I am terrified - BMW R1200GS Forum : R1200 GS Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 16-May-2017, 07:23 PM (016) Thread Starter

I am terrified

Despite of think of my self a good mechanic. Being a mechanical Contractor, and being had several bikes,even Put an audiovox cruise control in a VStrom, i am terrified to touch the bmw not to mention the cam bus, them I have read what people do in theirs, and i astonished, so I hope this forum help me to go ahead.
I want to put a battery tender, can I disconnect the battery, put it back without any problem to the computer/ecu?

let me mention the I got a gs lc 1200 2014 with 2400 miles, fully loaded, with lots of accessorizes for 16k plus and after market warranty until 2022 and 150000 miles
love the bike, the ride ever had.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 17-May-2017, 01:46 AM (282)

Garage
You can remove the battery. All settings will be preserved.
Make sure you use the safest method of disconnecting the negative terminal first and reconnecting it last.

Past: 1955 Norton ES-2, 1972 Norton 750 Commando Long Range Fastback, 1977 Honda 350XLE, 2001 R1150RT (written off), 2005 R1150RT, 2004 R1150GS, 2001 F650GS.
Current: 2013 R1200GS LC
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 17-May-2017, 08:38 AM (568)
The ride of Life

Garage
To add a battery tender just grab an SAE pigtail (one comes with it when you buy it, also available separately) and directly connect it to the battery. Route the pigtail down on the R/H side of the bike and tie wrap it to the frame. Done. The battery comes out the right hand side of the bike, it's behind the R/H side plate. You can use that SAE plug to power other items too.

Second option is to get the BMW "Canbus" battery charger, then just plug it into the accessory outlet. This charger communicates with the electronics on the motorcycle and turns on the accessory outlet when it's plugged in. Good clean way to charge the battery but that gizmo is stupid expensive for a battery charger, but its really tetchy cool! How may people can say they have an LCD display on their battery charger?

IMHO, the CANBUS system should be left unmolested. Power and data run over the wires that feed the various electrical loads on the motorcycle. Every load is monitored by one of several controllers, if excess power is drawn the controller will shut the load off. If a "foreign" electrical load is connected to the motorcycle systems the flow of data can be compromised causing all sorts of issues.

The solution is to either go directly to the battery, or connect the battery to an electrical distributor block, this adds multiple connections and fuses each one. This is the accepted way to add electrical loads to your GS.

This video shows you what a $200 battery charger looks like:

- John

The Ride of Life.

Last edited by Bumblebee; 17-May-2017 at 08:59 AM (583). Reason: More Stuff. We all need more stuff.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 17-May-2017, 08:58 AM (582)

You don't even need to wire leads to the battery for a battery tender. You can buy units specifically for the bike that just plug into the accessory outlet next to the instrument panel.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 17-May-2017, 09:48 AM (616)
The ride of Life

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weir1200GS View Post
You don't even need to wire leads to the battery for a battery tender. You can buy units specifically for the bike that just plug into the accessory outlet next to the instrument panel.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Just checked that out, a much better and $100 cheaper option. But, still no graphic LCD display to impress your friends with.

The Ride of Life.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 17-May-2017, 11:28 AM (686)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bumblebee View Post
Just checked that out, a much better and $100 cheaper option. But, still no graphic LCD display to impress your friends with.
Its a really nice unit and tests the batter each time you plug it in. It then auto-detects whether it should charge or must "maintain" the battery and it shows you what it's doing via a series of lights. It actually works WITH the CanBus instead of bypassing it.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 17-May-2017, 11:31 AM (688)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weir1200GS View Post
Its a really nice unit and tests the batter each time you plug it in. It then auto-detects whether it should charge or must "maintain" the battery and it shows you what it's doing via a series of lights. It actually works WITH the CanBus instead of bypassing it.
If you want to send me an extra $100, I'll apply a little BMW sticker to the Optimate unit to give you that "genuine BMW" accessory touch.
I'm not saying the BMW unit isn't great; I have no experience with it. Just saying the one I bought works really well and is ever so simple to use.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 17-May-2017, 06:41 PM (987) Thread Starter

i agreed with not molest the cambus, on the other hand, the charging in the plug is neat
thanks every body for the help

Last edited by luisc500; 17-May-2017 at 07:13 PM (009).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW R1200GS Forum : R1200 GS Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode