How NOT to lay down an R1200GS in Florida - BMW R1200GS Forum : R1200 GS Forums
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Dschnoerr

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 12-Oct-2015, 05:12 PM (925) Thread Starter

How NOT to lay down an R1200GS in Florida

Planned my first dual sport ride in Central Florida the end of September. Had a great ride up the highway from Ft. Lauderdale to Mt.Dora near Orlando. Rained every hour on the half hour until I reached the hotel for the night. Most of my gear dried out over night and I had enough extra to make up the difference. We met early Saturday morning and there were over 130 riders signed up for the dual sport and road trips to the Gulf Coast. Estimated to be about an 8-9 hour ride. I was very excited and wondered how much of my youth riding motorcross would make up for the very wet and muddy trails, on my big adventure bike.
It turned out that after only a few hours the challenge of riding the off road and mud sections, it became evident that my 30/70 tire choice would not help in these conditions. I did not want to be out there by myself so I hooked up with Justin a guy from Georgia who said he grew up riding on Central Florida trails. His new KTM 1190 R seemed small compared to my Beemer, and he seemed to ride conservatively enough for me to keep up with him.
We just had crossed a big sippy hole, and I lofted the front wheel and Justin powered through with a great display of a watery rooster tail. We laughed and gunned the bikes down to what we perceived to be the next obstacle. I got the clutch enguaged with no time to get both feet back on the pegs when I ran into a huge muddy pile and slowly layed the bike down with either the panniers or cylinders on my leg and immediately felt that I had broken it.
I leaned a lot that day...there is not such thing a too much boot, and to ride and crash with your feet and legs on the pegs safely nestled between the panniers and cylinders. Plus, 30 or more years erases a lot of skill sets. Thanks to Justin, I quickly got medical help and I am planning my next ride as soon as I mend these broken bones.
JapanMan41 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 16-Oct-2015, 12:21 PM (723)

Thumbs up Me too.

Oh man. I just moved from Japan to Bahrain and had my 08 GSA shipped here. It took about three months for the move and bike to arrive so I've gotten a bit rusty at ridding. Well as soon as the bike came off the truck I jumped on that big boy and tore across the sandy desert parking lot at the hotel I was staying in until my things arrived. A big crowd gathered as in this area of the world not too many people have the means to own one of these bikes and so I guess was feeling like a star. Long story short I pulled a big wheelie and laid it down hard on the right side smashing my right foot to pudding. Not good for the new job. Anyway, hope you're healing up well do feel alone with your broken bones. Take care.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 18-Nov-2015, 02:23 PM (849)
Fisherman on 2 wheels!

Garage
It happens buddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dschnoerr View Post
Planned my first dual sport ride in Central Florida the end of September. Had a great ride up the highway from Ft. Lauderdale to Mt.Dora near Orlando. Rained every hour on the half hour until I reached the hotel for the night. Most of my gear dried out over night and I had enough extra to make up the difference. We met early Saturday morning and there were over 130 riders signed up for the dual sport and road trips to the Gulf Coast. Estimated to be about an 8-9 hour ride. I was very excited and wondered how much of my youth riding motorcross would make up for the very wet and muddy trails, on my big adventure bike.
It turned out that after only a few hours the challenge of riding the off road and mud sections, it became evident that my 30/70 tire choice would not help in these conditions. I did not want to be out there by myself so I hooked up with Justin a guy from Georgia who said he grew up riding on Central Florida trails. His new KTM 1190 R seemed small compared to my Beemer, and he seemed to ride conservatively enough for me to keep up with him.
We just had crossed a big sippy hole, and I lofted the front wheel and Justin powered through with a great display of a watery rooster tail. We laughed and gunned the bikes down to what we perceived to be the next obstacle. I got the clutch enguaged with no time to get both feet back on the pegs when I ran into a huge muddy pile and slowly layed the bike down with either the panniers or cylinders on my leg and immediately felt that I had broken it.
I leaned a lot that day...there is not such thing a too much boot, and to ride and crash with your feet and legs on the pegs safely nestled between the panniers and cylinders. Plus, 30 or more years erases a lot of skill sets. Thanks to Justin, I quickly got medical help and I am planning my next ride as soon as I mend these broken bones.
Don't feel bad Dschnoerr, just got back from GA/NC where we rented a cabin with three other buddies. Got there safely but the next morning (1st day of real riding) it took ten yards for me to lay it down and sprain my ankle enough to spend Saturday & Sunday staring at the fireplace

The interesting part was Monday putting my Sidi Adventure boots back on with a grapefruit on my ankle. That said, if it weren't for these boots I would have a cast on. In my case I'm well versed on the jump off or tuck my legs against the bike but the toes just caught enough dirt to twist it.

Any how, when ever you get better drop me a line and we can go hit some roads here in central FL.

Get well soon!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW R1200GS Forum : R1200 GS Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode