GSA tip-over at stop sign... - Page 2 - BMW R1200GS Forum : R1200 GS Forums
 14Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-Sep-2014, 10:36 AM (650)
GS (and DR)

So far I've been able to lift my fallen GS every time but once. I was in an inch or two of loose sand that covered very hard packed dirt. The tires kept sliding away from me in the loose sand as I tried to lift. I waited for a buddy who was ahead of me to get tired of waiting and come back to help. My other choice would have been to dig small holes to hold the wheels... I didn't think the National Park Service would appreciate me digging holes in the dirt roads they try to maintain
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-Sep-2014, 11:09 AM (673) Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kemo Sabe View Post
With a full tank of gas, I have to be really careful not to let the bike get over too far. Can't stop the fall, and worse, I can't get the bike up, without help!
With 30L of motion potion in the tank, the GSA is a tad 'top heavy'. As you say... once it starts to go, there's no way to save it...

John...
post #13 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-Sep-2014, 11:17 AM (678) Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by marc View Post
So far I've been able to lift my fallen GS every time but once. I was in an inch or two of loose sand that covered very hard packed dirt. The tires kept sliding away from me in the loose sand as I tried to lift. I waited for a buddy who was ahead of me to get tired of waiting and come back to help. My other choice would have been to dig small holes to hold the wheels... I didn't think the National Park Service would appreciate me digging holes in the dirt roads they try to maintain
Wow... you were lucky you had a riding buddy with you...

So cool reading all these stories... Thanks for sharing!

John...

post #14 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-Sep-2014, 11:43 AM (696) Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kemo Sabe View Post
No matter what, I love the GSA and it's ability to do what I want...haul a load of camping 'stuff' to wherever, and comfortably!
Amen!
post #15 of 25 (permalink) Old 16-Sep-2014, 09:42 AM (612)

Low sided after turning in sand that I thought was 1/10 as deep as it actually was, that was down number 1.

Bit it twice on the same ride in some deep mud ruts, not sure that was technically a crash since the bike was basically still upright after I was dismounted.

Earlier this summer I bit it going down my hilly driveway that was washed out with rain ruts, tried to throttle lift the front end from one rut to the next without thinking big bike + full tank + gravity not helping = embarrassing crash in my driveway.

Each time I had <$100 damage and my crash bars now bare the evidence of my excursions, scars that are proudly worn.

I haven't been down on the road yet (knock on wood) but I am very wary every time I stop, once that puppy starts tilting there is no way to stop it without injuring yourself. I look at the grade and determine which foot I want to have flat on the ground before coming to a complete stop each and every time.
desertduster likes this.
post #16 of 25 (permalink) Old 17-Sep-2014, 12:48 PM (742) Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kev242 View Post
Big bike + full tank + gravity not helping = embarrassing crash in my driveway.
This is it eh.... the GS and GS/A are big, heavy beasts that when full of motion potion, are top heavy. 'Extra' caution is required. Definitely not a nimble 200 lb. motocross machine with a tiny fuel tank.

John...
desertduster and Seafris like this.

Last edited by grandpa_bambu; 17-Sep-2014 at 12:51 PM (744).
post #17 of 25 (permalink) Old 13-Dec-2015, 04:40 PM (945)

Been there and done that...

I can't tell you how glad I am to here I'm not the only one that has done this. I had been pouring over which bike to buy for months and finally decided the BMW GS was the bike for me.

The next day after trailering my new, fully loaded, 2016 GS home I decided to take a quick jaunt across town. Mind you I have ridden for over 10 years, but took about a 5 year hiatus from riding so I'm a little rusty. I was almost home and feeling mighty proud on the new machine. I stopped at a stop sign that had an awkward blind spot. To make matters worse, the road came in at an angle so when starting off it was almost an immediate turn to get through the intersection. So as I eased forward to gain a better look at the traffic I let the clutch out a bit too far. The bike made a small lurch forward as she petered out it started to roll to the left I just couldn't stop it! Slowly but surely she went straight to the ground! How could this have happened?! I've NEVER dropped a bike...

Well I quickly brought her back upright, dusted myself off, and continued on course. Thankfully there was not a soul within sight. Shew! I managed to save my dignity. Lol. Seriously though the bike didn't have a mark on it when I got it home to inspect.

I specifically didn't buy the Adventure model for several reasons. 1.) I didn't care for the ride height 2.) The machine just felt wider and a bit more intimidating for the dirt. 3.) The owner of the dealership, who rode for BMW professionally for years, doesn't care for the crash bars and recommended the protective composite valve covers instead. I am glad I took his recommendation. Those plastic (or rubber?) covers did a fantastic job.

There's a lot of forgiveness on these machines. Having ridden crotch rockets most of my life I know what the side own of my old bikes would have looked like given the same set of circumstanes.
desertduster likes this.
post #18 of 25 (permalink) Old 13-Dec-2015, 06:33 PM (023)

I came very close to dropping my first GS (a 2007 model) when stopping on a road that sloped down on one side, for the same reason: the road wasn't where I expected it to be when I put my foot down. I just managed to hold it up though.

I learned a lesson from that and always look to see if the ground is sloping to one side when stopping, and reach for the ground with the foot on the up-hill side.

That seems to be a lesson everyone has to learn when switching to a tall bike like GS.
post #19 of 25 (permalink) Old 13-Dec-2015, 09:38 PM (151)

Garage
I was riding Route 33 North of Ojai today (first ride!), came around a corner, and saw a pickup and two cycles on the (very large, sandy) outside shoulder: Looked like someone had crashed. I straightened up and did an emergency stop, brought it in nice and clean, then felt her going over to the left. The shoulder was softer than I thought, and I eased her down softly, got off, picked her back up (whistling...nothing to see here), and went on to help the rider pull his bike up an 8 foot embankment.

She's definitely heavier than my Wee-Strom...but we had a great time out there. The crash bars are there for a reason; Everyone uses them (although not everyone will admit to it.)

2007 R1200GS
2008 Suzuki DL650 V-Strom (RIP, Movers snapped frame)
2006 Suzuki DL650 V-Strom (RIP, Rear-ended by a texting driver)
post #20 of 25 (permalink) Old 13-Dec-2015, 11:33 PM (231)

Once a GS gets to a certain lean angle at a stop, there's no stopping it! , but Hepco Becker crash bars are the same color as ACE Hardware silver metal flake spray paint!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW R1200GS Forum : R1200 GS Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode