GSA tip-over at stop sign... - BMW R1200GS Forum : R1200 GS Forums
 14Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 23-Aug-2014, 05:37 PM (942) Thread Starter

GSA tip-over at stop sign...

Hey everyone...

This is embarrassing, but aren't they all?

Was at a group demo ride with my local BMW dealer today. I rode a 2014 GS and GSA. Both were awesome... It may have been my imagination, but the GSA seemed to have a tad more git-up-n-go over the GS.

Anyways, was second to last in a group of about 10. We were all at a stop sign. I approached the stop and as I put my feet down, the GSA started to lean to the right, and continued until it was on its side... I thought, WTF just happened? When I got back on my feet, two of the other riders helped me put the GSA up-right. The section of road at the stop sloped considerably towards curbside. That, with the GSA being a tall beast, my right foot didn't meet the tarmac in time. Very difficult to save a heavy ride like that once it starts to go over. Very embarrassed to say the least...

Brush yourself off and Carry On...

John
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 25-Aug-2014, 10:39 AM (652)

Send a message via Skype™ to wallace912
Don't feel too bad, I've done that twice since getting my 2014 GSA in March. Luckily the bike is a tank, and nobody was around to see my shame.
kramdunc and x7289155 like this.
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 25-Aug-2014, 05:32 PM (939) Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallace912 View Post
Don't feel too bad, I've done that twice since getting my 2014 GSA in March. Luckily the bike is a tank, and nobody was around to see my shame.
Thanks for the kind words... Wouldn't have minded as much if it was my own bike. I damaged (slightly) someone else's stuff, and that bothers me immensely. I did offer to pay for the parts that were damaged, but the BMW rep/salesman said "Not to worry, it's part of doing business".

Sorry to hear that you've had a couple of tip-overs... Was it very difficult to get the bike upright on your own?

Will definitely be ordering crash bars for the 2015 GS. Crash bars aren't the most attractive accessory, but sure helps prevent serious damage to the bike itself... as I found out.

John...

post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 26-Aug-2014, 07:41 AM (528)

Send a message via Skype™ to wallace912
The first time I struggled a little to get it upright loaded down with gear, seeing my baby on its side gave me the adrenaline to get it done though. Second time wasn't so bad without gear and better lifting technique.

Crash bars come standard on the GSA so there was little to no damage on mine save a few scuffs on the panniers. Builds character I guess.
x7289155 likes this.
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 26-Aug-2014, 05:28 PM (936) Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallace912 View Post
Crash bars come standard on the GSA so there was little to no damage on mine save a few scuffs on the panniers. Builds character I guess.
Battle Scars...
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 28-Aug-2014, 07:46 AM (532)

Sadly been there done that

Changed from Harley (both feet down - I'm cool) to BMW, dropped it twice within the first 24 hrs, and immediately ordered the crash bars when I got back. An absolute must for the bike. Of course never been over again but oh so close!
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 28-Aug-2014, 01:03 PM (752) Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlujet View Post
Changed from Harley (both feet down - I'm cool) to BMW, dropped it twice within the first 24 hrs, and immediately ordered the crash bars when I got back. An absolute must for the bike. Of course never been over again but oh so close!
Did you get the full crash bars, or just the lower (cylinder) bars?

John...
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-Sep-2014, 05:26 AM (435)
I'd rather be flying

After my first tipover, 20 miles away from civilization, I bought Hepco Becker crash bars for the cylinder heads. Been over 4 times total now. Nothing has been over 2 mph though. Seems like the bike wants to stay up unless it's stopped. Twice I tried to save it from going over and twice I let it fall because I knew that there wasn't a chance. Crud, sometimes I set the bike on the crash bars just to see how hard it is to pick up again.

You're lucky that the bike didn't pinch or break your leg when it fell. Put your foot in a gutter and let the bike crush your leg on the way down or something.
PoppyGreg likes this.

'97 R1100R
'02 K1200RS
'04 R1150R
'04 K1200GT
'05 R1200GS
'08 R1200RT
'14 R1200GS
'16 R1200RS
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-Sep-2014, 06:14 PM (968) Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamWebber View Post
You're lucky that the bike didn't pinch or break your leg when it fell. Put your foot in a gutter and let the bike crush your leg on the way down or something.
Well actually, two of my toes got crushed... Ouch!!!

They'll heal though... It's all good.

John...
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-Sep-2014, 07:09 AM (506)

Location: Upstate SC, between Asheville, NC, and Greenville, SC
Tip overs

With a full tank of gas, I have to be really careful not to let the bike get over too far. Can't stop the fall, and worse, I can't get the bike up, without help! (had some illness which has weakened my legs quite a bit) But, the bike rides so well, and I finally got the hang of what to do to 'keep the bike' from tipping over...didn't take long after dropping it three times to know that no off roading for me until I has at 100 percent strength! And, you do have to watch to make sure the foot doesn't get crushed by the cylinder or ?...I know!

No matter what, I love the GSA and it's ability to do what I want...haul a load of camping 'stuff' to wherever, and comfortably!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW R1200GS Forum : R1200 GS Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode