Ride to the Sky, NH Style - BMW R1200GS Forum : R1200 GS Forums
 2Likes
  • 2 Post By TBone

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 17-Jun-2016, 06:54 PM (995) Thread Starter

Ride to the Sky, NH Style

June brings Laconia Bike Week to New Hampshire and now that I started to ride, have been paying attention to activity. Yeah, for those not familiar with it, it is probably 95% Harley owners gathering where thousands of people and clubs meet each spring .

Working from home (Boston) and read that Mt Washington Auto Road - is "motorcycle only" for 4 days each year Ride to the Sky - Mount Washington Auto Road, Gorham NH. Thursday was the last day. So, a nearly empty schedule, 75 degree's and sunny, a bike looking to ride, and a bike only ride up the mountain. I'm in. 6:30AM alarm and on the road by 7:00AM.

Mt Washington Auto Road is about 7 miles in length and takes you about 5,000 feet into the sky (starting at 1200 and get up to ~ 6200) on a road with awesome views.

So, breakfast at a local joint along the way, then onto the road. Got there at 11:00AM and already about 300 bikes waiting to pay the fee to ride the road .

Passed through the toll gate ($17) and pulled over to prepare for the 48 degree's and wind at the top. Zippered in the liner for my jacket, changed to winter gloves and threw on an extra t-shirt. Time to ride north. Joined a conga line of bikes and started up. First 1000 feet up and no real difference in weather. Getting to 2000 feet (really 3300 sinc the start is about 1200) and the weather started to change and many of the guys in t-shirts only were pulling over to add layers.

About another 1000 feet up and you are out of the tree's and riding on a road with no guard rails, but awesome views. As a rookie rider I realized the importance of looking where you plan to ride. My focus 95% of the time was on the road ahead and not on the views along the trail. People riding 2 up, it was fun noting most of the passengers were busy looking sideways and taking lots of pictures of the mountains.

Another 1000 miles up and the road turns to dirt. OK, not loose dirt, but packed well and to be honest, I wanted to push it with my bike, but the traffic slowed and I needed to keep pace.

The final 1000 and made it to the top. The temperature registered @ 47 degrees and 20 mph winds. When I left the start it was 78 degrees. Glad I brought layers.

There were 4 parking areas' and they were all packed (silver GS is me)

And to show my family I reached the top

So a bottle of chocolate milk and peanut butter crackers and I'm ready to head back down.

As I was leaving the top, saw a group of GS & RS riders from Quebec. Followed them down and was amazed that most of the rode down standing up, many had helmet cams, and all but 1 rode 1 up. Compared that to the bulk of the riders going 2.

So, a rookie adventure up a mountain and down. But had one conference call to do. So, headed to Wolfboro and grabbed a bench on the docks at lake winnipesaukee, dialed into my conference call and enjoyed the view - . NH is a beautiful place anytime of the year.
Pilot_Boz and Southpaw like this.

2013 R1200GS LC

Last edited by TBone; 20-Jun-2016 at 09:16 AM (594). Reason: Fix image links.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 17-Jun-2016, 10:29 PM (145)

Location: Livin' in a Poor Man's Shangri, La. aka New Orleans
no pix came through for me
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 18-Jun-2016, 02:11 PM (799)
GS (and DR)

I fixed the image links. Tbone, if the link you past doesn't end in .jpg or some other image format you grabbed the wrong link. An easy way to get proper links from smugmug is to right click on the image use the Copy Image Address option or whatever it is called on your browser. That gives you a link to the image, not a link to the page that contains the image.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 20-Jun-2016, 09:08 AM (589) Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by marc View Post
I fixed the image links. Tbone, if the link you past doesn't end in .jpg or some other image format you grabbed the wrong link. An easy way to get proper links from smugmug is to right click on the image use the Copy Image Address option or whatever it is called on your browser. That gives you a link to the image, not a link to the page that contains the image.
Marc, thanks to you and Doc for helping a rookie. Think I got it and hope to share some forum worthy pics.

2013 R1200GS LC
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 20-Jun-2016, 05:41 PM (945)

Location: Livin' in a Poor Man's Shangri, La. aka New Orleans
great, look forward to it.
Not enough pix from your part of the country
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW R1200GS Forum : R1200 GS Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode