Flaws of the Zumo 660 - BMW R1200GS Forum : R1200 GS Forums
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-Apr-2010, 07:00 PM (000) Thread Starter

Flaws of the Zumo 660

The Zumo is a nice GPS, but it has a few flaws, some very annoying and unacceptable on such an expensive device. These two are my pet peeves:

- It the unit can't find a street, it may be due to a simple typo. So, you go back to entering the name, but you have to start from scratch, because the 660 hasn't retained what you typed before. This is stupid. The cheapest smallest computer can do that.

- And the worst: The «Avoidances» and «Route preferences» options are general «Settings» from the «Tools» menu, but they should be offered as specific options to chose from every time you enter data to find a route. For example, sometimes, you want to avoid highways, sometimes you don't. One should not have to remember to first go and check the general settings when entering data. Today, going back home from errands in the suburbs, the 660 made me take numerous congested small streets and avenues, because I had forgotten to go and uncheck «Avoid highways» in the geneeral settings.

I have already voiced my discontent with Garmin, asking for a rectification in a future free downloadable software update. If you agree with me, please, make your voice heard as well with Garmin. Thanks.

One ride a day keeps the doctor away.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-Apr-2011, 06:38 PM (985)

Oddly, on the Street Pilot III that I have used since 2003, the main setup menu has a switch allowing you to have the GPS ask the route preference question each time a new route has been requested. I am surprised that the Zumo 660 (to which I am seriously considering changing) has done away with that setting/option.
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-Apr-2011, 02:00 PM (791)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCML View Post
Oddly, on the Street Pilot III that I have used since 2003, the main setup menu has a switch allowing you to have the GPS ask the route preference question each time a new route has been requested. I am surprised that the Zumo 660 (to which I am seriously considering changing) has done away with that setting/option.
This option went away after the 26xx/27xx/28xx generation as far as I know. Big mistake IMO. Drives me a little nuts having to delve into the menu system to switch from fastest to shortest.

--chiba

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-Apr-2011, 03:17 AM (345)
Not that senior.

Send a message via MSN to gdayjr Send a message via Yahoo to gdayjr Send a message via Skype™ to gdayjr
Exclamation Gps

You need a GPS to back from the local shops????????

I don't think the GPS is the problem here !
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-May-2012, 12:06 AM (213)
Late Life Crisis

Unfortunately, each iteration of the devices seems to be trying to be more user friendly but unfortunately they also become less useful. The 276c was one of the best units in terms of user options for a motorcyclist although the chipset is not as fast as newer units and as a discontinued product, repairs will be a problem.
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 17-May-2012, 12:16 PM (719)

"The GPS made me . . ." !!!

post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 17-May-2012, 04:47 PM (907)
Reprobate

I use a GPS as just another navigational tool, so don't depend on it. I have only two complaints with the 660. First, it's never managed to hold a cell connection. It links up just fine, and the phone icon displays. I can take or make a call, but 30 seconds into the call I lose the Bluetooth link. Secondly, the speed display turns to red on gray at 1mph over the speed limit, and in anything less than optimal conditions there's not enough contrast to see how fast I'm going.

The GPS itself works just fine, and I like pairing it with Basecamp for Mac
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 22-Jul-2012, 06:25 AM (475)

Though now discontinued the Garmin 276C is the best GPS for dual sporting out there. Love it and will never upgrade as long as I can keep the two units I have working. So far they have been bullet proof for five years.

2012 R1200GS Triple Black
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 14-Aug-2012, 06:05 AM (462)

I've installed my Nav IV / 660 and I'm not so thrilled with it yet. My issues are, in descending order of importance.
The screen is terribly dim. I have a very difficult time reading the screen, directions, speed, etc. it requires me to have my eyes diverted from the road for far too long for comfort.

The absence of the external headphone jack on the BMW version is a significant oversight.

It regularly tells me I don't have any MP3s installed whe I try to play music.

I still have my Zumo 550 and XM antenna set up with two auto and two bike cradles. I wish I hadn't registered the 660 Nav IV. I would sell it and continue with my existing set up that works. I incorrectly assumed the newer model was an improvement.

I do like the newer style maps. I just wish I could see them while riding when I need them. But they look great in the garage. They probably looked very nice in the R&D labs at Garmen HQ.

I'm a Garmin loyalist.
I've owned the original orange screen Streetpilot, two 2610, at least 3 automobile units for my cars, and two Zumo 550s. Sorry to say this one is a disappointment.

Last edited by RoadRdr; 14-Aug-2012 at 06:08 AM (464).
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 18-Nov-2012, 12:44 PM (780)
'09 R1200GS + '81 R80 G/S

Zumo 660

My 660 is a disappointment to me. What bothers me most is the tendency for the screen to go blank in the middle of a route and take 10 seconds or more to regenerate.
There are also some technical issues relating to inability to read tracks, etc.
Will I buy another?
They're ok for street and highway.
On the dirt they leave much to be desired.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW R1200GS Forum : R1200 GS Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode