Watch the wind blow my bike over - Page 2 - BMW R1200GS Forum : R1200 GS Forums
 9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-Apr-2019, 02:54 PM (829)

I dropped my GSA a couple of weeks ago in some thick, loose, washed gravel. Couldn't get a foothold, especially with a weak leg from back surgery in November. Got out my Dirtnapper Jack from the pannnier and picked up that iron pig slicker'n snot. Took longer to get it back in the sack than to put it together and pick up the bike. Worth every penny.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-Apr-2019, 06:18 PM (970)

that's the only thing about these big massive beasts that scare me. I'm not a fairly large guy in stature and having to sit on top of a 530+ lb. bike and keep it balanced on some weird angles always gives me the hebeejebees... I was at a light on the way home from just picking up the bike and a strong gust caught me and I can feel the weight of the bike as it leaned over with the wind. I really had to brace myself and lean it over to the opposite side just to keep it upright. Anyways, I'm hoping that the crash bars that I bought for her would help out in that one occasion that I don't catch it right on time. Anyway, ride safe out there. Cheers!
Southpaw likes this.
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-Apr-2019, 06:36 PM (983)
Old Man on a Bike

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by judgedelta View Post
I dropped my GSA a couple of weeks ago in some thick, loose, washed gravel. Couldn't get a foothold, especially with a weak leg from back surgery in November. Got out my Dirtnapper Jack from the pannnier and picked up that iron pig slicker'n snot. Took longer to get it back in the sack than to put it together and pick up the bike. Worth every penny.
RE: Bold, Never heard of that... had to google it. Interesting device! I wonder if the ratchet strap were replaced with a (crank with ratchet) if it wouldn't be more user friendly. The drum could be big enough to wind the whole length of the strap. Also the increasing diameter as the strap winds would afford a variable gear reduction that would reduce initial effort, yet gain speed as the load lessened when the bike transitioned to upright.

2017 R1200GSA Low Suspension
2012 K1600GTL
2005 Harley VRod

post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 14-Jul-2019, 05:57 PM (956)

Quote:
Me like! Really, whats another 4 lbs when you have an iron mule..Ha!,
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 15-Jul-2019, 08:20 AM (555)
'05 R 1200 Gs

Inflatable exercise ball and cycle pump work great to pick up a bike.
dcysurfer likes this.

'05 1200 GS
post #16 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-Nov-2019, 08:31 PM (104)

Dropped my GSA trying to turn around on a (flat) gravel parking lot. I know how to pick up a big bike. I've used the technique on a Goldwing, a K1600, RTs, and GSAs and it works. But this time I couldn't get my pig up, not sure exactly what the issue was. Then I pulled a groin muscle. I decided to unload it (duh!) and try again - success. Put everything back on, mount the bike (oh, the pain) and head for the nearest motel, spent the evening with a crotch full of ice cubes and a bottle of Aleve. Lucky for me it was just a minor pull, only bothered me 3-4 days.

Physical fitness is important. It's easy to think riding is all about situational awareness and fine motor skills. It is, until you get below 1 mph - that's when physical strength and how to take advantage of it is important. Leg lifts (front and side), squats, pushups, planks - I find that lower and upper back issues go away the stronger I am.

2016 R1200 GSA Low
2015 R1200 RT (traded)
2012 K1600 GTL (traded)
2011 R1200 RT (totaled, RIP)
post #17 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-Nov-2019, 10:19 PM (180)
2019 R1250 GSA

Garage
Quote:
In my opinion, the DirtNapper is a piece of crap and a waste of money. I only purchased it because the vendor assured me it would safely lift a 600 lb bike (like my 2019 R1250 GSA). Mine worked once and on the second and third time I had to use it, the strap broke. I only got out of a tough situation because I knotted the breaks together. I contacted the vendor and asked for my money back and the vendor said he would replace it and wanted the hardware back for analysis. I sent the defective hardware back to him on my own dime but I told him I didn't want a replacement. It's been 4 months now and I have never heard back from him.

There are stronger/beefier lifting devices out there than the DirtNapper.
Attached Images

Current Stable:
1914 Flying Merkel
1946 Indian Chief
2003 Harley Davidson Dyna Glide
2019 R1250 GSA

Last edited by Mark_M; 07-Nov-2019 at 10:49 PM (200).
post #18 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-Nov-2019, 02:37 AM (359)

Mark_M, I got tired of waiting on the dirtnapper never being available and long wait times after payment made and with more research found these people had a stronger, similar set up. Weight is 7#'s 12 ounces, but I had the motobikejack in 3 days. It's much more heavy duty than the dirtnapper.

https://www.motobikejack.com/

https://youtu.be/KNZGYyMNlDk

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #19 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-Nov-2019, 09:14 AM (635)
2019 R1250 GSA

Garage
I havenít used it yet, but I replaced the DirtNapper with a DustRiders Hoist.

https://www.advmotorrad.com/dustriders-motorcycle-hoist

Current Stable:
1914 Flying Merkel
1946 Indian Chief
2003 Harley Davidson Dyna Glide
2019 R1250 GSA
post #20 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-Nov-2019, 07:11 AM (549)

Cheap solution

I keep a 4" x 4" piece of plywood in my tankbag for this very reason. Can throw it down on loose surfaces an not worry of a tipover.

1. Take a breath and keep calm
2. Watch videos on techniques
3. If needed wait for help

I ride solo alot...I think #1 is most important.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW R1200GS Forum : R1200 GS Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode