R1200GS Forum banner

2015 GS broken Vario case

2K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  JetSpeed 
#1 ·
Hi Guys,
I own a 2015 GS with about 2500 miles. I didn't get to use it much last year but next month I am planning a trip around the Colorado, Wyoming area.
I noticed last month that the release mechanism on my right side Vario case was not working properly. After messing with it for awhile I managed to get it to release from the bike and took it into the dealer. I informed them of the problem and told them I had hoped it was under warranty.
After a month of the dealer having the case and no calls back, I called them this morning to get an update. They informed me that BMW rejected the warranty claim and I basically had to buy a new Vario case because there are no parts available to fix the release mechanism. The dealer also said that I must have broke the mechanism and that is why it isn't covered under warranty. This seemed a bit strange so I called BMW USA to inform them of the situation. They were courteous and told me they would look into the situation. Has anyone else had a problem with these Vario cases? And are there really no parts to fix them? Do you think BMW should warranty this? Apparently the cases have a 2 year warranty and I'm covered until July. If it isn't covered, I'll be a bit apprehensive to purchase a new GSA next year like I was planning!

#4 ·
I also had the release mechanism on my left side Vario case fail, the case was a few weeks old and the dealer replaced it on the spot but also blamed me for the problem even though I had never removed the case from the bike and the first time I tried it was broken.
I would wager a bet that your dealer sat on your case and didn't bother to send BMW a warranty request at all but told you the warranty was denied, I had this exact same thing happen with a dealer on another accessory item but when I called BMW NA they had no record that the dealer ever applied for warranty coverage and they approved the claim over the phone and I took it to another dealer just a little further away for the work.
I can honestly say that I get treated far better by the Chevy dealer for warranty work on my truck than the BMW dealer for my GS.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.