Navigator IV problems - Page 2 - BMW R1200GS Forum : R1200 GS Forums
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-Dec-2016, 06:33 PM (023)

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldButNotDead View Post
Have you loaded Garmin Express to make sure you have the usb drivers loaded? It takes more than hardware to make the connection. I've got a Quest, Nuvi, Zumo and Nav V and the only cable issue I have is some won't charge the unit unless it is a Garmin specific cable, but NONE of them will work unless the right drivers are loaded.
That's a good point - Garmin Express will try to identify the device and allow you to update its firmware etc.

One other point - and it may not be the same on the Nav IV but on the NAV V I can remove the micro SD Card from the device and plug it into my computer. That may make it possible for you to work via the card rather than the device. You will need an adaptor to change it up to a standard SD format.
In Australia (not certain if it is like this elsewhere) we have the maps loaded and locked onto the micro SD Card (not the device) and that way we can swap between countries. It's a pain because we can't get map updates as part of the purchase, but it does mean you can avoid having to plug the device in every time.

I made a copy of my micro SD Card to a USB thumb drive and my MacBook Pro recognizes this as the NAV V. It allows me to do all my trip planning in Basecamp using only the USB stick, and then when I'm done, I can plug the Nav V in and transfer the files.

I know Basecamp gets some bad press, but once you get past the less than great interface, it is a powerful tool and my tool of choice for all routing and planning.
OldButNotDead likes this.

Mark H
Sydney, Australia
2015 R1200GS Black Storm
2012 R1200R White
2010 R1200R Black
2007 F800ST
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-Dec-2016, 08:16 PM (094)

Garage
Mark,
Garmin has never been all that great at loading anything into the unit itself. The Nav V has been the best unit I have ever had. Have a Zumo 660 which is pretty good and two Nuvi 2797's for the car which are OK. These units have all loaded from express fairly cleanly, but earlier models were a crap shoot on map uploads.

Back to device drivers. The ones in the unit and firmware are usually OK even if a revision or so behind although I recommend getting everything up to date if you upload new maps. The ones in the PC are essential if you want BaseCamp to talk to a unit. A real good clue is if express isn't seeing the unit. If it does and BaseCamp isn't you probably need to upload the latest version of BaseCamp.

It's the Ride, Not the Destination.
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-Dec-2016, 01:57 AM (331) Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Have you loaded Garmin Express to make sure you have the usb drivers loaded? It takes more than hardware to make the connection. I've got a Quest, Nuvi, Zumo and Nav V and the only cable issue I have is some won't charge the unit unless it is a Garmin specific cable, but NONE of them will work unless the right drivers are loaded.

Yes I have been using Garmin Express for a long time as I also use a Garmin Swim Watch and that didn't detect the unit either, and it was explained to me by Garmin that if the PC doesn't detect the unit then neither will Garmin Express.

This unit only has UK, Ireland and Europe maps hard loaded into it as there is no Micro Sd card installed in it. Garmin confirmed that they will re install the same maps onto the new unit no charge.

They even gave me the procedure for getting the unit into a diagnostic mode and I couldn't even get it to do that so something was definitely wrong with it.

The only downside is it takes 10-14 days to complete the RMA process but with the weather as it is right here I won't be getting out much in that time

Only ridden the bike once since it was delivered last Tuesday and loved every minute of the 90mins I was out on it.

First bike in 7 years, First BMW and first Adventure type bike it was awesome

Thank you everyone for the advice though much appreciated.
OldButNotDead likes this.

post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-Dec-2016, 01:02 PM (793)
Naviator

Garage
If it were me I would for sure spend the small amount to have the unit replaced by Garmin, I would then keep it in its box and resell it using the proceeds towards the purchase of a Nav-V or the Nav-VI which will coming out early next year.
I had a NAV-IV back in the days and several issues with it.

I support Chelsea Clinton as U.S ambassador to Benghazi.
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-Dec-2016, 06:29 PM (020)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetSpeed View Post
If it were me I would for sure spend the small amount to have the unit replaced by Garmin, I would then keep it in its box and resell it using the proceeds towards the purchase of a Nav-V or the Nav-VI which will coming out early next year.
The first complication is that the OP is in the UK. For a long time Garmin's customer service was fantastic. When my long out of warranty Zumo 450 gave up the ghost they sent me a refurb 550 for free complete with shipping. Those days are gone, but I agree Garmin should fix it right. Experiences from guys in the UK, EU, OZ and NZ that I have read have not always been so good.

It's the Ride, Not the Destination.
post #16 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-Dec-2016, 08:14 AM (593)
Naviator

Garage
Quote:
The first complication is that the OP is in the UK. For a long time Garmin's customer service was fantastic. When my long out of warranty Zumo 450 gave up the ghost they sent me a refurb 550 for free complete with shipping. Those days are gone, but I agree Garmin should fix it right. Experiences from guys in the UK, EU, OZ and NZ that I have read have not always been so good.
I don't see the complication, Garmin has already offered to replace his faulty and out of warranty Nav-IV with a new unit for just £120.

I support Chelsea Clinton as U.S ambassador to Benghazi.
post #17 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-Dec-2016, 01:24 PM (808)

Location: Livin' in a Poor Man's Shangra, La. aka New Orleans
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Crane View Post
Had a new cable delivered today and still not detected
then there's your answer. Good luck. Just as a point of information, there is a guy that works on these units, that I have used. Reasonable pricing and quick turnaround.
GPS Repairs : PalmDR.com, PDA Repair Done Right!

The garmin deal may be better, but just putting this out for more info. Garmin would likely send out a refurb unit, but your point is well taken, esp if some warranty comes along with it.

Last edited by Dr. Strangelove; 05-Dec-2016 at 01:26 PM (810).
post #18 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-Dec-2016, 08:19 AM (597) Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetSpeed View Post

Yep it went in the post end of last week and arrived with them yesterday so hopefully it won't be too long and a new/refurb unit will be winging its way to me

The thought had occurred to me about selling it and putting the money towards a Nav-V especially as my local BMW dealer are doing a £100 off for the next couple of months.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW R1200GS Forum : R1200 GS Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode