Update or not - BMW R1200GS Forum : R1200 GS Forums
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 30-Dec-2017, 03:39 PM (902) Thread Starter

Garage
Update or not

I just purchased a used 2015 R1200GS with every option, a bunch of Touratech add-ons and Touratech boxes. It has all the options I would add my self and everyone option available from BMW, including shift assist pro. The bike only has $8k miles. The previous owner was a seasoned GS owner and this was his second or third. He rode the bike on and off-road but all in all the bike is in excellent shape. I was able to get it at essentially less than wholesale. See photo below.

While visiting the dealer today, they have 2017s on a special deal with special zero percent interest rate until this Tuesday. So the question is, do I trade the bike and update to a new 17 with full warranty and 0% interest and add on the stuff I want or do I keep the 2015 that is already decked out?

North Carolina based
2017 R1200 GS Adventure
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 30-Dec-2017, 03:50 PM (910)

Location: Livin' in a Poor Man's Shangri, La. aka New Orleans
If $$$ are not the issue, and you like the 2017, take the stuff you want from the 15 and put it on your new 17. Those items are not likely to add much, if anything, to your trade in value.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 30-Dec-2017, 04:16 PM (928)
Naviator

Garage
When it comes time for me to go get a new GS I'm not even going to ask my wife what I should do let alone a forum of guys I don't know.
With that said:
I sure as hell hope that got rid of that old 2015 and picked up a new one.
jaxon likes this.

2013 R1200GSW

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 30-Dec-2017, 05:51 PM (994)

Depends

How much are they giving you on the 2015? Having worked in MC sales I'm betting not much!
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 30-Dec-2017, 06:03 PM (002) Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwbob51 View Post
How much are they giving you on the 2015? Having worked in MC sales I'm betting not much!
Actually, they are giving me exactly what I paid for it and discounting the 2017 also. But I did get a pretty good deal on the bike to begin with.

North Carolina based
2017 R1200 GS Adventure
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 30-Dec-2017, 10:10 PM (174)

Upgrade!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dadawada View Post
Actually, they are giving me exactly what I paid for it and discounting the 2017 also. But I did get a pretty good deal on the bike to begin with.
Why hesitate! Except what about all the upgrades? Can you keep them and put it on the new bike? Or dealer wants upgrades at trade in price and you'd have to buy $2000 in upgrades?

Last edited by bmwbob51; 30-Dec-2017 at 10:13 PM (176).
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 31-Dec-2017, 05:44 AM (489)

I think a bit more information would be needed;

Do you own the 2015 outright or is it financed?
What options above the "Premium" does the 2015 have?
What Touratech or aftermarket items are on the 2015?
Is the 2017 a Premium?
Is money a factor?

When I went to buy my 2017 GSA; I had the option of buying a used 2016 GSA Premium with 6k miles on it with some aftermarket options or buy a new 2017 with some incentives; 0% financing, $1k off, Nav VI, and lifetime oil changes. With the used GSA, I took into account the finance rate over the life of the loan as well as warranty remaining. The used GSA while it had some aftermarket items, they weren't necessarily the items I'd add to my GSA. It didn't have panniers or top case, nor the Nav unit. While there was still a decent difference in cost between new and used, money was not a huge object so I opted for the new...
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 31-Dec-2017, 06:41 AM (528)

IMHO, new is almost always better than new, warranty, "I KNOW how it's been treated", etc. That being said, this summer I bought a "used" '16 GS Low with 1,300 miles on it. I didn't have many extras on it (SW Mototech engine guards is all) but it was $5,000 less than the new one I went to put a deposit on. I was going to have to finance about $5,000 on the new one and the incentives had not yet been announced. Even with the incentives, I don't think it would have made a difference to have a free and clear title when I rode away from the dealer. I didn't spend anymore on "extras" than I would have anyway, as I had bought most of them over the summer anticipating buying a new GS.

So, every situation is different. To me, the deciding factor was NO monthly payment and clear title.

YMMV

Cliff
Lincoln County, NC, USA
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 31-Dec-2017, 07:28 AM (561) Thread Starter

Garage
I have a bit of an odd situation. I had the cash so I borrowed against it so I could own the bike outright but still keep the cash. I'm being dinged a bit on a low interest rate from my credit union but I get to keep my cash earning accounts. The bad thing is the cash is sequestered meaning I can't move it or do anything else with it.

Now comes along 0% interest and I can buy the bike and color I really want without anyone else breaking it in. But I have to deal with the options. The guy that owned the bike had owned GSs before and knew what he was doing. The bike is a Premium with every available option plus he added shift assist pro and a bunch of Touratech stuff like the boxes, a bunch of part covers (head, lights, radiator, etc.). The bike was setup really nice. He says he has a total of about $30k plus in the bike. But he is an off-road enthusiast and the bike was taken off-road a couple of times (there are small scratches on the crash bars and the right side fog light). Otherwise the bike is pristine and it runs and rides great.

The dealer says he will work with me on the boxes, but either way I'm coming out of pocket on that if I want to have boxes which I do. The other options, though tastefully done and what I would do are not as important to me right now.

So I'm leaning towards trading. But before I did I wanted a sanity check from the group that knows a lot more about these bikes than I do. For example, some bike model years I've owned in the past were more desirable than a new model or some new models were wrought with problems and people stayed away.

I'll try and get some better photos today.

North Carolina based
2017 R1200 GS Adventure
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 31-Dec-2017, 08:01 AM (584)
Naviator

Garage
So you're paying interest on a bike loan that you have to secure with your own funds that are probably earning next to nothing sitting there and you can get a new bike for 0% APR and free up those funds?
On top of that the 2015 you own is slightly beat up and out or close to being out of factory warranty?
I would also much prefer to buy a bike from a seasoned GS maintainer than a seasoned GS owner/rider.

If it were me I would jump on the 2017 purchase so you can get rid of that ugly green GSA.

2013 R1200GSW
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW R1200GS Forum : R1200 GS Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode