Who needs ABS - BMW R1200GS Forum : R1200 GS Forums
 10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 16-Jun-2014, 02:43 AM (322) Thread Starter

Who needs ABS

I have a 1200 GSA 2007 supertanker, about 9 months ago the ABS and link failed, but due to the ridiculous price BMW put on the supply of another same as the original ABS modulator with no guarantee it wont fail in 3 years. I decided I would just ride with out it.
No more having to turn off the ABS when you hit the dirt, It was good.
Yesterday on a raining wet straight road on the bitumen when overtaking a car, I saw the blinker go on to turn right.
I backed off ( speed was no more than 80Ks and not aggressive) touched the front brake with respect.
Next thing I am on the ground sliding beside the car.
The bike slid with crossed up on the crash bar, Head protector and foot peg and slid to a stop.
I slid the way Phil Crump would be proud of.
The barrel protected my leg my bum just slid slightly on the road.
Very Lucky.
Am I going to fix the ABS so it wont happen again. NO WAY Im not givig BMW another cent.
I believe there should be a class action about their ABS modulators.
Apart from that, Love the Power.
Keep riding.
Quarterday
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 19-Jun-2014, 02:18 AM (304)

Garage
Who needs ABS

Wow, glad you're okay! You may want to try Motor Sports | ModuleMaster. They have a pretty darn good reputation.

I hope this helps.

Mike

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 20-Jun-2014, 01:38 PM (776)

Good to hear you're ok! Never heard anything about the ABS modulators. Does this happen more often?

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-Dec-2015, 12:31 PM (772)

Gotta say, you must not think very much of yourself! You sound like the sort of guy who take a GREAT warning, hell you have had two warning counting the fact you knew the ABS was gone, and yet you don't think your well being is worth the money to repair the ABS?

Really?!?!

Care to share the pics of the damage resulting from the slide on the wet road? Wondering if the damage to the bike and or gear was more costly then the cost to repair the ABS.

You bought one of the best bikes on the planet, as ABS and Braking is concerned, and now your content to have accidents that could involve injuring others who aren't as dumb as the guy who refuse to repair his ABS....wow!!
schuppi and Rev. Brian like this.

2016 K1600GT Cosmic Blue
2016 R1200GSA Matt Red
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-Dec-2015, 01:31 PM (813)

Things fail and no manufacturer can guarantee that they will not.
Sounds to me like you gave a perfect reason why the ABS should have been fixed immediately at whatever the cost was. You could have died.
Surely your health is worth at least whatever the cost of repairing a safety item is.
schuppi and Rev. Brian like this.

Last edited by tonyw; 03-Dec-2015 at 03:11 AM (383).
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-Dec-2015, 02:53 PM (870)

Fix it yourself relatively easy that's what you tube is for
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-Dec-2015, 08:53 PM (120)

Maybe learning to control your bike is a better solution than thinking a lawyer would help you rode better.

Get some training and help yourself. You obviously need it.
schuppi, gdayjr and Rev. Brian like this.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-Jan-2016, 10:47 AM (699)

The ABS units typically fail because of owner neglect. By design, brake fluid is hygroscopic. That means it absorbs the moisture that would otherwise accumulate and then corrode the internals of your master-cylinder, calipers and ABS pump. However, the brake fluid can only absorb a very limited amount of moisture. Thus the need for regular brake fluid flushes and system maintenance. Owners who neglect the system will experience system failure. Not exactly the fault of BMW, is it ?

I also ride a 2003 BMW K 1200 GT which has the power boosted EVO ABS system. It's a very complex system, expensive to service so I bought the very simple funnel tool that screws into the top of the ABS pump and the DVD. Cost was about $ 40, now I do my own maintenance. One word of warning: Do NOT use DOT 5 or any silicone based brake fluids! Only problem I've ever had was actually caused by a low voltage situation when the original battery was 5 years old and very tired. So the question to the OP is.... did you service your ABS ?
mikec and schuppi like this.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-Jan-2016, 12:38 PM (776)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quarterday View Post
I have a 1200 GSA 2007 supertanker, about 9 months ago the ABS and link failed, but due to the ridiculous price BMW put on the supply of another same as the original ABS modulator with no guarantee it wont fail in 3 years. I decided I would just ride with out it.
No more having to turn off the ABS when you hit the dirt, It was good.
Yesterday on a raining wet straight road on the bitumen when overtaking a car, I saw the blinker go on to turn right.
I backed off ( speed was no more than 80Ks and not aggressive) touched the front brake with respect.
Next thing I am on the ground sliding beside the car.
The bike slid with crossed up on the crash bar, Head protector and foot peg and slid to a stop.
I slid the way Phil Crump would be proud of.
The barrel protected my leg my bum just slid slightly on the road.
Very Lucky.
Am I going to fix the ABS so it wont happen again. NO WAY Im not givig BMW another cent.
I believe there should be a class action about their ABS modulators.
Apart from that, Love the Power.
Keep riding.
Quarterday
thats good you are okay,
the brakes on my 2008 yamaha always lock on me.. im so happy i got abs now. it feels great.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 27-Jan-2016, 06:26 AM (518)

I am a believer in ABS having seen riding buddies who could not get stopped in wet conditions when I did. The AMA also proved this in a test with 6 riders ranging from expert to novice in wet conditions on a test track. That said I certainly understand your frustration with cost issues with BMW. There are shops that rebuild ABS units for about $600 I believe (had an acquaintance get one rebuilt in Philadelphia), I just looked to see if I had the company contact info and I don't. It was a BMW car shop as I recall. Best of luck.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW R1200GS Forum : R1200 GS Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode