R1200GS Forum banner

ACF 50 question

5K views 8 replies 3 participants last post by  Bumblebee 
#1 ·
I know it's spring (unless you live in the Southern Hemisphere) and it's a bit early to be talking about preparing my new R1200GS TE for winter riding but I have a question about ACF 50. I am planning to have it treated with ACF 50 this autumn but if I do can I continue to use superb spray on, hose off cleaning products like Muc Off or Motoclean 900 or will they remove the ACF 50?

#3 ·
To clean the bike between six monthly (?) ACF 50 applications do I :-
1. Just hose down bike (with or without pressure washer).
2. Wash with brush and sponge (with or without automotive shampoo).
3. Never wash bike until the spring.
4. Reapply ACF 50 every time I wash the bike with either hose or brush/ sponge.

Many thanks in advance.

#4 ·
Our maintainers use this exact same stuff on our helo's and they have to re-apply it after every aircraft wash (aka: 14-Day Inspection) to the areas of the helicopter that were washed with soap by hand, I would imagine that the same would hold true if harsh cleaning chemicals were used by pressure washer.
I use ACF-50 one the area underneath my seat to protect the electrical stuff and I never wash under there other than some mild cleaner and a towel so I rarely re-apply.

#5 ·
For winter storage clean the bike, put fuel stabilizer in the fuel, ride it around the block, put the battery on a battery tender (not trickle charger) put it in the garage and cover it with a breathable cover.

ACF-50 does a good job preventing corrosion, once applied it leaves a waxy-like coating. A product like S-100 will remove it, but it takes some scrubbing to get it all off. You plan to leave the motorcycle outside all winter?

- John

#6 ·
I ride my motorcycle all year round. Was rather hoping I could treat with ACF 50 in the autumn then wash it once a week to keep it looking cleanish but it looks like if I did that I would have reapply ACF 50 weekly, which could prove expensive.

I currently pressure wash my bike whenever I use it in the winter and then spray it with water based Scottoil FS365. Bit of a pain to do but it doesn't take too long.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.