R1200GS Forum banner

What to expect

2K views 13 replies 7 participants last post by  rolling18 
#1 ·
Hi All,

I am test riding a GS and GSA this weekend and coming off a K1600 was looking for some expert advice on what to expect or look for?

Also,
-Will the NAV IV (4) work on a 2017?
-Is there that much diff between the two bikes beside price and initial outfitting?

Thanks in advance.
Mark.

#2 ·
I did not try the GS. I wanted the larger fuel capacity, the bag mounts, suspension travel, engine/tank guards, spoke wheels, skid plate, and etc. Have learned that all that is available after market, some at better quality, especially the skid plate. I really do like the fuel capacity and the wind protection of the larger tank. Wish you were closer and you could try out mine.

Reactions: Ryno23
#3 ·
I just made the switch from a GTL after 3.5 years to a 2017 GSA. I had tried a GS loaner and similarly to rsmith, the GSA has significantly more wind protection.
I also fell in love with the GSA as getting 200lbs lighter was such a relief. The combination of the shorter wheel base and lighter bike make this a much more agile/flickable bike in the twisties. The GTL cockpit was the most quiet one I've ridden in, so that will be a change I think. The Central locking system was a luxury that may be missed. I think the seat is more comfortable on the GSA and I love how the suspension feels in the turns on the GSA better than the GTL in Sport mode (ESA). The balance of the boxer twin motor was incredible as opposed to the right pull on the GTL. My Nav V plugged in just right and I was impressed how the Nav unit knew it was on a GSA vs a GTL. Bike icon on the home screens even changed to match (not on the map). I don't know about the Nav IV...it may be a good time to get into the Nav VI at this point. There is a guy on GS Giants offering a big discount on them.
Have a good ride. Once I got on the GSA with shift assist pro, there was no looking back for me!

#4 ·
Seat height is going to be a big difference from the GTL. The standard seat height is 29.5" on the GTL while on the GS standard is 33.5" and 35" on the GSA, there are options for lowering both GS models. If you use the GS for mostly on road with the occasional day ride on dirt that might be the bike to get. If you like to go out and bash your bike about rock gardens, get stuck in mud and ruts then the GSA with more out of the box protection and ground clearance might be the one, at least it was for me. Of course you can always add extra bits of protection as needed, Tourtech will gladly help lighten your wallet when the need arises.

Reactions: Ryno23
#5 · (Edited)
I test drove a 2017 GSA and GS yesterday. I was amazed by the power of the little boxer engine on both models. The GS is the preferred model for me. It seemed smoother and more responsive. I also drove a privately owned 2016 GS with 8K miles on it. It had the premium package, BMW bags, upper and lowers, light cover, and a bunch of additions for $17,700. Couldn't tell much difference between it and the 2017. It will need new tires soon though.
Now I get to spend all weekend deciding which way to go.

#9 ·
congrats! I also am making the addition of a GS!!

love the 1600 GTL and not getting rid of it yet unless I just never use it anymore.

I'm wanting to wander into the off road a bit and see how I like it!
waiting for my used 16 1200GS to show up in a couple weeks!
i'll take to much of a loss selling the big GTL!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.