Travels with L'il Red: Canes to Grains Aug_2016 - Page 2 - BMW R1200GS Forum : R1200 GS Forums
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-Oct-2016, 10:19 AM (638) Thread Starter

Location: Livin' in a Poor Man's Shangri, La. aka New Orleans
This is the view from the statue of the three depicted above.

The Missouri is ultimately a BIG river. It joins the Mississippi at St Louis;

That's a lot of river. We were up from the source a bit, and right near where the Marias River joins it; in other words Ft Benton is downriver from the source of the Missouri and upriver from the confluence of the Marias and the Missouri. The Marias is probably actually Maria's River since it was named after Lewis's cousin, Maria Wood. Apostrophes often get no respect.

Anyway, my Big Sky friend had booked a boat for us to travel down the Missouri to as far as Judith Landing, about 47 miles.

During the planning stages of this ride I investigated riding alongside the Missouri and seeing the Breaks by motorcycle. There is little out there on the feasibility of actually doing this.

Let me say that at least at this stage of the river, it is impossible to do, even if you were on a small dirt bike. It is most impossible on a 1200gs. There is no road along the river. There is no track, foot or otherwise along the river. In fact, from what I saw, pictures coming shortly, even if a ride were undertaken along the tops of the Breaks along the river, a rider would not see the river or its meandering. They would just be too far away from it at this point in the Missouri's travel.

It was suggested that the best way to see the Breaks is by boat. That is fact, I can report.

My original, ie Not Boat, plan was to ride to Judith Landing, cross the river and then on to Big Sandy. Doing so I would have not at all seen the Missouri-except at the bridge, and been far from the Breaks.

Judith Landing and its bridge across the Missouri

I would have come from Winfred destined for Big Sandy...

70 miles of dusty gravel washboard with little to no views, certainly none of the river

So the way to visit the Missouri Breaks, in this part of the Breaks is by boat.

There are "issues" by boat though. If you go non-motorized, you're going very slow, so unless you have a lot of time and plan on camping on a multiday trip, you will not see much of the Breaks.
If you go by motorboat, know that is the politically INcorrect way of going. Locals and environmentalists have strong regs on powered travel, mostly because of noise. So, in the "scenic" part of the river, which is defined, there is a strict "leave no wake" policy. Word is that after Sept 15, motorized travel can go faster...So, what does all the really translate to?

In my opinionated view:
The Breaks are beautiful in a badlands kind of way and very rugged.
I would prefer to see more rather than less. Camping and time constraints, mean I would recommend the trip by motorboat.
However, that 47 miles to Judith Landing takes ALL DAY, from dawn to near dusk, late August time. And the sun can be VERY hot and brutal.
Everyone on our boat felt the trip was more expensive than it was worth, and we would've been satisfied with not going the full 47 miles---but, that was not possible as there were no stops before Judith Landing, unless you do an out-and-back trip--if that's possible, I don't know.

That said, the Breaks are pretty cool and I am glad I saw them, despite the length and the sun.
We were picked up before dawn in Ft Benton.

as dawn breaks rosy blushed Aurora lends her grace to the Montana sky

We depart from Coal Banks Landing. Not our boat, but a boat taking campers somewhere. Not a lot of traffic on the river.

and along the Missouri

The "white cliffs" section

no foot trails along the banks, though occasionally there were ranches up top, but, again, no roads along the river.

the site police are knock, knock knocking at my back door for too many images--continued below
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-Oct-2016, 10:20 AM (639) Thread Starter

continued from above

The cliffs are composed of "eagle sandstone," and permeated by igneous intrusions, as our guide said, "magma from the center of the Earth," that formed formations called dykes and sills, huge walls of igneous rock that in times in the far past had actually crossed the current river bed. They were ultimately breached by flowing glaciers.

What we were calling a young bald eagle standing guard

And the "archangel" formation

When the day was done, so were we, and Ft Benton offered some respite from the sun and the dust.

Tomorrow we turn left out of the Pioneer Lodge and head even farther north...
post #13 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-Oct-2016, 11:24 AM (683) Thread Starter

And so, we head north...to two milepost roads of North America that only permit travel a short time of the year, the rest stymied by the amblings of Jack Frost.

First 87, then left on US 2
from wiki...
it is the northernmost east–west U.S. Route in the country. It is the lowest primary-numbered east–west U.S. Route, whose numbers otherwise end in zero, and was so numbered to avoid a US 0.

I am sure there are many forum wags who have their own US Zeros, mine being I 10 from Houston east. Horrible road.

It, US 2, is also a designated bike route and in Cut Bank, we ran into a group of girls who were riding it, coming from the Maine end of the road. They said many times they wished they had motorcycles, ironic, because we never wished we were on bikes. They were thin and sinewy, in spandex, and chocolat-hawking maillots.

US 2 was a road that had a atmosphere. It puts BIG SKY in the Big Sky state. On the edge of the country, clothed in grain, it could be called boring by some, but majestic by others. It's horizons are unlikely to be defeated.

The trains alongside were road art. Each one sported cars festooned with graffiti. Much of it very good. In some railyard, Chicago? Santa Fe? Ft Wayne? Boston? some kid with a spray can tags a car, often multiple cars with nonsense "words" that mean nothing other than he can do that collection of letters well, thus we meet J-U-D-D-A, and M-O-S-E, and P-I-K-A, and
D-O-P-E-Y and I like to think beyond the "man's" view that it is simple defacement, but allows the spray can outlaw a means to travel beyond the mundane dangerous world of a horrible schoolAway from a place where the best advice given is "run away from the gunfire" and travel to the edge of Montana. Admittedly, I may be giving them too much credit, or maybe not, but riding this type of road allows the mind to wander, to daydream, or as cynics may say, petit mal.

Cut Bank, Montana...
In New Orleans there was a weatherman on TV, he made the rounds, plying his trade at the local affiliates of NBC and CBS and ABC--this was pre FOX News. He had something like a big grease board weather map, a few of them actually, one of the US, one of Louisiana, one of the Gulf of Mexico. He used them all, marking them with his grease board marker. He actually drew, by hand, his own cold fronts and high pressure systems. Nash Roberts. He was the quintessential New Orleans Weather Guy. Mr Hurricane. He knew his stuff without the hyperbole of today's "meteorologists."

Nash Roberts

and young Nash

There were some who said that even after his death, there was a Nash mannikin, a la Disney-esque, that was rolled out when a storm threatened. Some people would only believe Nash, extant or not.

Cut Bank, Montana...
Nash, on every broadcast, would give the temperature extremes in the lower 48. Death Valley usually took the high temp honors, but, if it wasn't International Falls, it was often Cut Bank, Montana that won the coldest spot.

We were right there, and although not a milepost on this ride, it most certainly deserved a stop!

The abbreviation "bbl" has a murky history, but the top contender is that "BL" refers to a single barrel, while "BBL" refers to "barrelS." It's a plural abbreviation.
I don't know if Cut Bank is the Gateway to Glacier, but it's not that far. Oh, and this is Blackfoot country. The Blackfoot were pretty Bad A$$, read about them.

post #14 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-Oct-2016, 11:28 AM (686) Thread Starter

The road into Glacier is winding and presents elevation changes, and is fun, but you really can't see what the draw is for Glacier until you get to the thrird milepost of this ride: the Going To The Sun Highway.

from wiki...
The road is named after Going-to-the-Sun Mountain which dominates the eastbound view beyond Logan Pass. One Native American legend concerns the deity Sour Spirit who came down from the sun to teach the Blackfeet the basics of hunting. While returning to the sun, an image of Sour Spirit was placed on the mountain as an inspiration for the Blackfeet.

Going To The Sun mountain

Kind of looks like generic western mountain, right? But, the other views along "The Sun Road," will turn your head, make you stop.

The Sun Road puts the Spec in Spectacular. The best view is from Logan Pass, but that is a no stopping area, unless you can find a place to park, and that was impossible on this date, but the view from there is even more expansive. During the snow season, which is most of the year, snow at the pass can reach an 80 foot depth. By this late August it was gone, though we could tell it was not far away.
rsmith likes this.
post #15 of 22 (permalink) Old 14-Oct-2016, 08:49 AM (575) Thread Starter

We ride on another couple of hours. We were advised that we should ride down Mt56 and 200 from the Greater Libby Metropolitan Area down to Lolo. We stayed in Libby after leaving Glacier, about 2 hours away and stayed at the Basket Of Deplorables Motel there.
It seems often that I am staying at places that cater to transient workers, but this is nothing more than an observation. Maybe they have the same great taste in places to stay, maybe they have the same budget. Whatever...but for those thinking about the where-am-I-going-to-stay on such a trip, my experience is that the worker clientele is maybe a good sign that the place is comfortable and cheap(er) than the parking lots filled with Lexi and Buicks. I have never encountered bedbugs, though admittedly have encountered, twice, odors in the room that made me go to the desk and move to another room. I digress.

Leaving early the next morning we head down from Libby to Missoula and Big Sky Motosports for new front shoes on both bikes. As mentioned, we travel 56 and 200 down. Our Missouri River guide told us, with a well-disguised sneer that Missoula was on the "liberal" side of the state. Everything else, I suppose was "God's Country" except of course for the people who want to restore the free ranging of bison in what was their natural habitats. That meant NO fences to hinder their wanderings, from the plains of Kansas and Nebraska up into Canada.
"Does that mean they could just walk across I 90?"
Yep.
"You're kidding!"
Nope.
That would be the American Prairie Reserve peeps.
https://www.americanprairie.org/proj...on-restoration
Missoula is that side of the state, the side that knows what is best for the other side, since it's likely that "where the buffalo roam" does not include Missoula or the mountain/ski areas.

After a while heading south we encounter smoke from local fires, enough of a respiratory irritation that I think about the bronchodilator inhaler I carry for "just in case" moments.

The other spray I carried

In the "Bears" thread mentioned earlier in this report, there were many suggestions how people carried theirs in grizzly country. I found this to be the cheapest and most accessible way. Didn't have to use it, and we saw actually little wildlife on this ride

The culprits...

When it would clear these are the scenes that awaited

There are many sights to see in Montana, but one, for me at least, was noticeably unique to the Big Sky State. The highway death marker.

These markers signifying where a fellow traveler on the mortal coil met their maker were all over, so much so that when I told Darryl I wanted to stop to get a picture of one, we both remarked how plentiful they were.
From the Fallon County Times...
They are obscure reminders in Big Sky Country, white crosses alongside Montana roads and highways warning motorists to be careful. A single cross will sometimes be the only one on a vast stretch of road, but on others they can appear almost every mile. They stand clean and bright or rusty and faded, often bearing flowers or other decorations...
The Fatality Marker Safety Program (previously named the White Cross Program) began in Missoula after six motorists died in local traffic accidents during the 1952 Labor Day weekend. The program was the idea of Hellgate Post No. 27’s Floyd Eaheart...
Legion Posts throughout the state adopted the program after the Montana Highway Commission approved the program in January 1953. Since the Fatality Marker Safety Program’s start over 60 years, it is estimated over 2,000 white crosses have been placed along Montana’s highways. This represents a cemetery of over five acres.

They appeared singly most often, but sometimes in clumps of 2 or 3 or 6. We remarked how plentiful they were...wait I think I said that already, did I say that above? They were plentiful. No names were there, no decorations, just the bare cross.
In our politically correct era, how long before the crosses will be replaced by something religiously neutral , or a Wiccan or crescent or something not so offensive to a certain crowd?

Big Sky attends to our tire needs and we are now off to the last- we thought- milepost on this ride...heading to Lolo.

we spend the night at Lolo Hot Springs Lodge, and soak in the 103 degree indoor pool, while drinking, me Green Spot Irish Whiskey, Darryl some vodka plus. We vasodilate and soak. Ahhhh.

Fully relaxed we chill a bit in the lodge, while Darryl wears one of his two demonic faces, small children scattering, the resident Golden Retreiver cowering and me continuing to sip the Green Spot

and head over to "dinner" at The Lolo Hot Springs Bar and Restaurant. And interesting, sorta, place. the only restaurant/food source in town. In fact, it was half of the town, the other half the Lodge.

It was almost colorful in an old west kind of way.

WOW! someone got a Royal Flush! Why waste my time on the claw machine when ...

What was colorful about it was the music playing. Almost all hip hop including one cut i just HAD to investigate.
It was "Fish Paste" "by" Die Antwoord...a really catchy tune, but did I just... hear that? whaaa? say huhhhh? Oh, yeah, in da moooooo/MENT! yeah, oh what is that????
some of the lyrics--and I am fully trusting the software on this forum to handle everything inappropriate--I want to see whaaaa's lef'

Quote:
Jou ma se poes in 'n fishpaste jar
(D.D.J-J-J)
(Hi-hi-hi Tek)
Oh oh vat's it yuketa ?
Yo-Landi Vi$$er fresh ? and depressed ? vat 'n picture
Do what I like cos I roll with the f****n Ninja
I am a ******' coloreds cos I am a fuckin' colored
If I want to be a colored (Hosss)
My inner ******' colored just wants to be discovered
You vokken naai skinner aan ?
Elke vokken poes is pienk aan die binnekant.
Zed to E to the m****rf***en F
? like a vokken zef zef zef
**** this poes in the skinny jeans
Yo maar jy's dandy ?
Soos the vokken kak jol by Assembly
Why do I call myself the Ninja?
Because my style is so m*****f****n nasty (Is ja!)
Nothing you can so or do can harm me
Ek's kak vokken kom ? en jy's a flou vokken laanie
**** with Die Antwoord you **** with the army
My fans are my bergie.
When they bite they only go with a skraal sterfies
Ask Kyle Safie ? (Kyle's momma is a big fat bi**h)
Yes, that was playing in the restaurant. what would your mother say? huh? And after testing with preview post, turns out the word police could easily miss things that are spelled phonetically or use an apostrophe instead of a "g" as well as others...it was jus' f****n' obscenity overload.
Ha!
This was by far the most inappropriate dining music I have ever heard, but want to fully admit a very catchy tune. If you like that new Beck song, "Wow,' you should check it out. As well as Metis' All In feat Anzil Jones--OK totally off topic, but just remembering the "ambience" brought me back.

The next am we do the Lolo. Lolo Pass. We meet others getting ready. There is a webcam of a couple of points on Lolo. It almost always has snow visible, but on this late August morn, snow, up high but not on the down low.

continued next after image jail
post #16 of 22 (permalink) Old 14-Oct-2016, 08:50 AM (576) Thread Starter

continued from above

I ask a rider about the iconic sign that everyone photographs. They just tell me there are signs all over. Not a good answer. the iconic sign is just out of Lolo Hot Springs going west bound. If you miss it there is no other heading west. Turn around if you want it. Can't speak to the eastbound routes. Lolo is a pretty ride and a fun ride, but is it All That? Hmmm, can't say. We were told that the speed limit was 35 the whole way, that there were LEOs all over, all that was wrong on this weekday morning in late August. We could do what we wanted and saw no LEOs. Although it is a road that, for the experienced, would tempt a rider to go fast, for the first (and only) time rider, the speed limit is just fine whatever it is, and I think it was mostly 55?

The sign--with a Revzilla? sticker

and into Kooskia

This was the end of the milepost rides of this meandering and now we are on our way back home. Certainly some good riding to come, but all boxes have been ticked. It was not that we were pushing to get here, get there, uh-uh, move on, but the way things worked out the only thing we were not able to do was Union Pass, and the alternatives were just as attractive if not more...time will tell and Union Pass awaits another time.

But we are now officially on our way home, so when people ask us along the way where we are headed, the answer is "home."

More coming. We are far from home.
post #17 of 22 (permalink) Old 19-Oct-2016, 11:32 AM (689) Thread Starter

Departing Kooskia we officially on the way home, after a pretty **** magnificent ride. All rides could have been better, I suppose, but all rides have their own memories.
We descend south in the Salmon River Valley and unbeknownst to me, Darryl plots his next move

Riding solo is a different experience on many levels. When solo, you are IT, you have to be responsible for everything from repairs to safety to the alone. Everyone who rides solo has had the questions, some variant of: Don't you get lonely? Repeat solo riders know the answer: I'm alone, but not lonely. I have a neighbor who does get lonely on rides--see the preface--so he likes to ride with a group. At work, which I really like, I am surrounded by people and noise and visual stimulation and sometimes worry, sometimes dread, sometimes, often, satisfaction, but always questions, explanations, conversations and waiting.
A solo ride allows the rider to concentrate on something as specific as upcoming tar snakes and gravel and weather, or as generic as cloud shapes, or breathtaking scenery. You are with your own thoughts and if you are your own best friend, then a long solo ride is rejuvenating in a way that nothing else comes close.

So, it was a real decision whether to ride with someone on this trip.
The other night, with our wives, Darryl and I went out to dinner. We talked of the ride. He said something, quoting me. Sometimes when you hear your words come back at you they can sound far different than when you said them. He knows how I feel about solo rides and often said he didn't want to threaten that. He reminded me that I said, riding with him was "like riding with no one." He said he had to think about that a moment.
Was that an insult?

He then realized that, considering the source, it was actually a compliment. It is not riding alone, but it's close. Our riding styles are that similar, we both stop to smell the asters, we both take pictures, we both ride fast or slow, but not so much so as to lessen the ride. We can be out of each other's sight and not fret. Neither of us micro-manage and we can follow each other's lead.

All of that is important. It's kind of like riding with a pillion. They need to ride like they're riding with no hands, they cannot try to steer. That's what you want with a riding partner. Only one person can steer at a time. We didn't have to take turns steering. It wasn't a non-issue, it was a good thing.

So, we are heading home.

Along the Salmon River, Idaho.

Hard Tea a la "Vargas"

Sunset in Mountain Home, Idaho

What we didn't know when we took this picture was tomorrow was to be the prettiest riding day of the trip. Not for weather, but for the terrain. We were heading into some great stuff. The ride was from Mountain Home, Id to Beaver, Utah. It crossed the Great Basin National Park. But, before it got there it went through south central Idaho and then meandering through north east Nevada.

I have always loved riding Nevada. I say so in every report. It is, and remains an undiscovered gem--though many have discovered it. It is remote and looks remote. It is otherworldly and looks otherworldly. I have not ridden Nevada dirt, but I have trouble thinking that the views from out-of-the-way dirt Nevada can surpass the Nevada that lies in-the-way and paved. It's riding that sticks to your ribs. Yes, there are horizon to horizon ribbons of dark asphalt, but they are often broken up with sweepers and twisties as an unmarked range is crossed, rewarding the unsuspecting with a view to write home about.

It probably has the rap that even considering riding across Nevada should be met by Paul Muni's expression in the last scene from I am a Fugitive from a Chain Gang (1932)

Someone will say, Shhhhhhh, but it is so remote for most of us that those roads will be the same for our lifetimes. Ok, forget I said anything. Stay in ... wherever. You didn't heart it from me...nothing happening here...move along

ID 51 south of Mountain Home

and entering Nevada we happen upon a road,

with road candy,

that winds and winds through hills, up to the side of the road with no shoulder, I don't know where, but there were hand-painted signs that read simply;

COWS

Respect those signs. Cows would run along side of us and also, pop, Disney-esque out of the waist high brush. The speed limit was 35 and that seemed fair. A great road!.

And we rolled on, being the only bipeds within a very large area. We were definitely enjoying that which accompanies opposable thumbs.

more coming
post #18 of 22 (permalink) Old 19-Oct-2016, 11:37 AM (692) Thread Starter

continued

We were out of each other's sight, contemplating the singularity that included us and this --thanks, Erin

and only us and that. The 93 million mile away star was getting hotter, but not by much; feeling as small as an ant, or as large as a thought. mark this area, it needs a return visit someday.

We take a right and bear alongside of the East Humboldt range

And I lie in wait for Darryl to quickly pass

It was a spectacular landscape, one which we had not seen before. Stark, hostile, beautiful. There were many "Holy $heet!!" moments. Although we were riding separately, there were some spots that demanded a stop, to exclaim ! We would find ourselves stopped together for a few, until one rode on, only to stop together again. Words fail to describe the landscape.

This was ancient stuff. It was a bit similar to places in New Mexico, but older it seemed. More Alone. This is a place where the wind has no name, a place where spirits could dwell in silence and never encounter another except maybe on the horizon. This was Away.

In Beaver (literally and figuratively), Utah for the evening. I have my best meal of the trip, coincidentally with the worst service, at the Timberline Inn Restaurant---"Delicious American Cuisine with a Pinch of Flair."
The cuisine was pork chops, juicy and done perfectly. I guess the "flair" was the lousy service. Still, if you find yourself in Beaver, you could do worse.

This was our last evening together. Darryl had to be back earlier than I, so we parted ways in Beaver. He headed south through New Mexico, I headed east to Colorado.

Darryl departing just after dawn
post #19 of 22 (permalink) Old 19-Oct-2016, 02:27 PM (810) Thread Starter

To be clear, we did not ride I 70 together, but it was most expedient and as of today, efficiency counted.
I hit Moab in it's last fling of summer's visitors. Moab is a town that does not wear summer well...way too congested and crowded; if you're considering, wait a month. There's beauty in them hills, but at this point I had not the time. And I was just there the previous fall, the ride that led me to the current GS, L'il Red. But I knew I wanted to do Paradox Valley, and get to Gunnison for the evening. That's a far piece.

Paradox Valley, near Bedrock, Co--surprisingly no Flintstones memorabilia in sight, that was where Fred and Barney's cribs were, right?

I turn left onto Co 141 outside of Naturita, and wind up with the thrill ride of the trip. Those familiar with 141, okay, you may not be...141 is mostly a canyon road. It's gorgeous and twisty and sweepery, with cliffs and rivers and old bridges and...

On this late summer afternoon there were also thunderstorms that were nearby. Big fat a$$ bolts of lightening, too. Vertical. OK, so I am thinking I do not want to die anytime soon and certainly not this afternoon since I already paid for my room at the Comfort Inn in Gunnison--it was Labor Day weekend so I planned ahead. I did consider though if I were hit by lightening, and if I were one of those people who are struck by lightening, yet live to tell of it, if that, would the lightening also ignite the fuel in my tank, a double whammy of sorts. Or, would it just vaporize it? I realized I probably wouldn't care unless I lived to tell, then what a story, huh?. I did not put lightening into the equation, but I figured I was deep enough in the canyon, that there would be far easier things to consume with supra-solar energy than me. Anyway, I wasn't stopping for it either.

Hey! Problem solved, or so I thought.

I also didn't put into the equation mudslides and water hazards. In truth, they really didn't take too long. They did age me more than the time they took, like they existed outside of my time.

Well, there were three:

The first one, the road was covered with the red mud of the canyon walls. No rocks, just smooth smooth mud, probably about 3-4" thick, extending over about 20 feet of road, with, icing on the cake, a metal cattle grate in the middle.

For a brief moment I considered turning around, only briefly though. I am not particularly experienced with off road, though I've done Moki a few times, and Bodie. I've also gone down in Alabama red mud. Suffice it to say this was outside of my comfort level. Still, I am riding a GS (so man up!), and there is no turning around, there was no place to head that made sense for the rest of the trip. Just f****n do it. I go to "enduro" mode, mind, body and bike.

As I go through the mud my feet are out, I feel them skating on the mud and think how slippery it is. A pedal glissando. I feel my front wheel starting to act like a rudder, in a bad way, but I correct. I am at the cattle grate, and it's raised. And metal. I give her gas, spin the rear wheel but bump over the leading edge of the grate, now the front wheel on the grate, I continue to gas, and bump across, now in the last part of the mud and exit.

I congratulate myself, the weather is clearing some and within 5 minutes I come across quickly flowing water across 141. Only one way to go: forward. The water is flowing fast enough that it has big ripples in it. I get off the bike and look to see if there is actually road underneath the water. There is, and it looks to be maybe 4-5" deep.

I cross it safely.

Starting to feel a bit smug at my road hazard competency I ride on. 5 minutes pass, it's almost sunny! And I come on the last mudslide across the road. This one has cars, the other two didn't. All the cars were backed up from the oncoming direction. Chicken$hit or wise...I cannot tell...They were all watching me. I could feel their stare. Ok, so this mudslide doesn't look as bad as the first, and there is no cattle grate, and if I go down there are people who can help me up. Two Harley riders await my progress. I can see them smiling.

I again plow through, now actually feeling more confident. I stop and chat with them, they were concerned could they do this? I told them my experience and they told me it was clear sailing up ahead. I left them to decide on their course.

I suppose, as is said, bad experience is the best teacher, and while this was bad, it could've been much worse, but I was glad for a 19" front wheel and enduro mode and the superb balance of the GS. I did think how would my former ride, an 09 r12r, have handled it. Worse I think.

So, I ride into Gunnison a while later, older and wiser, I think, and feeling a twinge of the satisfaction of stretching your limits solo. In retrospect, this was good stuff!

There have been times when I considered myself a poser on this bike and while I make no claim to be anything other than what I did last, this made me feel real. No claims to be anything more, but feeling much more in tune with what this riding thing is all about. I am a sophomore!

Gunnison to Trinidad to Somewhere-In-Texas and home, the plan gels.

Out of Gunnison in the morning I hit rain for a short time, then John Denver Rocky Mountain High kind of weather (WARNING: Do Not Assume I Am A John Denver Fan)...colorado, rocky mountain high, colorado...

Out of Gunnison I take 114, a very nice road, similar to Co 12 between Trinidad and 160, I take that too.

To get between 114 and 12 you have to take a bit of 285. I got off of it, took a left on County 5 over to Alamosa and 160 to 12--that's not important, but that's where these final few were taken.

The ever-present sunflowers

and

Trinidad was uneventful and the next morning I was in full blown haul a$$ mode, two long days from home.

I knew I was definitely in Texas when I stopped at this place outside of Amarillo.

And that about does it...some details

Bike 2016 BMW r1200GS LC
Total mileage 6250miles
no days 17
oil use: none
average mpg prob in mid 40s, hi and low mid 30s to mid 50s

Changed original front tire in Missoula at 12k + miles

Cameras
Nikon d700 w 24-70, 70-200, 16-35
Sony RX100mkII
Samsung Note 4

Best meal, Timberline Inn, Beaver, Utah close second Inzo's Italian Kitchen, Roanoke, Texas; no really bad meals this time around.
Glenfiddich 15, gone by Big Sky, and Green Spot Irish Whiskey bought in Ft Benton, Mt (the next afternoon!)

Least bang for buck motel, Comfort Inn, Red Lodge Montana.

Favorite roads, ID 51, Nv 225, US 85 out of Deadwood to Wy, Ok82 off the top of my head. Of course Chief Joseph and Beartooth. Second tier Going to the sun and Lolo.
totally surprising area Great Basin area - didn't see that one coming!

I am holding the TRAVEL section of the newspaper in some hoping to get my picture posted in their Sunday Travel section.

Thanks for coming along.

rsmith likes this.

Last edited by Dr. Strangelove; 19-Oct-2016 at 09:18 PM (096).
post #20 of 22 (permalink) Old 30-Oct-2016, 10:54 PM (162)

Another awesome adventure.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW R1200GS Forum : R1200 GS Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode