ABS failure? - BMW R1200GS Forum : R1200 GS Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 05-Jul-2007, 10:43 AM (655) Thread Starter

ABS failure?

I'm new to BMW motorcycles after four decades on English and, well, Brand X bikes. Just purchased an R1150GS of 2004 vintage. When "parking-lot riding" to get the feel, after a self-induced panic stop, the ABS system seems to simply die, meaning there are no flashing lights and the RID does not indicate the system is even on. After shutting off the ignition and restarting, the system comes back alive, i.e, the red ABS light flashes until going faster than 3 MPH and the pump whines a little, etc. Are we allowed only one panic stop per riding event? I've searched this site for applicable service bulletins but have seen nothing except for 2005 or later R1200GS bikes. Speaking of electrics, is there a simple code reader which can be used to read the fault codes in the motronic (as there is for BMW cars) or must a dealer do that? Many thanks for the assistance. Shineman
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 05-Jul-2007, 01:20 PM (764)

If I understand your question correctly, the system is behaving properly.

I have an '06 GS. The starting procedure for mine is as follows:

Turn on ignition.
Computer goes through self check, with red, then yellow indicators turning on, then off. Brake failure message blinks in red.

Start engine.
Brake failure light continues to blink.

Place in gear and begin moving.
Brake failure light blinks until you reach about 3mph, then light goes out. ABS is now enabled.

There are no indicators after startup that ABS has been enabled, however, if it fails you'll get the brake failure light. You also get it (for awhile) if you disable ABS using the appropriate button for off-pavement riding. Also, if you are holding either some front or rear brake during the start sequence, you'll get the brake failure light. I find this somewhat annoying when trying to start on a hill!
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 06-Jul-2007, 05:56 AM (456)
Kool Aide Dispenser

Like above, there is no indication of it being on once it sets itself at 3mph other than a servo whine and good brakes.

IF there is an issue the ABS light will come back on and flash at you.

If you want to test it, go back to the parking lot and do a 20mph brake test using ONLY the rear brake. You will feel the ABS kick into action. You can do this repeatedly.

The advantage to the servo-ABS system is that the servos allow very fast refresh time on the ABS unit, making it much smoother than non-servo ABS units prior to 2007 BMWs.

When activating the ABS in this manner, or any other, you will get no other indication that it is on, but it will work repeatedly without restarting the bike.

Jim

Jim
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2015 BMW R1200GS Wethead
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW R1200GS Forum : R1200 GS Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode