The WunderLINQ, upgrade your Navigation system - BMW R1200GS Forum : R1200 GS Forums
 13Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 34 (permalink) Old 25-Jul-2018, 07:50 AM (534) Thread Starter

The WunderLINQ, upgrade your Navigation system

PRE-ORDER NOW LIVE!

The WunderLINQ by Black Box Embedded

Hi, my name is Keith Conger, co-owner of Black Box Embedded. My business partner, Wayne Black and I just launched a Kickstarter campaign introducing our new BMW motorcycle accessory called WunderLINQ. WunderLINQ is a plug and play system that gives the rider full control of their smartphone via BMW’s multi-controller. Control of a smartphones navigation, media and communication functions all while riding without the rider removing their hands from the handlebars. WunderLINQ provides the rider with substantially greater functionality over the OEM navigation system at a significantly lower cost.

WunderLINQs major features include:
  • BMW multi-controller ‘Wonder Wheel’ to control your smartphone
  • Companion WunderLINQ smartphone app to efficiently manage key smartphone features while riding;
  • User selected navigation
  • Trip and waypoint logging
  • User selected media/music control
  • BMW motorcycle running data with optional data logging
  • BMW fault decoding with audible/visual alerts (Over 35)
  • Video/Photo Recording, use your phone as an action cam
  • Physical smartphone mounting to BMW GPS prep, propriety magnet or RAM
  • 5W smartphone charger

If anyone is in the Colorado Springs or Bay area and would like an in-person demo, PM me

Recording of the Live Demo and QA from 8/4/2018

The Kickstarter WunderLINQ release has been overwhelmingly positive! We have received many requests from those interested in the WLQ but missed the Kickstarter campaign. Black Box Embedded LLC is offering a pre-order discount to those who missed the Kickstarter promotion. Don’t miss your chance to own the coolest tech for your BMW at a great price, PRE-ORDER HERE.
GrayBeard, JetSpeed and helo_pilot like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by regnock; 23-Jan-2019 at 03:31 PM (897).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 34 (permalink) Old 25-Jul-2018, 08:22 AM (557)
Naviator

Garage
This looks like a winner, to date probably the single most useful device that I've seen come out for these bikes (integrating your phone to the bike).
Funny that me and friend were talking yesterday about how much better/clearer our phone screens were to see (except in bright sunlight) and how much easier it was to view things like Google Maps on the phone than on our Nav-VI's, the drawback being primarily that the the phones (Galaxy S9) touchscreen is not glove friendly, this device solves that.

One thing that I primarily use and have displayed 75% of the time is the Motorcycle Data page, on the Nav-VI you can have up 16 items, on this app it only shows 8, I am wondering if that can be expanded upon?

It would also be nice to know how various phones screens perform in bright sunlight, I know that my phone works very well except in bright sunlight in which case it's almost unusable, my dark tinted face-shield also has a pretty negative effect.

2013 R1200GSW

Last edited by JetSpeed; 25-Jul-2018 at 09:41 AM (612).
post #3 of 34 (permalink) Old 25-Jul-2018, 08:34 AM (565) Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetSpeed View Post
This looks like a winner, to date probably the single most useful device that I've seen come out for these bikes (integrating your phone to the bike).
Funny that me and friend were talking yesterday about how much better/clearer our phone screens were to see (except in bright sunlight) and how much easier it was to view things like Google Maps on the phone than on our Nav-VI's, the drawback being primarily that the the phones (Galaxy S9) touchscreen is not glove friendly, this device solves that.

One thing that I primarily use and have displayed 75% of the time is the Motorcycle Data page, on the Nav-VI you can have up 16 items, on this app it only shows 8, I am wondering if that can be expanded upon?

It would also be nice to know how various phones screens perform in bright sunlight, I know that my phone works very well except in bright sunlight in which case it almost unusable, my dark tinted face-shield also has a pretty negative effect.
Hi,

We do plan on adding grid customization to the Motorcycle Data display and dashboard mode.

There are some phones now that have sunlight readable displays, for others I recommend a matte screen protector. We are looking into designing a universal sun shade too.
JetSpeed likes this.

post #4 of 34 (permalink) Old 25-Jul-2018, 03:56 PM (872)

Location: Livin' in a Poor Man's Shangri, La. aka New Orleans
Thank goodness someone is attempting to produce a "smart" alternative to the garmin user hostile Hobson's Choice!

some questions please, fully realizing it's a work in progress.

Will the phone be dependent on cellular access or will it redraw maps from the phone's gps antenna? In your video it doesn't look like there'd be cellular coverage there.

Will user configurability allow a configuration with a big "box" for digital readout of speedo and multiple smaller boxes for bike data?

Will all available bike data be available for display, eg, range, voltage output, miles to next service, etc?

Will there be more than one screen of user config data available to show different collections of parameters?

How does your "black box" device "talk" to the bike? Wired? LIN-BUS? Bluetooth?

How will this play with a Sena, Cardo headsets? Bluetooth via the phone or some other way?

At your convenience and thanks for the work!!

John
post #5 of 34 (permalink) Old 25-Jul-2018, 04:24 PM (891) Thread Starter

Hi,

See my answers in RED, let me know if you have any more.

Thanks for your support!

Keith
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Strangelove View Post
Thank goodness someone is attempting to produce a "smart" alternative to the garmin user hostile Hobson's Choice!

some questions please, fully realizing it's a work in progress.

Will the phone be dependent on cellular access or will it redraw maps from the phone's gps antenna? In your video it doesn't look like there'd be cellular coverage there.

This is dependant on the Navigation software you choose to run on the phone, but most even google maps will work without a cellular connection.

Will user configurability allow a configuration with a big "box" for digital readout of speedo and multiple smaller boxes for bike data?

Grid configuration is planned after the initial release along with Dash mode to mimic the TFT on newer bikes.

Will all available bike data be available for display, eg, range, voltage output, miles to next service, etc?

Yes and logged. We also have decoded 30+ faults

Will there be more than one screen of user config data available to show different collections of parameters?

Hmm, this hasn't been suggested by any of our testers. I'm going to add that to bug/enhancement tracker.

How does your "black box" device "talk" to the bike? Wired? LIN-BUS? Bluetooth?

It talks the same way as the OEM Nav, through the cradle pins. We use BLE to communicate with your smartphone. USB is strictly for power.

How will this play with a Sena, Cardo headsets? Bluetooth via the phone or some other way?

It works as it would without a WunderLINQ. I personally use a Chatterbox X1slim.

At your convenience and thanks for the work!!

John

post #6 of 34 (permalink) Old 29-Jul-2018, 07:49 PM (034) Thread Starter

If anyone is in the Colorado Springs or Bay area and would like an in-person WunderLINQ demo, PM me to set up an appointment.

post #7 of 34 (permalink) Old 30-Jul-2018, 05:54 AM (454)

It looks like you're going to have a winner here. What's the specific differences between the Commuter vs the Adventurer models of the product?

If I have a mapping app that supports tracks on my phone, can I access it from the wheel/device?

Thanks!

Wes

Current scooters:
'16 R1200GS Triple Black
'16 KTM Super Duke 1290R
'18 Yamaha WR250R
post #8 of 34 (permalink) Old 30-Jul-2018, 07:46 AM (531) Thread Starter

Hi Wes,

The only difference is that the enclosure will be anodized, machined Aluminum and will include a RAM ball mount. It's a variation we're trying to gauge interest on. We may never make more after Kickstarter if the demand isn't there.

What app are you using, and is it Android or iOS? I'll check it out. The WunderLINQ acts as a generic keyboard, so we can control a lot out of the box on Android.

Thanks for your interest, please let me know if you have any other questions.
Keith

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrayBeard View Post
It looks like you're going to have a winner here. What's the specific differences between the Commuter vs the Adventurer models of the product?

If I have a mapping app that supports tracks on my phone, can I access it from the wheel/device?

Thanks!

Wes

post #9 of 34 (permalink) Old 30-Jul-2018, 08:05 AM (545)

Quote:
Originally Posted by regnock View Post
Hi Wes,

The only difference is that the enclosure will be anodized, machined Aluminum and will include a RAM ball mount. It's a variation we're trying to gauge interest on. We may never make more after Kickstarter if the demand isn't there.

What app are you using, and is it Android or iOS? I'll check it out. The WunderLINQ acts as a generic keyboard, so we can control a lot out of the box on Android.

Thanks for your interest, please let me know if you have any other questions.
Keith
It's an iOS phone. I haven't put it to much use as a nav solution but the apps I have tried (and liked) are Earthmate (the Garmin/Inreach app, I have the Inreach Explorer as well) and an app called MapOut that supports track files.

Control just for zooming in and out on the map would just about be worth the price of admission for your product.

I'm not married to any particular app on my phone but I do quite a lot of riding off the pavement using GPX track files I've loaded into my Garmin. Having an app that permits downloaded maps and track overlays is part of my minimum requirement for ADV riding.

Have you considered a solution where I continue to use my BMW Nav device and have your device on a separate Garmin cradle on a RAM mount? Or vice versa. There's been plenty of times when I would have really liked to have both my phone and the GPS in my field of view.

Thanks again for answering the questions!

Wes

Current scooters:
'16 R1200GS Triple Black
'16 KTM Super Duke 1290R
'18 Yamaha WR250R
post #10 of 34 (permalink) Old 30-Jul-2018, 08:12 AM (550) Thread Starter

Hi Wes,

I'll try out those apps. Unfortunately, iOS keyboard support is lacking and they require developers to implement the keyboard controls, Android, on the other hand, implements it system-wide. If they don't support keyboard input, I'll try reaching out to them.

Your the second person to ask for the ability to run a Nav unit and WUnderLINQ at the same time. It's something we hadn't considered.

Keep the questions and thoughts coming, we want to be the Anti-Garmin. You know responsive and listen to user feedback.

Thanks,
Keith

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrayBeard View Post
It's an iOS phone. I haven't put it to much use as a nav solution but the apps I have tried (and liked) are Earthmate (the Garmin/Inreach app, I have the Inreach Explorer as well) and an app called MapOut that supports track files.

Control just for zooming in and out on the map would just about be worth the price of admission for your product.

I'm not married to any particular app on my phone but I do quite a lot of riding off the pavement using GPX track files I've loaded into my Garmin. Having an app that permits downloaded maps and track overlays is part of my minimum requirement for ADV riding.

Have you considered a solution where I continue to use my BMW Nav device and have your device on a separate Garmin cradle on a RAM mount? There's been plenty of times when I would have really liked to have both my phone and the GPS in my field of view.

Thanks again for answering the questions!

Wes
GrayBeard and AdventureDoc like this.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW R1200GS Forum : R1200 GS Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode