R1200GS Forum banner

Garmin Zumo 390LM issue

7K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  nicobico 
#1 ·
Hi folks!

Have been using a Garmin Zumo 390LM for almost six months without any problems.

Last week during a ride it started to shut down every few minutes. Display message said "Power source disconected. Will shut down in 15 seconds". It did seem to shut down and screen went black. But almost immedieately it turned on and the welcome screen showed up. It was necessary to tap to show the map again but the navigation resumed without intervention.

It looks like it disconects and enters the battery mode. But I am not sure.

Anyone has experienced this before?

:confused:

#3 ·
The GPS is placed in the original Garmin bracket in the handlebar. Is does conect to an unused canbus conector under the headlight, using the original Garmin Zumo wiring.

That might be a tough job finding it. It could be in the bracket conection or anywhere along the wiring, all the way to the battery... :(

No. Bike´s display is not showing any error code. That means all the conections *should* be ok. Right?

I was wondering if a master reset on the GPS might solve the issue...

#4 ·
I would look closely at the mount itself. These mounts have spring-loaded pins that press against the contacts on the case of the GPS. Sometimes, a pin or pins will stick in the down position, so that it does not make firm contact with the GPS. This causes the loss of external power. You might find a little dirt or something on the pins to clean off.

When this happened on my 350LM, I called Garmin and they sent me a new mount. They may do this for you.

#7 ·
Well...

I did contact Garmin thru local website. They have a nice tool to support the product.

They immediately isued an RMA.

Meanwhile I did contact you guys here and got the info the problem could be the contact pins. Got home and applied some pressure on the mount pins using only the fingernail.

Next day I mounted the GPS on it and went for a ride. Just for the sake of it, loaded the device with POIs, routes and other stuff from Mapquest. After four hours of fun on and off road nothing wrong happened with the Zumo 390.

So I assumed the pins might (probably) got stuck with some dirt and got back to work when I pressured them.

I did ask Garmin to send a new cable only. But they said "this aproach is not listed on their book, so I had to send them all the stuff (GPS, cables and mount) so they could check it). IMHO it´s not worth the trouble disassembling a neatly mounted GPS and cables. So I will took the chances. It still has three additional months on warranty. So I hope I do not need to contact tem again.

Thanks for the help folks!

Cheers!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.