethings 80/20

The current scouts 50/50. There is a vibration i feel at 55mph. Below and above no issues. I have no issues with the noise. Great high mileage tires. I would replace with same tires. Good on dirt, rain, etc. At least on my skill level!

Kam
Crowbar likes this.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-Jan-2017, 02:30 PM (854)

Garage
how was your valve clearance thru out, did u change brake pads? .. what's in your maintenance record?

my 16 is 1 year old now,

i so far changed under warranty,

- the switches on the handle bar, both sides, ignition switch was sticky and info button was also sticky, dealer replaced both on warranty.
- replaced the clutch slave due to a recall
- weep hole sometimes weeps but not enough to replace the water pump.

other than that, i have 9000 miles on the bike and she's running strong! .

2016 1200GS ADVENTURE WITH ALL THE GOODIES
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-Jan-2017, 02:38 PM (859) Thread Starter
Kam

Just replaced both brakes @ 36k. Still had 25%, but decided to get changed.

Oil and recommended maintenance every 6k miles

They checked valve at 18k and 36k. No adjustments needed. Don't know measurements

No issues at all other than replacing right cluster for starting/modes/heater

3 flat tires. Non on scouts

I use front brake lever nearly exclusively, unless on dirt or on turns

Kam
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-Jan-2017, 04:42 PM (945)
NC Mtn Man

Garage
Thumbs up

Informative post Kam. Thank You!
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-Jan-2017, 05:16 AM (469)

Garage

Nice critique, Kam. Thanks for taking time to post your findings.

I've got a couple of Darien jackets, too, and you're certainly correct about the pockets leaking. On both of mine, the zippered pockets are fine. It's the slash pockets that allow water in. I got some Seam Seal from the local REI store, turned the jacket inside out, and treated the seams of the jackets. Since then, I've had no issues.

Another think you can do is cut an old washcloth in half and stick one of those in each slash pocket. In a driving rain, they get a little damp but not soaked.

Mike
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-Jan-2017, 08:52 AM (619)
The ride of Life

Garage
Thank you.

Your insight is invaluable to me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW R1200GS Forum : R1200 GS Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode