hole on the left side - BMW R1200GS Forum : R1200 GS Forums
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By PoppyGreg

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 17-May-2017, 07:01 PM (001) Thread Starter

hole on the left side

Sorry about my stupid questions, but like the proverb said; ask one question and pass for silly 5 minutes. don't ask a question and be silly you whole live.
To the point, the bike is a 2014 with 2400 miles on it, the first trip, i did see a drop of coolant, being told it could be the pump, or the seals due to low activity, that should ride like stole, so it stop or will leak more and will need a pump work, so i did it, today after 60 miles in 75 MPH took a look and nothing, now after all this ranting, when you look in the hole
it look lake have a sponge material?? is normal or is some thing the previous owner could put there?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 17-May-2017, 08:56 PM (080)

Garage
The hole is for the overflow from your coolant pump. It directs any coolant to the outside of the engine instead of contaminating the engine oil.
If the bike is fairly new and a little crust forms, wash it off. If it persists, there is a leaking coolant pump seal.
I don't know what the sponge material is. There should be no material in that hole. If it is a blue/green colour, it may be the coolant that has crystalized.

Past: 1955 Norton ES-2, 1972 Norton 750 Commando Long Range Fastback, 1977 Honda 350XLE, 2001 R1150RT (written off), 2005 R1150RT, 2004 R1150GS, 2001 F650GS.
Current: 2013 R1200GS LC

Last edited by Houdini; 17-May-2017 at 09:23 PM (099).
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 18-May-2017, 12:54 AM (246)

Garage
Wink The only silly question

Is the one you don't ask...
rsmith likes this.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 18-May-2017, 07:56 AM (539)
Bike&Ski

There are several threads on this forum related to this issue. Here is one.

2013 R1200GW LC Water Pump Leak

Agree it could be crustallized coolant. There shouldn't be a sponge in there. I would clean whatever is in there out so I had an accurate understanding of how big the leak is. Most of the posts I've seen say that if it is a few drops here and there then leave it alone but if it is steady discharge then you should replace. I have not heard of the pump failing from this issue. My 2014 had this issue and I had the pump replaced under warranty.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 18-May-2017, 10:33 AM (648)
Naviator

Garage
This is called a weep hole and it is normal to see a little coolant escape from the hole, there should not be enough leakage though to result in you having to add coolant to keep the level up.
The sponge (Foam Rubber Insert BMW Part # 11 11 8 546 228) is installed at the factory to hold a tiny amount of coolant to give it time to dry and prevent it from draining out of the hole so the owner doesn't see coolant and figure that the pump seals have failed.
Push the sponge back into the hole with a small pointed item so it doesn't fall out.

Fly Navy
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 18-May-2017, 11:43 AM (696)
The ride of Life

Garage
BMW considers a small amount of leakage normal. The early production bikes did this more than later ones. I'd say ride it and watch.

- John

The Ride of Life.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 18-May-2017, 06:21 PM (973) Thread Starter

thanks guys, learning every day, hope in time i acquire some knowledge
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW R1200GS Forum : R1200 GS Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode